It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Heroin Epidemic Crushing America

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It's bad in Kenai AK.

So many people I went to school with are lost, or on the way to being lost. There is no end in sight either. It's actually getting worse as our population grows.

I am always at risk but so far have been wise enough to stay away. It is scary powerful.

Everyone here is just trying to escape some sort of depression.

Luckily I my self am a struggler and will be ok

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Society has got to stop treating people addicted to any drug or substance as criminals and more like individuals plagued with a major health pandemic. Keep prosecuting the distributors per usual proceedure.

We could clear huge amounts of prison space and use the funds wasted on that toward actual effective rehab/medical facilities for the many afflicted with deadly addiction problems.

It COULD be done, it's not out of the realm of possibilities. It won't happen because way too many people within law enforcement and prison circles would lose their jobs. Boohoo.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So do people in America have to pay for all their treatments and have to pay for rehab too??

If thats the case then i feel sorry for those on opiates living over their, the one bright light at the end of the tunnel for myself and people here in Britain is that treatment is completely FREE! I havent had to pay a single penny for my treatment which is a godsend, well to be honest now that ive been made aware of it now its a godsend.

Must be so much harder for addicts to get off it over their because they have to battle with spending what little they have on drugs or treatment, and i bet any money the drugs are cheaper? Lol

The big pharma companies love milking us for our money, no matter what walk of life we come from, makes me sick to be honest. As for legalising the drugs, im not against the idea, and i DO agree with the key points that you have made, but if the government are then selling or giving you the drugs, doesn't it in the long run defeat the object of helping an addict out? Yes it stops addicts comitting crime but then it gives the pharma companies another way to milk money from the addict.

It seems the addict has a tough time from every angle and approach. The most important thing is the support the person needs, most people on drugs that relapse i bet 9 times out of 10 its becauae of lack of support.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ParanoidCovKid

Obamacare has expanded covered for addicts its both a blessing and a curse.

It's given companies the profit incentive and not the humanitarian incentive at triple the cost.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I think a lot of it has to do with people in ivory towers. Either this person won't take responsibility for themselves or their lazy or a minority there's always an excuse why they don't have to help.

The truth is when someone is balls deep into an addiction they are practically mentally disabled.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

For the most part everyone has to pay unless jobless/homeless then they get medicaid which covers pretty much everything. There are so many problems however with our healthcare system, it would require a whole other thread.

The main thing about the addicts here is that they keep going to jail and prison, get out and still use but keep circulating back into the system without ever getting proper care. The criminalization of these people just keeps the problem alive and does nothing to fix the problem.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm right on the cutoff for being a millennial, I've seen a lot of people in my generation turn to drugs but it's not usually kids right as they graduate, it's people in their mid 20's and older who have gone nowhere in life and are looking to lessen the pain. Sometimes that's heroin, sometimes weed, sometimes alcohol. Where I live it's meth and prescription pain killers.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Thanks for being proud of me, i gave you a star for your comment
i have no intentions of touching the filthy stuff again, have got back into training at the gym and have a healthy diet, haven't felt this great in years, lol

I do agree with the key points you make about legalising drugs, but the problem is your not really helping the addict in the long run, your still keeping the addict an addict, lol and if the government make an addict pay for the heroin then its only a change of money going from one dealer to another.

Dont get me wrong it is a step in the right direction, i just feel from experience that an addict would benefit 10 fold from getting a rapid FREE treatment response followed by a great deal of support instead of keeping them on the drugs.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Its the same over here, addicts just keep going round in circles of coming in and out of jail, being criminalised without the propper support and care needed, its a shame really

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Unfortunately the ethic of capatilism calls for the making of money to be the top priority in the countries ethic.

Eventually this will cripple the society. People say its FREEDOM, fine but eventually the ethic of greed and selfishness will take over.

In America the prison industry thrives on the drug trade, so legalization will never happen now that it’s got a price tag on it and is making a lot of money for a lot of people.

Now they are a lobby handing out money to politicians….so nothing will happen.

In fact, the only thing they might do is they’ll tighten up the drug war rather than realizing it’s a lost cause.

Illegal drugs = massive prisoners = more money for the prison industry

You take drugs away there are no more people going to jail in droves to feed the beast.

It’s the same with the crime industry in the inner city. It’s a way to fill the prisons by keeping the hoodlums and gangs on the street running amuck.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I agree for the most part. Prisons have become a business, its sickening. However, there is no system in the world that cannot be corrupted. I wouldn't be so quick to blame it all on capitalism. Capitalism is great when not corruppted. (Lobbyists) I am still completely dumbfounded why lobbyism is legal. Its mind blowing how bribery can be legal while everyone just stands there watching it.

All we need is a reset, which would require a collapse. Unfortunate but necessary.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

If we change our stance on legalization does that mean we can openly study things like Ibogaine? Now let me make it clear that I'm NOT advocating anything but we need to study its effects. I have read many accounts of success stories and talked with many people who have gone to other countries and had success in as little as one treatment. It's a travesty that we ignore things like this because of the FDA and big Pharma and I think part of finding out the truth is removing the social stigmas.

GITA

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I agree we need to move towards a better paradigm consciously making the choice to do so. This open ended money making society is failing the majority of people on this planet.

We need to as a species consciously move into the future carefully and reasses our goals. We need to think bigger then our small countries and out localities and think universally.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Sounds like a vicious cycle to me with everyone with their hands in the money making pie. Forever making more money and feeding the pie with more and more victims.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I was discussing ibogaine in a thread i made last year as i wanted to get my hands on some to get myself of the drugs. I too read many success stories and was personally wanting it as i didnt want to be stuck on methadone treatment for months on end when i had read with ibogaine you only needed the treatment once and it had quite a good success rate.

I beleive we should openly study it because it sounds very promising and could be the next best thing for drug addicts.

Me in my desperation last year made a thread on here discussing about if i got it and where i could get it etc that it would be worth it.

Im glad i didnt though as from what i read you need to be carefully monitored while on it and if i ordered it online i wouldnt of known how much to take so could of killed myself if i went down that rd.

Their are private clinics that do ibogaine treatment for patients but they cost thousands so for most addicts it just a long distance dream unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Culture is our biggest problem in the world right now.

Period.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Already know one affected(murdered) who would otherwise still be into trouble but no ware near the presented danger that has been on the rise;

SPOKANE, Wash. - The heroin use epidemic is happening all across the country and hitting in the Inland Northwest hard. In fact, the statistics are staggering. Nearly 130 people die from drug overdoses every day in the United States. The majority of those deaths are from heroin and painkillers.

Source
Goes on to mention a young women who was told it was alright to use by a parent. Years prior methamphetamine was the normality for some in the region the same with starting to use in childhood. Now with the growing gangs and cartels with heroin, homicides involved with the drugs are more frequent.

The wave of crime from heroin had been spreading to the East Coast for the last ten plus years. Now the even more destructive wave has hit the West Coast, the east needs to be prepared with solutions such as awareness of the drugs and these gangs, etc.

edit on 4-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: more.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Just about every drug has had its time of 'glory and fad' epidemics.

Opium in the late 1800's
Marijuana and acid in the 60's
Cocaine in the 70's and 80's
Meth and ecstasy in the 90's
Alcohol throughout all the ages

Etc etc.

So what does that say about society ?

It says that people will do anything to escape the harsh realities of life, even if just for a little while... and this escapism thing seems to be a common denominator for most humans throughout time, and throughout the world.

Alcohol, drugs, movies, video games, etc... all various means of escapism to some degree or other.

We humans are very much the fallible creatures by nature.

That's what I am trying to say. We need people to guide those of us that can't quite kick it on their own. And not be Salvation Army types that want your money for your job and virtually enslave you. If you're not from a wealthy family

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I've never done heroin. Won't.
Likes me some fern that grows in Colorado, Washington, the district of Colombia,
Gateway drug my ass...

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Parafitt
Who needs heroin.

Just get a bottle jacks. repeat. repeat. and so on. No one cares then, just a drunk, dead in a pool of vomit and urine. No one give a toss.

amazed I am still alive.

I tried the H and what a waste of money
. Give me drink any day of the week especially if you inject it , which gets you where you are going but a lot cheaper and quicker .

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join