It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Van blocks passing lane. Driver calls number on van, politely asks him to move. He does!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The actual phone conversation begins at about 1:05

Whats the saying, "you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar".

Its true!

And it feels good to be polite to others.

Not just in real life but on forums and message boards as well.

Pass it forward and lets make the world a better place!

edit on 5-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: title

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I noticed the crafty burger making the phone call, went back into the inside lane to let a couple of vehicles through first though...just in case?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
that was cool, polite and a very proper way to make a reasonable request. Bravo

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

So it's legal in The U.S. to use your mobile phone whilst driving?

If you did that in The U.K and where spotted by The Police, it would be a fine and points on your license.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

It goes state by state. This would be illegal in the state of New Mexico, but not Florida. However you cannot text and drive in Florida, but the way it is written lol you can just say you were looking at the time.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

yeah, the enforceability of phone laws is beyond speculative. especially when police are humans, and violate those laws reguarly as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I spoke with some officers once who were perched at an overpass with camera binoculars.

They would snap photos of people txting in their cars going down the highway and would forward the photo to the next overpass where a second set of officers were realing folks in like nobody's business.

Locstion Bham al.

B

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It appears to me that the person making the call was going over the speed limit. He had to pass the bob tail truck on the left to pass. I am pretty sure the truck was moving at the speed limit or a bit faster. So everyone was speeding IMO except the plumbing van that was called.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
It appears to me that the person making the call was going over the speed limit. He had to pass the bob tail truck on the left to pass. I am pretty sure the truck was moving at the speed limit or a bit faster. So everyone was speeding IMO except the plumbing van that was called.

That sounds about right, though I would say white van man was also cooking it just a smidging, as for mobile use, it's a disaster.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Ceeker63

nobody does the speed limit on highways, and don't try to claim you do at all times either. The point the driver was making is that the left lane was for passing, and the van is holding it up. Unwritten rules of the road, if you gonna maintain a constant speed that is slower than others, stay in the right lane so people who need to pass you can just go to the left.

In New Mexico you cannot so much as be on the phone for any purpose period, you will be pulled over and cited. In Florida, the offense for texting and driving can only be cited as a secondary violation after you have been pulled over for something like a seat belt or running a stop. You cannot be pulled over solely for appearing to be texting on your phone, mainly because it is so difficult to prove that you were guilty of just that.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

I know of a city that has a law making it illegal to talk and drive. How would you know? They have a sign posted. The sign is placed as you enter the city but it is not posted everywhere. Someone not knowing and is talking and a cop sees you. Busted. Pay up. Greed!

edit on 6 5 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Much nicer than the typical road rage stories we can find! Good to see the polite attempt, and even better to see it taken as such, and a polite response! Rare, these days.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: Ceeker63

The point the driver was making is that the left lane was for passing, and the van is holding it up. Unwritten rules of the road, if you gonna maintain a constant speed that is slower than others, stay in the right lane so people who need to pass you can just go to the left.

That's not really the point, white van man was overtaking the tractor rig and he did, and if you look in the distance it's quite discernable that another slower vehicle, which is a long rig is coming up fairly quickly, which he also passes. That's a period of around 90 seconds for both manoeuvres a pretty short time, but in the meantime the call was made...that's all we see at that point, nothing before. I see no reason for white van man to duck in at that particular time, since he also had a need to pass at speed.

top topics

join