It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Mandela Effect:" A Falsifiable Theory

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The "Mandela Effect" is the mysterious phenomenon du jour, banishing the "Trumpets of Doom," "2012," and the imminent return of the invisible planet Nibiru to the dust heap of the paranormal past. The "effect" manifests itself as a firm belief that something someone has recalled as a fact has apparently changed. The classic examples: the Berenstain Bears were once the Berenstein Bears. Nelson Mandela died in prison. Darth Vader tells Luke Skywalker: "Luke, I am your father." All of these seem to be simple examples of mis-spelling, mis-remembering, or mis-hearing. The crux of the effect is that the memories and beliefs of the experiencers are correct, and that somehow reality has changed, or that reality has remained the same and some external power has somehow changed the experiencers' memories.

In order to explain these supposed discrepancies, people have generated a number of theories based on the assumption that their memories are correct and accurate. Some believe that they have crossed over to another reality. Others, that this reality has changed. Some detect an external power effecting changes in external reality, others believe these powers effecting changes in their minds. All of these explanations can be categorized as "supernatural," because they require assumptions that go beyond the usual constraints of consensual reality. They invoke theological systems or interpretations of quantum theory that are not falsifiable, and therefore not scientific.

The "effect" can be easily explained in a way that allows falsifiable predictions to be made. There are several factors involved: mis-perception, inattentiveness, poor or inadequate education, fallible memory, over-generalization, and, of course, outright hoaxing.

Let us dispose of this last first. Some people thrive on the attention they get by making outrageous claims on YouTube. Examples of the "Mandela Effect" on YouTube will steadily escalate. JFK was never assassinated and was defeated by Richard Nixon. The Soviet Union were the first to land on the Moon. Marilyn Monroe never died, and made movies with her husband, Richard Burton, until the 1980s. You get the idea. This is a falsifiable theory. If there are hoaxers, they will continue to make ever more outrageous claims.

Next, mis-perception. There are many cases of this. Song lyrics and screen dialogue are apt to be misheard. There is an entire body of collected examples called "mondegreens." (This comes from a mishearing of a ballad. "They hae slay the Earl of Murray and laid him on the green" was heard as "They hae slain the Earl of Murray and Lady Mondegreen." Here is a link to some examples:

www.uh.edu...

This explanation predicts that people will suddenly discover that lyrics they have known by heart their entire life will suddenly change. Specific example: someone will suddenly discover that instead of singing "Gee were all the salads great" in the opening of "All in the Family," Archie and Edith sing "Gee our old Lasalle ran great," which are the correct lyrics.

Other examples of mis-perception:

This is not a cube. It is nine line segments on a plane. We are so accustomed to Western art conventions that we actually perceive it as a cube, although it is not.

A similar effect is at work here. This does not portray a parallel universe, it is, in effect, an optical illusion produced by our brain's assimilation of artistic conventions.

As for inattentiveness, sometimes we do not look or listen carefully enough to reach the right conclusion, then remember this faulty conclusion quite accurately:

A casual look at this map might lead one to believe that there is a land mass at the North Pole, when in fact, this map indicates an ice sheet there. Maps are an especial source of bedevilment. Depending upon their projection, they can lead to all sorts of errors. Some make the northern hemisphere look to large, others overlook the spherical nature of the Earth and make things that practically abut one another look extremely distant. (Alaska is often on the far left and Siberia on the far right, obscuring the fact that they are only a few miles apart!

This aspect predicts that people will "remember" that the Golden Gate Bridge was destroyed by the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989. It was actually a section of the Bay Bridge that collapsed, but since the Golden Gate Bridge is better known, lack of attention to detail can conflate the two. The "experiencers" will then claim that they distinctly remember seeing film of the collapse:

Inattentiveness explains a lot of the "changed" spellings, especially when combined with over-generalization. "MacIntyre" is a common Scots-Irish name. An Appalachian might choose to spell it McEntire. The "stein" ending is common among German-Jewish names. It is easy to assume that Ukrainian Jews would spell it the same way.

This allows the following prediction: People will claim that the spelling Muhammed Ali's name has changed. This is because the transliteration of Arabic names is not consistent. It is sometimes spelled Mohammed, sometimes Muhammed, sometimes even Mahmood!

Pivoting off Ali, celebrity deaths are always springboards for the "Mandela Effect." This is due to over-generalization with a dash of inattentiveness. As celebrities age, they tend to avoid the public eye.They want to be remembered as young and charismatic, not old and ill. (Groucho Marx was a notable exception.) Sadly, paparazzi will snap pictures of aging celebrities and gossip rags will print them with shocking headlines like "X's battle with cancer" or "Y's final days," leading to the impression that they are on the verge of death, when, in fact, they are simply aging. If the celebrity continues to fade away, it is easy to assume that they have died, when, in fact, they were merely in retirement. This is what happened to Vincent Price, possibly the first mainstream example of a "Mandela Effect:"

I made this specific prediction in another thread: When Sir Sean Connery passes away, hopefully many happy golf playing years from now, people will "remember" that he died of throat cancer a couple of years ago.

Here are some more predictions I have made based upon the above theory:

At some point, someone will claim that the Panama Canal has "changed." Instead of going East to West, connecting the Atlantic Ocean with the Pacific Ocean, it now runs North-South. It has always run North-South, due to local geography, although our habit of thinking of the Atlantic being in the east and the Pacific in the west makes us assume that the canal runs that way.

Another prediction: someone will claim that Japanese Americans were interred in Alcatraz during the Second World War. In fact, they were interred on Angel Island, another island in San Francisco Bay.

I challenge anyone to make specific predictions based on their own explanations of the "Mandela Effect."

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Beautiful thread thank you I dig into it now

Time is greatly affected by gravitational fields. Furthermore, your perception of time is affected by conditioning. The combination of gravitational fields and social conditioning has resulted in most human beings finding themselves marooned in the constraints of space and time.

The Fifth Dimensional Perspective: Transcending Space and Time

When you shift your identify into the fifth dimension your personal history in this life seems like a dream ...

Georgi Stankov I have decided to publish this message from the Hathors as it very well presents the energetic aspects we are now experiencing, while transitioning from the upper 4D to the 5D. We are now overcoming this huge structural threshold between the upper 4D and the 5D and higher dimensions, where the perception of space and linear time and the influence of gravitation is being dissolved and one enters a complete different level of Being, which is very fluid and multidimensional. The musical meditation at the end is indeed very powerful and helps attune to the liberty and fluidity of 5D.

I can only confirm that we are now very intensively preparing ourselves for this transition. This night I had a repeated dream of bilocating myself again and again on a lower 4D timeline and Carla was holding the energetic balance of my fields from the 5th dimension, while being present with me at the same time.

During these bilocation and manifestation tests, I was getting the information how difficult it is for us to manifest on lower 4D timelines, once we have ascended and that this capability must be carefully trained with combined efforts. As to confirm the validity of this dream experience, Carla told me this morning upon awakening and before I shared my dream with her that she had absolutely the same notion during her nightly meditation. Much of this experience is reflected in this very congruent message channelled by Tom Kenyon.

www.stankovuniversallaw.com...
edit on 5-6-2016 by Tehthehet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Tehthehet

When you shift your identify into the fifth dimension your personal history in this life seems like a dream ...

I distinctly remember the Fifth Dimension doing Soul.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Very well put together post S&F for you. I believe as your post suggests, the Mandela effect is not real.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Keep it simple. The Mandela effect is a psyop, designed to get us to question whether anything is real or not.

That way, the people at the helm can continue to perpetrate acts of evil round the world and we all just go, meh, nothing is real, am I real, whats real?

Due to the volatile, rewritable memory of computers, everything in the record can be altered by the gate keepers and key masters. Kind of like book burnings of another empire, expunging the past, rewriting history as we go.

Thing is, those that were there still remember what really went down and hopefully will continue to whistle blow for for everyones benefit.

The truth is this still small voice, the lies are loud and from every corner.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeviantMortal
Very well put together post S&F for you. I believe as your post suggests, the Mandela effect is not real.

Thank you. The "effect" is very real, it's just not what the "experiencers" like to think it is. It is essentially the opposite of deja vue. In deja vue, something new seems to appear familiar, in the "Mandela Effect," something familiar appears to be new.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Keep it simple. The Mandela effect is a psyop, designed to get us to question whether anything is real or not.

Are you implying that a vast psychological warfare program targeting random individuals with false memories is simpler than people being mistaken?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Social destabilisation and transition

I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world revolution, we...must undergo a radical revolution of values...we must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, extreme materialism and militarism are incapable of being conquered.[1]Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

p2pfoundation.net...

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Mods, might I recommend an applause for this gentleman?

Good stuff DJW. If there is, or has ever been an occurrence that could be defined as a true "Mandela Effect", it will have to remain in the realms of science fiction, because we have no way of proving it or measuring it at this time.
edit on 6/5/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Are you implying that a vast psychological warfare program targeting random individuals with false memories is simpler than people being mistaken?

People are mistaken alright, by the simple notion (repeated everywhere) that reality isn't real, the past isn't real, you aren't real. Hologram sauce, anyone?

Its not some 'vast' program. Just a few people dedicated to seeding an idea, far and wide on the internet. This is taken up and repeated by people that buy into it, eventually creating more doubt about whats real or not.

Combine that with other not real notions like TV, movies, Disney, circuses and zoos, church, computer games and yes the Internet, stir and serve…

no wonder people aren't sure whats real or not or even their own identity.

edit on 5-6-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I've almost come to think of it as a superstition.

Superstition: noun

a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.

a system or collection of such beliefs.

a custom or act based on such a belief.

irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, especially in connection with religion.

any blindly accepted belief or notion.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Now I get you. There may be something to that. Certainly, the Flying Saucer mania of the 1950s and the psychedelic culture of the 1960s were manipulated by intelligence agencies for their own ends... something like that may be at work here, although, like those other examples, it is probably mostly sincere.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Tehthehet

By discrediting everything we believe in they destroy and divide our fabric, yes. We don't believe in anything except self an our stuff anymore. Divided against each other, in endless competition and conflict.

Notice how little people pick up on that overall? They rather argue endlessly about Star Wars characters, Nibiru, and the "Berenstein Bears" (wtf?), all of which are fabrications anyway.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

Or, you could be lost in the simulation. Unwilling and unable to see the constricts you have placed on your self.

Glitches in the program, whether meant for us to notice or not, are to be written off as false memories. You have to keep this going, otherwise your paradigm is blown wide open.

Science is a religion, in many regards.

Keep playing within the rules, and you will always have rules.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Signals

Or, you could be lost in the simulation.

Or I could be a figment of your imagination. In what way would that hypothesis be useful?

Unwilling and unable to see the constricts you have placed on your self.

I am actually extremely open minded; I need to be to dispel my delusions.

Glitches in the program, whether meant for us to notice or not, are to be written off as false memories.

What proof do you have for your belief that there is a "program?" You and I both know that people sometimes have false memories. Why dismiss something everyone knows from experience in favor of something for which there is no proof?

You have to keep this going, otherwise your paradigm is blown wide open.

Actually, you are the one with a "paradigm" in need of constant reinforcement.

Science is a religion, in many regards.

No, it is in no way a religion. However, believing that reality is really a computer program with no proof or even evidence is.

Keep playing within the rules, and you will always have rules.

Keep doing the opposite of the rules and the rules will continue to control your behavior.
edit on 5-6-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Wouldn't keeping it simple in this case just mean that a certain % of people believe their memory and mind is infallible when that isn't the case with mankind?

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Both referencing The Wizard of Oz flying monkey scene both saying "Fly my pretties, Fly!"

The wicked witch does not say this in the movie she sais "fly fly fly"

It is no wonder people are so sure in their memory when other material keeps reinforcing it.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
it's just a way to kill time on the net.

I don't think anyone truly believes it.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Since old Brucie stopped presenting Strictly and is now reported to be in poor health and of ripe age, I reckon there'll be no shortage of people claiming Forsyth was long dead.

For conversation's sake, I went a long time believing Daniel Bedingfield and Kel Mitchell were dead too.

Oh, and in my reality, drainpipes and plimsolls are poor form.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: intrptr

Wouldn't keeping it simple in this case just mean that a certain % of people believe their memory and mind is infallible when that isn't the case with mankind?

Some. I am visually oriented, I have a pretty good memory for my experiences. Read my signature, though…

top topics

<<   2 >>

join