It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind Turbine Noise Causing Chronic Stress In Badgers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I was one of a three man team who dug a well. I've just zoomed in on it on Google, it looks like it's still in use. The water was exactly where the dowser said it would be.

One of the neighbours played loud reggae on his sound system, some days we could hear it above ground. On the days he kept the volume down enough that we couldn't hear it above ground we could still hear the bass line below ground coming through the earth. That instilled in me the knowledge that noise we make above ground can travel further through earth than through air.

It's clear how much badgers suffer from wind turbine noise.

In 2013, we assessed whether the presence of turbines in Great Britain impacted the stress levels of badgers (Meles meles) in nearby setts. Hair cortisol levels were used to determine if the badgers were physiologically stressed.

Hair of badgers living less than 1 km from a wind farm had a 264% higher cortisol level than badgers more than 10 km from a wind farm. This demonstrates that affected badgers suffer from enhanced hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal activity and are physiologically stressed.

No differences were found between the cortisol levels of badgers living near wind farms operational since 2009 and 2012, indicating that the animals do not become habituated to turbine disturbance.

Cortisol levels in the affected badgers did not vary in relation to the distance from turbines within 1 km, wind farm annual power output, or number of turbines.

We suggest that the higher cortisol levels in affected badgers is caused by the turbines’ sound and that these high levels may affect badgers’ immune systems, which could result in increased risk of infection and disease in the badger population.
en.friends-against-wind.org...

Wind turbines have huge concrete foundations that transmit vibration into the ground. What we hear above ground is less invasive. Every creature living underground near a wind turbine is subjected to an audio barrage that, over time, will possibly make life for them unsustainable.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
that line from the western movie comedy....' Badgers....?/?....We don't need no stinking badgers "....

they're tough little mammas....and high strung little muthas...
edit on 4-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

They've always been good to me. The one time I accidentally cornered one it snapped at me but didn't connect. They taste good, like a mixture of everything. Yummm. I wish I had a badger burger now. We need stinking badgers.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Simply put... Karma.

To make it not so simple with the why? Cause they are some mean lil SOBs

Sustainable energy energy screwing them with the wind is just deserts...

Felt like the far left extremists not knowing where to stand cause renewable energy and animals... aww shucks what side to lean on. Being an A hole is not just a human endeavor...

Kinda like thinking of cow as tofu to the extreme might get ya through a tough conversation at some point since Soy is like 99.9999% GMO

cutie

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Never thought before how much sound travels through the earth or how that pollution, especially from wind farms, could effect critters.

Thanks Kester, that was enlightening.

What about roadways, subways, mining, tunnel boring machines, explosives, underground water, gas or petroleum pipelines?

Errgg, we are so noisy aren't we?
edit on 4-6-2016 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
I was one of a three man team who dug a well. I've just zoomed in on it on Google, it looks like it's still in use. The water was exactly where the dowser said it would be.

One of the neighbours played loud reggae on his sound system, some days we could hear it above ground. On the days he kept the volume down enough that we couldn't hear it above ground we could still hear the bass line below ground coming through the earth. That instilled in me the knowledge that noise we make above ground can travel further through earth than through air.

It's clear how much badgers suffer from wind turbine noise.

As my Mum is prone to say, "noise sinks, heat rises".

I am always suspicious about any news relating to badgers, I suspect it to be some rouse to engineer another culling, and given this articles mention of it leading to a depression of the badger's immune system and increase in disease, I doubly suspect it is from those opposed to wind farms damaging their view and who don't want farmers to diversify into clean energy.

I am sure that the wind turbines are vibrationally annoying to the badgers, but I am sure that they, and all the other little furry animals will adapt. Given the amount of other pollutants that they have to put up with from human occupation, not to mention the culls because of a tenuous relationship to Bovine TB, I should have thought vibrations are the least of their worries.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Those badgers are pretty mean critters. Good for them, I hope they get a headache from them.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

Foot and Mouth, the badger cull, the boar cull and fox hunting legislation all seem engineered to create division between humans. I understand that badger related news can be a cause of suspicion, but I think this study is just bringing awareness to another aspect of giant wind turbines.

The study suggests the badgers don't get used to the noise within a few years. The underlying stress will probably always be there, as with us and the jet plane noise overhead.

Here we have badgers living in town, ripping open the bin bags. I saw one running away from me recently, it was so fat it's sides flopped up and down as it ran. Junk food is another stress we're putting them under.

We should be concerned when they start dancing outside parliament.
networkforanimals.org...

edit on 5 6 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 5 6 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

European badgers are friendlier. I should have put something extra in the title to make it clear.

Why on all of the nature shows that I've seen are American badgers in a permanent state of being REALLY pissed off, while British badgers walk right into peoples houses and get treats and pats and seem to be having a fabulous time?

Because they are different species with different habits. American badgers are Taxidea taxis. They are solitary and territorial and are more carnivorous. European badgers are Meles meles. Eurobadgers are social creatures that share communal burrows that eat mostly earthworms. One might expect creatures that live in social groups to be more...well...sociable than solitary creatures.
boards.straightdope.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

European badgers are friendlier. I should have put something extra in the title to make it clear.

Why on all of the nature shows that I've seen are American badgers in a permanent state of being REALLY pissed off, while British badgers walk right into peoples houses and get treats and pats and seem to be having a fabulous time?

Because they are different species with different habits. American badgers are Taxidea taxis. They are solitary and territorial and are more carnivorous. European badgers are Meles meles. Eurobadgers are social creatures that share communal burrows that eat mostly earthworms. One might expect creatures that live in social groups to be more...well...sociable than solitary creatures.
boards.straightdope.com...

I used to post on straightdope years ago. I should go back and visit. I also blogged on a physics site but I was way underknowledged at the time to be on there. Some of the Physicists did teach me how to research and interpret things though, it definitely was not a waste of time on my part. Spent about a year studying many of the things they were into. I learned a lot of the reality of energy back then.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Here we have badgers living in town, ripping open the bin bags. I saw one running away from me recently, it was so fat it's sides flopped up and down as it ran. Junk food is another stress we're putting them under.

Junk food...our wasteful and littering ways. Etc, etc. Same as the people who complain about pigeons, if we weren't such disgusting creatures, there wouldn't be as much of our detritus for them to scavenge on. Rats too. It's symbiosis. Why wouldn't badgers and foxes, and the like, come into urban areas? We've poisoned the "countryside" with herbicides and pesticides, our waste food is probably far safer than the chemically coated food chain they're part of in the "wild".

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Looks like those badgers are getting used to it... there is a dance called the windmill isnt there? Little Don Quioxtes every single one.

But yes sound travels through the Earth by resonance for very very long ways or waves more accurately... ear to the ground in the past to hear herds, in Asia they even buried large metal caldruns like a drum chamber for an automatic ear to the ground that would sound for quakes or large advances of armies.

I suppose having a pet badger would have been a shortcut, Rodney Dangerfield made a whole career out of his honey he claimed to be a badger...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

How did researchers obtain the hair of the badgers? I ask because cortisol levels are thought to rise during the 'flight/fright' response. So if the badgers were caught and the hair collected in a stressful manner rather than collecting hair samples via benign means, such as a hair trap, then I have an issue with this study.
edit on 7-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Good point. I didn't even think about how the hairs were collected. Thank you for pushing me to learn more.

www.fs.fed.us...

NONINVASIVE SURVEY METHODS FOR CARNIVORES

1. Hair corrals are structures that use at least
one strand of barbed wire to encircle an attractant
and are predominantly used to sample
ursids.
2. Rub stations are structures saturated with scent
lures to induce rubbing, and they typically use
one of two types of hair collection devices:
a. Barbed rub pads usually consist of a carpet
pad with protruding nails (or, in some cases,
stiff natural fibers) and are used primarily
for felids.
b. Adhesive rub stations typically consist of
blocks of wood covered with adhesives and
are used mainly for canids.
3. Tree and post hair snares are wrapped with
barbed wire or fitted with alternative hair
snagging devices and have generally been used
to sample wolverines (Gulo gulo).
4. Cubbies are boxes or tubes containing attractants
and fitted with snaring devices at the entries
or along the inside walls and are used
mostly for mustelids but can be effective for
other small- to medium-sized species.
Finally, we have grouped passive methods into
two categories:
1. Natural rub objects are objects found in nature
(e.g., bear rub trees) that are fitted with hair
snagging devices.
2. Travel route snares are hair snagging structures
that target animal travel routes or other areas
of concentration such as dens, burrows, beds,
and latrines. Travel route snares employ one of
three types of hair snagging devices:
a. Barbed wire strands strung across travel
routes are primarily used to sample ursids,
but they have also been used for badgers.
b. Adhesives (such as double-sided sticky tape)
hung across travel routes are used to sample
hairy-nosed wombats (Lasiorhinus krefftii)
in Australia, and have been employed for
some North American carnivores.
c. Modified snares and traps are leg and body
snares or traps that have been adapted to allow
animals to escape but deposit hair samples
in the process. These are used for a variety
of species.

Barbed wire strands strung across travel
routes . . . have also been used for badgers.

This makes sense. Around here almost every place where the badgers pass under a wire fence there will be a few hairs caught on the wires.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

We have to look at the methodologies used in studies especially when it concerns wind turbines and solar energy, because this seems to be the future - a cleaner future.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Emily Gosden, energy editor
4 JUNE 2016 • 8:00PM
England is not windy enough to justify building any more onshore wind turbines, the chief executive of wind industry trade body has admitted.

Hugh McNeal, who joined RenewableUK two months ago from the Department of Energy and Climate Change, insisted the industry could make the case for more onshore turbines in some parts of the UK, despite the withdrawal of subsidies.

But he said this would “almost certainly” not be in England, as the wind speeds were not high enough to make the projects economically viable without subsidy.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

I've just been up and down the country and seen a lot of turbines not moving or moving very slowly. I also stopped for a while beside several turbines. The turbine noise was variable, from a light swoosh to a very unpleasant screeching. I couldn't see any obvious reason for the noise to vary so much within a few minutes.

Small scale wind and solar I can agree with.

Large scale attached to the grid seems too vulnerable to sabotage and price fixing.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Kester, they are redesigning this technology to address many of those issues. Look at this new design - it can only get better and more efficient.

is anticipated that this new blade design will operate in winds eight times slower than the wind needed by other turbines! This means that the Max-V Turbine technology will produce more electricity and for more hours of the day. Turbine Drawing.-2 Currently the wind industry designs aerodynamic efficiency like an aircraft propeller. This results in long thin blades that utilize less than 3% of the available air flow effectively, when measuring the tip area versus total area. Most of the air passes through unaffected. Only the tip of the blade maximizes leverage. In the illustration to the right, all the flow impacts the back plate causing it to accelerate and divert through the turbine blades. These blades are mounted around the perimeter at both the maximum point of leverage and highest flow velocity. As a result all the flow is then utilized for the maximum energy conversion.Metal blade w Cone In addition it should be stated that conventional turbines frequently kill birds by blade impact. With the Max-V Turbine design the birds will see it as a solid object and therefore fly around it, not attempt to fly through it as they do with conventional wind generators. The Max-V Turbine design can also be used as a water turbine in rivers. Water is 780 times more dense that air, so it can produce far more electricity for the same size. Wind comes and goes, but rivers run 24/7 year-round. Thus hydro power can be more reliable and more productive than wind. So the Max-V Turbine technology design will: Utilize as many of the molecules as possible. Accelerate all flow prior to extraction of energy. Divert all flow to the maximum point of leverage. Place all of the blade area at both the maximum point of leverage and the highest flow velocity.

world-harmony.com...

edit on 13-6-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I changed my opinion recently. www.abovetopsecret.com...

We must acknowledge that much green technology has been sold with assurances that the longevity of the equipment guarantees the 'greenness' of the project. When the equipment is replaced in a fraction of the previously claimed time it becomes yet more obsolete consumer junk.

I've personally seen this happen with devastating consequences for the families affected. Meanwhile those who raked in the easy money smirk and waddle off.

Please forgive my attitude, I've seen real suffering occur as a result of over-advertised 'green' technology.
edit on 13 6 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 13 6 2016 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
So now they are badgering badgers ?

top topics

join