It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Johns Hopkins Chief of Psychiatry Says Trans Movement is “Collaborating with Madness”

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

That this fellow is retired says a lot - he's out of the politics, and can now speak freely and honestly. Hes right, too. Sad how many would rather see people continue to suffer, just to push an agenda.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

This whole trans bathroom debate is getting out of hand. Who is making mountains out of mole hills, liberals or conservatives, both?

Either way, like the gay marriage debate this to will fade and I look forward to it.

+28 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Do you have these threads on alert or something, where every time someone types "transgendered" on ATS an alarm goes off in your house and you sprint over to your computer?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
When Islam takes over and Sharia is the law of the land ... problem solved.

Thanks a lot, 0bama.

That's actually an interesting point.

The left is pushing opposing causes. All the transgenderism nonsense is in direct opposition to flooding our border with far more conservative cultures/migrants, those largely being Mooslims and Mexicans.

It's an evil agenda which will spark a civil war down the road. Defending Islam and radical elements within, Sharia, while pushing some of these ultra-progressive causes is laying the foundation for a split society and more division.

If people think some Americans are closed minded about parts of this, imagine how this transgenderism would go over in the numerous Sharia dominated areas throughout Europe. Women get raped there just for being white.
edit on 5-6-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Freija

I shouldn't bother responding to what has now appears to be an anti-transgender campaign you are waging but this just shows your _________________. Couldn't say what I wanted without breaking those pesky T&C's

Of course you can't say what you wanted because you would have to respond with facts and you don't have any. Keep pushing people with your Trans agenda because people are getting fed up with it and the backlash will be epic.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
a reply to: Annee

Do you have these threads on alert or something, where every time someone types "transgendered" on ATS an alarm goes off in your house and you sprint over to your computer?

I read most threads.

"Speak What You Know"

I speak when I know what I'm talking about. I keep quiet when I don't.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

I'm not being skeptical here - well maybe a little - but do you have a source you could find for that first statement of yours? Or a direction you could point me in?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

If people think some Americans are closed minded about parts of this, imagine how this transgenderism would go over in the numerous Sharia dominated areas throughout Europe. Women get raped there just for being white.

Ironically, many of those "intolerant muslims" that you try to scare people with, like the muslims in Iran, are MORE TOLERANT than their christian counterparts in the US. In the US transgender people fight numerous state and federal bureaucracies for the simple right to use the restroom. In the US, numerous state governments seek to strip transgender people of equal rights. In the US, many transgender people pay the high cost for surgery out of pocket, because neither the government or insurance companies will do so.

In contrast, as of 2008, Iran carries out more sex change operations than any other nation in the world except for Thailand, and will pay for up to half of their surgical costs. They also change necessary government documents like birth certificates and passports, without the bureaucratic mess we have here.

Go figure.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I agree with the psychiatrist if you identify with only 0.5 per cent of the population you aren't normal,and when society starts catering for every 0.5 per cent that pops up its lost the plot.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon

Ironically, many of those "intolerant muslims" that you try to scare people with, like the muslims in Iran, are MORE TOLERANT than their christian counterparts in the US.

I scare people with intolerant Muslims?

Intolerant Muslims who chop off heads, blow people up, rape and murder throughout the Middle East on a daily basis, never mind that extremist Muslims are the biggest murderer of other Muslims, do more than needed to make most question the sick elements within.
edit on 6-6-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Text
Why do so many people look to shrinks for the final answer on societies pressing issues?

At the core of most of the so-called studies is a bias and the study geared prove their version of morality.

This goes for conservative as well as liberal view points.

You will never prove transgender is moral/normal and you will never prove it's not. Same with two parent ultra conservative families.
edit on June 6th 2016 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I'm of the opinion that adults can be whatever/whomever they want. I've only walked in my own shoes but can perhaps argue a logical point.

It wouldn't surprise me if transgenderism were a 'mental illness' or product of an organic brain injury..

There's a correlation between PTSD sufferers and transgenderism - many people who decided to have gender reassignment surgery were ex-veterans.

An Australian trans man recently had a stroke and awoke from surgery 'cured' of his/her biological need to be male. He later had reasignment surgery to transition back to being female.

Sadly the facts are that 1 in 3 trans people commit suicide within 3 years after reassignment surgery. This is way too high for a 'cure'. Is it caused by personal expectaions of the surgery result? Strangers dirty looks and comments? Which bathroom to use? The inability to have a 'child of their own' - having body parts which look female or male but are infertile and still genetically male/female? I don't know.
Many people who have reassignment surgery actually have reversal surgery back to their original genders with most doctors who offer reassignment surgery also offer reversal surgery.

The fact that suicide rates are so high is very sad

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ReprobateRaccoon

Sadly many are pushed into having gender reassignment surgery by the Iranian government as homosexuality is punishable by death.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   
The doctor deserves a nobel peace prize for his common sense and integrity.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yes, Paul McHugh has been thoroughly debunked. He is a religious right wing nut who is closed minded when it comes to anything outside the fundamentalist Christian world. He has no track record of success with his suggested "cure" for people with gender dysphoria.

You know, is it any wonder that suicide rates for transgender people are high? They are constantly being told things like - you're mentally ill, you're a sick freak, you will be the cause of the end of our society, you're a predator, a danger to kids, you're going to hell, no one wants you around, etc., etc., etc. And I'm not even going into the physical abuse many of them suffer. How would any of YOU be able to deal with that every day of your life, in addition to the torture of having to deal with living in the wrong body?

While the research is fairly new, it is becoming more apparent that the earlier a person with gender dysphoria transitions (before puberty's permanent effects), the happier and more well adjusted they are. Their transition is much more successful, and they can assimilate into society with no one except their closest friends and family ever knowing what they were before. Once they are accepted as a normal member of society and as the gender they identify with, they tend to have very happy lives.

It's like you people actually want them to suffer. You tell them they are wrong to have the gender dysphoria and you tell them they are wrong to try to fix it, but you offer no successful alternative. Therapy alone has never solved it. Anti-depressants don't solve it. Anti-psych meds don't solve it. Praying doesn't solve it. Ignoring it doesn't solve it.

If you think hormones and surgery is not the way to go, then what is a REAL solution that is proven BEYOND THE SHADOW OF DOUBT to work? Hmmmm? Give me your research. Give me your data. Give me your proof.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I have to admit that I am sliding. I was always 100% on the side of trans people because I believe that you can be in the 'wrong body'. I have always vehemently argued for the trans community even though I am also aware that there are a lot of 'pull alongs'; people with mental illnesses or those that would do anything to be the centre of attention.

Of course in a civilised country they fortunately have to go through a rigorous assessment before they are even considered for reassignment operations. But even then the end result seems to be not always what was needed. This MUST be acknowledged, because something isn't as easy as thought.

I am still on the side of true trans people but unfortunately the freedom to 'come out' has attracted those I mentioned above. It isn't fair for the rest of us who really can't know what's going on.

I am slipping because of the hostility towards people who's opinion it is that being trans is not 'quite normal'.

Those that don't understand trans people have a right to disagree, who can blame them, they have never been through it and all they see is guys putting up make up [some in a really awful way] and then demand unquestionable acceptance.
Everyone is to change their minds immediately or they feel the wrath of the 'community'.

I don't like extremes in any case. In ANY case. Not from haters and not from those who have more insight.

I think trans people have to at least try and understand when others don't 'get it'. They can't because they have never been in that situation. You may have; but the major majority on earth can only go by what they see and hear and read and then decide. For some it will never acceptable, for others it's no biggie.

Name calling or insults from the trans community will not be very helpful in changing their minds.

Just saying.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Trans people are simply outliers to what is normal, just like any other brain function or physical outliers.

The problem I see, is that with all the attention they are getting, more and more people who are not, claim to be, or convince themselves that they are.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I guess the doc hasn't heard (or does not want to hear)...it has been depathologized by his peers (or betters, in this case).

Still, while for many people the devil will be in the details, in its larger sociopolitical impact this ranks with the major declassification of homosexuality in 1973. Our greatest accomplishment on the Working Group was reconceptualizing the state of “being trans” from a mental illness to a normal human variant. Now accepted by the American psychiatric community (and years ago by the psychological), this conceptualization defangs the most potent arguments of the opposition, which often portrays trans women as sexual predators. Back in 1990 trans persons were lumped together with pedophiles in the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), reflective of a common misperception that trans women were inherently deceptive and fraudulent, monstrous beings whose only purpose was sexual assault on the innocent. This new edition of what passes for the consensus of the medical community regarding issues of sexuality finally brings trans persons into the light with the rest of the community of humanity.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 6-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

As I said, the latest research shows that when a person with true gender dysphoria starts transitioning before the permanent effects of puberty, that person is usually much happier with the results. Yes, if someone waits until they are 30 or 40 or 50 years old, there is only so much that can be accomplished, and the end results will often times be disappointing.

Some people whose opinion it is that it's "not quite normal"????? Wow, I have never yet heard anyone on here say that being trans is not quite normal. If only people would actually say it that way, instead of the way they usually state their differing opinions. Sick tranny freaks is what I usually hear. That's not the same at all as "not quite normal". If only people would say things like "I just don't understand it". A trans person would get that and not be upset. Instead, everyone claims to have expert knowledge on the subject. And that "expert knowledge" is that transgender people are sick freaks.

There have been at least a couple of trans people on this site who have tried to be calm, rational and understanding of the confusion surrounding people with gender dysphoria. They have told their personal stories, they have provided mountains and mountains of research studies, data and statistics from the mainstream medical community in an effort to educate. One of those trans people was bashed so much as a result, that she left ATS in frustration.

I get that it's hard to understand this. I still struggle sometimes to understand it. But the difference between me and the haters on this site, is that I have gone to the effort of listening to those who have gone through it, I have spent hours reading the research, I have read personal testimonies of many trans children and adults. I am trying my best to understand it. I don't see that effort coming from the haters. They claim to be experts and refuse to be educated. And yeah, that frustrates those in the trans community who have tried to educate. And it frustrates me.

No one is asking that you go find a trans person and make them your best friend. But don't pretend to be an expert on it when you are not, and quit hating on someone who hasn't done one thing to you. (I am using the general "you", not you personally)
edit on 6-6-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

The problem I see, is that with all the attention they are getting, more and more people who are not, claim to be, or convince themselves that they are.

Hence, the value of counseling. Therapy usually tends to separate out the people with true gender dysphoria and the others.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join