It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway reportedly agrees on banning new sales of gas-powered cars by 2025

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wow amazing! What really perplexes me is why we can't get back to alcohol and hemp as fuel I mean weren't the original cars designed to be fueled on those anyway?

electrek

The four main political parties, both from the right and the left, have agreed on a new energy policy that will include a ban on new gasoline-powered car sales as soon as 2025 – making it one of the most aggressive timeline of its kind for such a policy. What’s probably most remarkable here is that Norway is currently one of the world’s largest Oil exporters.

So what the hell are they going to do to make money??

While representatives from the Democratic Party and the liberal Party have corroborated Dagens Næringsliv’s story, representatives from the two parties on the right have told the aftenposten.no that they have not yet agreed on the rule.

It looks like it's on the table and not really a solid deal yet. However just the fact that their talking about is great. Does this mean they will invest more into alternatives?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
What happens to all the owners of original cars. Do they get compensated?

Also EMP is the new shhs today. Good luck out running a tank with Electric vehicles.
edit on 4-6-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Hide them in your garage as future investments.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Unless a radical world changing development occurs in the meantime , I betchya that is one deadline that will be pushed back. There is nothing on the horizon. Been watching that for years.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Just a few questions:

1) Does the ban cover hybrid cars as well? I know that hybrids have decent ranges of travel. However, purely electric cars, not so much. One of the City agencies I work with has introduced electric cars into their fleet and speaking with the people that drive them, in a city environment, they get about 80 miles per full charge (which, they are not happy with). By comparison, my little gas powered car gets about 350 miles per fill-up.

2) Does this include big rigs? Delivery trucks? If so, are they expected to stop every few hours to recharge? Are there electric trucks that are powerful enough to haul heavy cargo?

3) I know nothing about Norway's government structure, but is it in their power to introduce such a ban? (To be candid, in the United States we have a constitution that is constantly disregarded by politicians).

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

There's probably been an alternative hidden in some secret lab for 60 years.

I'd bet on it.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Way to go Norway!

It's really depressing as a U.S. Citizen.. living in what is supposed to be the greatest country in the world.. and seeing all of these European countries mandating the adoption of new clean revolutionary technology, and universal healthcare.

We here in the US need to follow suit

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Our system of government is outdated. The European countries have had the luxury of rebuilding after ww1 and 2.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Our government isn't outdated. There's a difference between governing a country of 5 million and a country of 350,000,000. They have no diversity and no illegal immigrants. They are a homogenous microcosm.
edit on 4-6-2016 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I don't know about the original, but the legend has it rockefeller talked ford out of an electric car waaaaay back

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Cool idea! OPEC is probably a little bummed, but sounds good to me.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

After the "shortage" of 1973, Brazil mandated all fueling stations carry gasoline, diesel and ethanol to let the market competition dictate price and to lessen dependency on one product. GM has a huge flexfuel vehicle plant there

you can make better decisions if your government isn't owned by special interests

It doesn't matter your demographics, its about principle and ethics

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: makemap

Hide them in your garage as future investments.

Srry, but there isn't enough park space for all those cars. They are all going to be removed one way or another.

Unless they have a way to turn original vehicles into electric that would be a less resourceful project.
edit on 4-6-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Stupid plan on their part.

No good alternatives exist, and thus banning what works best is more a political move than anything else.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Hydrogennnnnn.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
Wow amazing! What really perplexes me is why we can't get back to alcohol and hemp as fuel I mean weren't the original cars designed to be fueled on those anyway?

electrek

The four main political parties, both from the right and the left, have agreed on a new energy policy that will include a ban on new gasoline-powered car sales as soon as 2025 – making it one of the most aggressive timeline of its kind for such a policy. What’s probably most remarkable here is that Norway is currently one of the world’s largest Oil exporters.

So what the hell are they going to do to make money??

While representatives from the Democratic Party and the liberal Party have corroborated Dagens Næringsliv’s story, representatives from the two parties on the right have told the aftenposten.no that they have not yet agreed on the rule.

It looks like it's on the table and not really a solid deal yet. However just the fact that their talking about is great. Does this mean they will invest more into alternatives?

I nearly started a thread on this last week when I saw it on AOL. As far as I can seen the ban will be on diesel and petrol engined vehicles, or basically only having zero emmision vehicles then. It's a tough one, but then the trend is in that direction and what goes around comes around, and it looks like the Nordics don't want to mess about.
My biggest doubts lie in the reliabilty of the electric heavy use technology in everyday road conditions thus far, and that being the measure that Norway will need to more than ponder on.
A good instance is the new electric VW Golf has a problem where the motor can suddenly die, that could be a serious event in a critical situation. Granted it is a software problem, but that also brings me to bring up the point that these all electric motors are in all electric vehicles, everything is electric based, that means everything electric needs to work, and in all conditions, along with any mechanical bits, however electric motors work best in pristine conditions, as do most electronics, and this idea of a nine year cut off point that Norway has, is to me just totally unrealistic.
We already have had those problems in fly by wire, like the Camry's throttle opening wide when they started using those type of electronics in cars, some Rovers did that too, as well as existing, 'transient' events' .... cliches that still occur in todays cars. However it's their shout!

edit on 8-6-2016 by smurfy because: Text.

new topics

top topics

join