It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may never hurt me....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
we should never leave the learning of critical thought to any institution

it needs to be learned at home

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

Thanks for a very interesting OP.

A book that is worth reading... The Open Society and its Enemies.

archive.org...

Amusingly the author is said to have been a difficult man, leading people to remark that the idea of an Open Society was created by one of its greatest enemies

I dislike censorship on principle and agree with you that many great ideas were rejected out of hand when they were first expressed.

Thomas Kuhns book "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" contains many examples.

The Climate of Fear apparent in modern education seems ultimately to be self defeating.

Critical Thinking is simply better and more useful.

I hope...

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If sticks and stones words don't hurt you then you must be a republican because snowflake democrats cant handle ANYTHING,,,,oh but they can handle an American being beaten by an immigrant, that seems to be ok.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: lunatux
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

If I were to present a Dean with a bulletin board leaflet entitled "Students Against Sunrise & Morning" I would fully expect it to be rejected. You see in such a case I am not being discriminated against for having an ardent agenda against morning and sunrise. My bulletin board notice is being rejected because it protests an unchangeable reality about which nothing can or should be done.

Some people are homosexual. They have an agenda which is pretty much the same as your agenda or my agenda. They want to live free of bullies and condemnation and yes even "concern trolls". They like you and me want to make a decent living at an interesting job or profession. They want to have enough to eat and warm place to sleep. They want to meet someone and fall in love and live happily ever after.

All of what I have described is simply reality. It needs to be accepted and respected as such. Colleges are right NOT to promote a view of academic freedom that allows such freedom to be used to advance grandiose arguments that are simply flying cover for hatred.

If you wanted to and the cause was important to you, that is your right. No matter the bias of anyone else. You are allowed to believe in what you want as long as it is not harming another individual.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest
we should never leave the learning of critical thought to any institution

it needs to be learned at home

I agree and disagree with this statement. Not everyone comes from an educated background

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join