It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Piers Morgan Feeling The Heat For Ali Comments, Fair or Not?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Well of course. Vietnam finished a long time ago.very little need for it after that. Many years of parkinsons can be very persuasive.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   

I wouldn't know. I was born in 1968 and the media was nothing like it is today when I was growing up. I do remember that the four biggest sports heroes of the day , as seen by a a child, were Ali, OJ, Bruce Jenner, and Pete Rose. That was in the mid 70s...so his remarks of a few years earlier didn't
destroy him

Don't know Pete Rose but Ali, OJ and Jenner..... wow you had an interesting bunch to look at. Who could have guessed where they'd end up!?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
a reply to: tommo39

Could say he was a coward/treason, but I would have faked a religion to get out of war too, like many others. Oh and he wasn't the greatest. He was the greatest entertainer but not the best boxer of all time. Sugar ray Robinson is regarded as better.

No no no he was anything but! I don't know why you'd even go there, he was a true conscientious objector who didn't fled to Canada, but stayed put and faced the music like a man.
Maybe you just don't like the man or his religious leanings, and that's ok but Sugar Ray for all his glory inside the ring didn't have much impact outside it, and that's why he will always be remembered as the Greatest.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy
"Show me a hero , and I will prove hes a bum" - Pappy
So yes , everyone has a "darkside"
Peace.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
So cos he didn't go to Canada, that means that he didn't join the religion to avoid his duty to his country. I agree with his political stance on it, and I admitted I would have done similar things, but to ignore the obvious reason for it is just silly.

Many people in america would see it as treason or some other similar definition. He had a duty to serve his country and hid behind a religion. He felt he was better than the average man (defo in terms of charisma) and didn't need to serve the country that provided for him (let's not get too political, plz no BP quotes ).

If sugar ray proclaimed to be the greatest on a consistent basis, he would have been regarded as the greatest. He just didn't self proclaim. Simple. 91 fight wins in a row is a different league.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
So cos he didn't go to Canada, that means that he didn't join the religion to avoid his duty to his country. I agree with his political stance on it, and I admitted I would have done similar things, but to ignore the obvious reason for it is just silly.

Many people in america would see it as treason or some other similar definition. He had a duty to serve his country and hid behind a religion. He felt he was better than the average man (defo in terms of charisma) and didn't need to serve the country that provided for him (let's not get too political, plz no BP quotes ).

If sugar ray proclaimed to be the greatest on a consistent basis, he would have been regarded as the greatest. He just didn't self proclaim. Simple. 91 fight wins in a row is a different league.

Did he hide behind his religion?? wrong choice of words here, he did it because he didn't believe in a war that treated his ppl as second class citizens to go fight a war he had nothing to gain from, half the states in the nation he couldn't even vote 2yrs prior and would be harassed in 1967 if he tried.

On April 28, 1967, with the United States at war in Vietnam, Ali refused to be inducted into the armed forces, saying “I ain’t got no quarrel with those Vietcong.” On June 20, 1967, Ali was convicted of draft evasion, sentenced to five years in prison, fined $10,000 and banned from boxing for three years. He stayed out of prison as his case was appealed and returned to the ring on October 26, 1970, knocking out Jerry Quarry in Atlanta in the third round. On March 8, 1971, Ali fought Joe Frazier in the “Fight of the Century” and lost after 15 rounds, the first loss of his professional boxing career. On June 28 of that same year, the U.S. Supreme Court overturned his conviction for evading the draft.
www.history.com...

This was a man prepared to go the distance on principle , his religion was not an out.
edit on 6-6-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I don't get it.

What's the relevance of comparing a sports celebrity with a presidential candidate?

Is Trump supposedly "OK" because he's "less inflammatory than a sports celebrity"?

Is that Piers' golden-standard regarding qualification to be "leader of the free world"?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
It seems Piers Morgan finds himself in the spotlight, perhaps unwillingly. Seems a tweet that just may have some truth to it has upset the usual suspects...

Piers Morgan poked the hornets’ nest Sunday when he highlighted a double standard among Muhammad Ali’s fans — that the late boxer espoused more radical views on race than Donald Trump.

www.breitbart.com...

As you can see by the tweets and the videos in the link, Big mouth Piers does make a pretty good argument. The question is, is it fair to bring up everything about a well known and respected figure, good and bad, and let the world judge them on those merits?It seems that if you talk about a well respected figure, there are always some bugaboos involved. Ghandi, MLK, Ronald Reagan, Etc., it doesn't matter, they're human and have shortcomings and faults. So is Piers within the margin of error here? Is the outrage directed against him warranted?

If Ali had ever ran for office then it would have been appropriate to raise them I guess, but he never did. The fact Piers Morgan considers himself as a personal friend of Donald Trump obviously has absolutely nothing to do with why he would seek to make such a comment.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Like I stated I agree with what he said and his justifications for not going to war. Without islam he would have been imprisoned. He avoided it for religious reasons and his popularity as a sportsman.

Islam isn't something you can just do for a couple of years. You would think nearer death he would embrace it more to prepare for "heaven" but he didn't. He didn't follow the correct Islamic burial procedures. But he could have given up on god after many years of pain.

Either way great boxer. Just not the greatest in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage
I think it's a coded message to try and get rid of arsene wenger, like 90% of his tweets.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Piers Morgan cares only about publicity. His career lives and dies on his ability to create a storm of publicity and outrage around the things he says.

We should all just ignore the nasty little moron until he shrivels up and finally just goes away.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Of course he's playing the race card. Ali, a black man who grew up in racist pre civil rights era can say whatever he wants because White people of the same generation have said AND done worse.

Jesus Christ.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: IridiumFlareMadness

Isn't any surprise you have heard no hateful rhetoric coming from Trump BUT you have heard hateful rhetoric coming for. The left?

Deny ignorance much, or ever?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Because, right wing self gratification, that's why.

The man just died and here they are calling him a racist while Trump, they claim, is an angel.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

I don't remember Ali running for president on a hateful rhetoric ticket so why is Piers playing the race card?

I think it is a fair criticism of Ali..

Those who don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it.

Not calling out other races for racism has been pretty damn bad for America imho...

How many racists use " but they get to have BET, why can't we have Whote TV??" As an excuse for their racism???

Where would the conservative action groups have gone if black lives matter, had chosen "all lives matter" as their tag line?

Not calling such things out is ammo for the worste kinds of people.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Apples and oranges.

No one ever treated Trump like a second class citizen because of the colour of his skin (was it always orange)?
They did that to Ali though.

Why shouldn't he have a little bitterness as a result?
From what I've seen and read, he grew out of it. Isn't that all any of us can do?

Pierce should look in a mirror sometime.

(BTW I don't buy a lot of what's aimed at Trump either, it's generally the left who skew the debate on immigration into something that involves hating on a group).

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I honestly think celebrities and athletes get too much media attention when they die. It seems to me they're put on a pedestal and praised as if their lives were much more important than everyone else. You and I probably know many people who have lived a much more giving and loving life without the glamour, money and attention celebrities have received. The media will talk about these celebrities for days acting like they've lived an exemplary life! Everyone thought Bill Cosby was just such a figure until the accusations of raping numerous women came to light.

Nobody knows what these celebrities harbored in their secret and private lives. How often are some well-known people found later to be physically abusive or harbor some perverted tendencies. Why does our society continue to put money, power and stardom ahead of many average nobodies who contribute much more to society?

The contribution and importance of Celebrities, Athletes and Musicians to society is nothing compared to Doctor's, Surgeons, Engineers, Scientist, Paramedics, Teachers, Biologists, Environmentalists, Social Workers, Nurses, and many other occupations that directly save human lives and improve our human advancement. It seems like our priorities are skewed and we think nothing of paying millions for entertainment rather than for life saving occupations that directly affect the survival of the human race.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Apples and oranges.

No one ever treated Trump like a second class citizen because of the colour of his skin (was it always orange)?

From what I've seen and read, he grew out of it. Isn't that all any of us can do?

(BTW I don't buy a lot of what's aimed at Trump either, it's generally the left who skew the debate on immigration into something that involves hating on a group).

Bitterness twards those who have wronged you is perfectly fine..

Bitterness tward a whole race of people because of the actions of some....now that is a whole nother ball game, and literally the definition of racism.

It was a different time then though and that kinda talk wasn't really addressed on either side.

The whole point of not being racist is that you DO NOT judge a whole group of people because of the way they were born, or who their parents were.

I'm just saying that the undeniable hypocracies associated with American culture's veiw on race has hurt the left's case.

Where would racists go if they were the only one using the N word?

Where would they go if there were no BET, or really it's name was changed lol.

Where would they go if BLM had claimed "All lives matter"?

No where that was logically defensible....

The

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Well put!

I to have questions.
Why would you leave your country and way of life if it is so good?
Then come to other country's and try to recreate what you just left?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: SprocketUK
Apples and oranges.

Bitterness twards those who have wronged you is perfectly fine..

Bitterness tward a whole race of people because of the actions of some....now that is a whole nother ball game, and literally the definition of racism.

It was a different time then though and that kinda talk wasn't really addressed on either side.

The whole point of not being racist is that you DO NOT judge a whole group of people because of the way they were born, or who their parents were.

I'm just saying that the undeniable hypocracies associated with American culture's veiw on race has hurt the left's case.

Where would racists go if they were the only one using the N word?

Where would they go if there were no BET, or really it's name was changed lol.

Where would they go if BLM had claimed "All lives matter"?

No where that was logically defensible....

The

Trouble is, who was the group that oppressed him and other black people back in the day? The exclusively white government.

I agree with you that we shouldn't hate a whole race for what some are responsible for, but we ain't all Ghandi, are we?
He was just a man like any other (but with prodigious talents)

Can't blame the guy for letting loose a few times and he did, after a time come out of it.

I ain't going to judge him harshly because of that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join