It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Carolina High School Prank Upsets Latino Students

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
SOURCE

A group of students at a western North Carolina high school built a wall made of boxes and blocked access to a common area, and their Latino classmates are upset.

Local media outlets report the students were allowed into McDowell High School, about 100 miles northwest of Charlotte, on Wednesday to perform a prank as a teacher supervised them.

The above snippet is the entire article. I will continue to follow this story and provide updates as I learn more.

This story makes my head hurt. I don't know if I should feel outraged, or who I should be outraged at, or if I should feel amused.

While I believe the intentions behind the prank were not meant to be offensive but rather humorous & creative, I am left feeling like it may have been in poor taste.

On the other hand, I also feel like the school's principal was pushing his luck by allowing such a 'prank' to occur.

I can understand why somebody would be offended by this but I am not sure if I think disciplinary action on the students is the right way to handle this situation.

What are your thoughts?
edit on Sat Jun 4 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
If they built it with the purpose of discriminating against their Latino classmates then they are morons and deserve disciplinary action but if it was just a joke then the Latino students need to just over it.

This whiny bs wasn't happening in my school we used to beat the f*** out of each other in the hallways and get in school suspension.

I guess the world is really soft now and we love victims.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I pulled a senior prank when I was in high school and I wasn't allowed to walk the line. I still got my diploma... My mom was pissed.

But I agree with you. As time has gone by the zero tolerance policies have worked their way into the inner framework of our educational system. Parents are very overprotective and everybody is a victim.
edit on 6/4/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
If they built it with the purpose of discriminating against their Latino classmates then they are morons and deserve disciplinary action but if it was just a joke then the Latino students need to just over it.

This whiny bs wasn't happening in my school we used to beat the f*** out of each other in the hallways and get in school suspension.

Seriously! I went to high school in the mid 80s, and being a tattletale was looked down upon. Being a whiner was looked down upon. Getting the " authorities" to fight your battles was looked down upon, unless there was some serious threat like a gun involved. I can't help but wonder if all this sensitive boo hoo stuff, and encouraging kids to get others involved isn't some sort of conditioning to accept the omnipotent power of the government.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   

2 Stars...

This is the first post from you that didn't make me want to pour another Dram and shake my head in confusion. So, in a way, you've let me down.

Spot on...

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well a good counter prank would have been to knock the wall down and run fast into the blocked area.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Or to tunnel underneath it.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

A group of students at a western North Carolina high school built a wall made of boxes and blocked access to a common area, and their Latino classmates are upset.

Why didn't the Latino students build the wall with their own money. Isn't that the plan?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   

The Latino students should have built an Alamo replica.

I wonder if the white students would be offended?

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

i thinks its lazy.

our high school prank was to lift a set of keys that belonged to the principle build a ramp and drive/ push pull a golf cart onto the main building facing main street of which belonged to the football players head coach and then after words put the keys back. all done in one night and the school had to bring in a forklift to get it off. everyone knew who did it but never had prof. my buddy the mastermind didnt flinch once when he was taken into questioning.

kids these days are lazy and overly sesitive

the prank is still talked about till this day towns away no one has came close
edit on 4-6-2016 by DOCHOLIDAZE1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion Once again, its not the latinos griping about it, its liberal white people, just sayin.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FaunaOrFlora

The Latino students should have built an Alamo replica.

I wonder if the white students would be offended?

I would have laughed hysterically in highschool i dont remember getting offended by anything, # i had to fight my way through school i grew up in a tough town.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

Maybe we should just turn this into a thread about senior pranks.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
Seriously! I went to high school in the mid 80s, and being a tattletale was looked down upon. Being a whiner was looked down upon. Getting the " authorities" to fight your battles was looked down upon, unless there was some serious threat like a gun involved. I can't help but wonder if all this sensitive boo hoo stuff, and encouraging kids to get others involved isn't some sort of conditioning to accept the omnipotent power of the government.

Bingo! That is it completely.

There was that rumour or joke where on graduation day, students got 5 pigs, and painted numbers on them, 1,2,3,5,6 and let them loose in the school. When the teachers discovered it, they went to capture the pigs, but couldn't ever find #4...

Imagine who that would piss off these days... it'd be all over the media.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Well a good counter prank would have been to knock the wall down and run fast into the blocked area.

Or build a tunnel made out of boxes under it.. Oo

ahh I am terrible and I don't even live there...

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Or to tunnel underneath it.

OO

You're terrible too !! lol

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   

There is no reason for Latino students to be offended, unless they themselves are claiming that all Latinos are here illegally. Since that isn't the case, and it isn't just Latinos that come illegally, they have no grounds for complaint.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

i wish then we can stop talking about social justice warriors and their feelings

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I'm pretty sure they climb over it 95% of the time.....

new topics

top topics

join