It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon Recreational Pot Tax Brings In $3.5 Million In 1st Month

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Can't find a forum to post this in sorry

Oregon officials say they’ve collected about $3.5 million in taxes from recreational marijuana sales in January. The 25 percent-tax on recreational pot sales began at the start of 2016 and the state began collecting the taxes from dispensaries last month. Data released Thursday show the $3.5 million collected came from 253 individual payments.

That’s fewer than the 309 medical dispensaries statewide that have elected to sell recreational pot. Officials say it could mean dispensaries are either late with their payments or they simply decided not to sell recreational pot.

An Oregon Department of Revenue spokeswoman says they’ll have a better idea of the situation after the dispensaries file their tax returns at the end of the quarter.

I wonder what would they spend it on and how would they redistribute the revenue I don't get it

www.opb.org...

edit on 3-6-2016 by Tehthehet because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Mon Jun 6 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Tehthehet

Probably the same thing Colorado is doing, funnel the money into addiction services and education. First thing you want to do is move law enforcement unto more important drug related issues.

Then educate the populace properly, anti DUI campaigns etc. Then use the rest of the money on things the state desperately needs but can't afford.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:13 AM
link   

States will always find something to spend tax revenues on...probably more bean counters and pay rises. Who knows?

Seeing that amount of revenue will be a heads up to the medical dispensaries who haven't climbed on the gravy train yet. It's dollar income aver and above what they already make and seems a no-brainer investment oppo.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Spend the money on a franchise model to promote more dispensaries. Means more money. Then continue the cycle.

But tenth is right. Will go on investment on the side effects/issues revolving around pot. Like cigarette tax, alot goes to the NHS to deal with the problem.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Just goes to show my logic yeah makes sense.. Well that is since January have they mentioned anything ? To me you would do that first before enforcing tax if it is quarterly.. you already answered my question but

these ladies

edit on 3-6-2016 by Tehthehet because: taking it easy

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

so wait if the tax is raised in colorado that revenue can not be allocated to other states ?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Knowing how government work, they will spend twice that amount on administration.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

lol

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tehthehet

so wait if the tax is raised in colorado that revenue can not be allocated to other states ?

State taxes only go to State governments, which can allocate them to individual counties within the State. If it was a federal tax, it would go to the federal government, which could then allocate it to State governments. This is why individual States are starting to legalize marijuana so they can tax it.

ETA: Just woke up so I'm a little bleh right now lol. In other words, my explanation may be off a little...
edit on 3-6-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Damn, it feels good to be an Oregonian.

And this is just the beginning. Wait until the licenses start opening up to more than just dispensaries a little later. Money is going to be just avalanching in.

And the money has been going to law enforcement, education, etc. Kind of like how our state lotto tax revenue is spent.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Legally controlled ... equals less incarcerations.

Less incrcerations ... equals less profit and less investor interest.

Business is business and it is being played out in our face.

Oh ! Wait ...

This is ATS ? ... phew ..

Thought I may have been just a " Bubble in a bath fart." ...

😎😂

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

No thank you it's actually written very well I actually understood that

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

lol I ran from Cali to be here
yep

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

*** error needs google translate *** all I read was 00101111000

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tehthehet

They've earmarked all the money towards specific services. Could they change that?

Sure.

But I doubt it, it's been a very good way of doing things thus far anyway. I would even encourage them funneling the money into programs like body cams for police or technological investments for education.

There's really no bad ideas if you spend it outside of the state budget's most expensive line items.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I would vote for you lol

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

??? its been legal in cali since i can remember, you just have to be slightly smarter then retarded and not a hardore criminal, if you fall into these two categories the cops dont give two shots about some weed. i guess technically though its still illegal, but not in practice as far as the common citizen goes

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Schools, daycare programs, maybe they will bring cursive back in schools and allow music and art?

The school systems in CO are the best, the roads are the best.

This is literally money growing from "trees", its wonderful to have so much extra money for the state.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

I have to admit I wouldn't know but I am curious what they are planning to do with 42mil

And even though it's legal here it still feels like it's illegal

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Oh that money goes up in smoke.

Just like the tax revenue states, and feds collect.

Once they literally blow it.

Tax some more.

Then raise it some more.

Then tax some more.

Then raise it some more.

Come on now people POT should be EXACTLY like Tobacco.

Where people pay MORE just in TAXES than what it actually costs to make.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join