It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle University SJW Students Stigmatise Civil Rights Icon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, it seems that the snake is starting to consume itself. And I'm not surprised really. I expected to see fractures among the progressive left once the violence started. It shows that they're running out of "causes" and can't seem to agree on much anymore.

Seattle University has put its dean on administrative leave following a student uproar over a liberal arts curriculum that they claim is “too Western.” The dean’s misdemeanors included recommending that students read a book by civil rights activist Dick Gregory entitled 'n-word'. Even by today’s blinkered standards of student activism, SJW students have got this one horribly wrong. 'n-word', Gregory’s 1964 autobiography which he co-wrote with Robert Lipsyte, is a modern civil rights classic.

I guess I'm not even sure what their angle is here. Are they just trying to get out of doing school work

Source Link

Gregory responded with a sincere letter-

While I strongly support their right to air their grievances, I ask these students to ask themselves if the scale of their movement is appropriate for a curriculum discussion. Can students adequately connect a recommendation to read my autobiography with their larger curriculum issues? I am not offended by Dean Kelly's use of the word “'n-word'.” In fact, I am pleased that she has the foresight to want to give these young men and women the knowledge, insight and experience of a civil rights activist that might just help them understand life a little better. I am disappointed that they seemed to have stopped at the title instead of opening the book and reading its contents.

Link to Letter

I'm at a loss honestly. I think these people are just looking for snip to snip about, and are making some pretty extreme mental leaps for arguments sake.

edit on 3-6-2016 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2016 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

edit on Fri Jun 3 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: censors

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Chickensalad

Have go agree this is pretty silly. The kids needed to do some research on the book before complaining about it.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Wow I'm pretty sure Malcolm X and Martin Luther King are probably rolling on their graves.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

That's pretty much what Gregory said.

Honestly, it seems like some of the "causes" that they've championed lately were ill researched, or based off of tainted or biased info.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Oh, I have no doubt about that.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I am disappointed that they seemed to have stopped at the title instead of opening the book and reading its contents.

I'm am suspicious of this of this as well. It appears that SJW's are a creation of the some "Orwellian" think tank. It will make everyone look so stupid that eventually, we will demand censorship - to protect ourselves from ourselves. The Manipulators will be laughing all the way to the bank.

In early high school - "to kill a mockingbird" was required reading. It helped hone our acceptance of "coloured" or black people.

brisbanetimes.com

''n-word' Brown' stand gone, Coon cheese next on hit-list David Barbeler | September 26, 2008 - 12:54PM An anti-racism campaigner says Coon cheese is next on his hit-list after the Queensland government ruled a controversial grandstand being rebuilt in the state's south would not be renamed after E.S. "'n-word'" Brown. Toowoomba Sports Ground Trust chairman John McDonald yesterday told AAP that while the grandstand bearing Brown's name was to be demolished in coming days as part of an upgrade, the "N word" would be used on a plaque or statue at the new ground. But late yesterday, Sports Minister Judy Spence ruled it would be inappropriate to use the racist term in any way.

edit on Fri Jun 3 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: censors

edit on Fri Jun 3 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Ya his letter was pretty spot on, and his reasoning behind the title is great.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Seattle University is a private Jesuit school BTW...it's not funded by taxpayer money. Let morons be morons and waste their tuition being SJW's and raising a stink.

They have less than 8.000 students as well.

At least its not a state school.
edit on 3-6-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
That is a lucid, well thought-out, intelligent letter.

They need to get him to come out and do a speech there.

I have some academic friends that are shaking their heads at the current climate in universities. They just shake their heads in disgust at how things are going.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

They are college students. Somehow, when they do something they will later understand was a little too far, people are 'speechless' or 'at a loss'. That causes me to be 'at a loss'.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

What do they blame for it? the universities, the public education, TV, what?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

"Don't judge a book by it's cover" as the saying goes. Dick Gregory is definitely an interesting person and they should be pleased to be able to learn about someone like him as part of there studies.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

It's about as stupid as Yale English majors not wanting to study English anymore. It seems the curriculum contains just too much English literature study.

The "Major English Poets" sequence, a mandatory two-course commitment for English majors, is particularly problematic, according to the students. These classes cover Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, William Shakespeare, John Donne, John Milton, Alexander Pope, William Wordsworth, and T.S. Eliot. It's not the most diverse line up, to be sure, but it's the one that best reflects history the way it actually happened. Inarguably, these are the most influential poets in the English language.

So they don't want to spend two courses studying the foundations of English literature? It's too white and male for them. Seems to me there is plenty of room in the curriculum around their two courses to take other courses dedicated to more diverse voices writing in English, but I guess two courses just makes it too hostile.

Why study English if you can't be bothered to learn the roots of the literary canon, even if they are white and male by an overwhelming margin?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Modern "activists" really have no social issues to protest anymore. There are no great injustices that anyone can do anything about. We're all equal and the playing field is as level as it has ever been. So they create issues that don't even exist and twist the truth to what they want it to be. I have zero respect for so called SJW's. Wastes of space. Wish I could say that they mean well, but they don't.
edit on 3/6/2016 by IridiumFlareMadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It's about as stupid as Yale English majors not wanting to study English anymore. It seems the curriculum contains just too much English literature study.

The "Major English Poets" sequence, a mandatory two-course commitment for English majors, is particularly problematic, according to the students. These classes cover Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, William Shakespeare, John Donne, John Milton, Alexander Pope, William Wordsworth, and T.S. Eliot. It's not the most diverse line up, to be sure, but it's the one that best reflects history the way it actually happened. Inarguably, these are the most influential poets in the English language.

So they don't want to spend two courses studying the foundations of English literature? It's too white and male for them. Seems to me there is plenty of room in the curriculum around their two courses to take other courses dedicated to more diverse voices writing in English, but I guess two courses just makes it too hostile.

Why study English if you can't be bothered to learn the roots of the literary canon, even if they are white and male by an overwhelming margin?

Holy Cow!

That's insane
edit on 6-6-2016 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I know, and when it gets to this level, I suspect the real level they want to descend to is the completel scrubbing of the culture.

They really want to be their own little ISIS pawns running around burning all the books and blowing up all the statues and erasing every shred of history they dislike, or even all of it so that no one has any anchoring to any past but what they write and allow.

Scary when you think of it isn't it?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You totally reminded me of a convo I had with my extreme left gf yesterday.

She stated that she thinks cemeteries and the burying of the dead is stupid.

The kicker......she's an anthropologist.......

yeah....

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Sounds like a case of silly students to me. NOt sure I understand how these students are fighting for Social Justice of any kind? Thread title is misleading. I'm a Social Justice Warrior and I'm offended by these students. MLK would have been as well.

top topics

join