It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama blames high tuition costs on Medicaid, prisons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I was certain he was going to blame Bush.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You do realize that the states used to heavily subsidize education right? Back in the 60's and 70's for example, and even the 80's, the states were paying for a massive percentage of education costs and it kept tuition low. As the states diverted spending to other areas, the feds stepped in with their own funding. The loan bubble in recent years has actually stopped growing (it's not shrinking either though), but state subsidies for education continue to decline. We've got a local college here, 10 years ago 50% of their budget came from the state, today it's only 10%. The cost gets passed on to the students.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure
a reply to: Shamrock6

Where I went to school, we rented out textbooks from the university... Pretty sweet deal. Tuition wasnt that steep either.

The way people generally do it these days, is they rent a digital copy of a book or when available buy second hand online. The only people who ever buy new books from the bookstore are freshmen who don't know any better, or people whose financial aid and situation gives them no other options.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:50 AM
link   
as financial aid increases so does college tuition, ... makes sense, you give students more money their going to spend more, your going to charge more. how about stop giving people free money to go to college with? despite what they say college should not be free and some people just aren't college material.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: jgarc028
as financial aid increases so does college tuition, ... makes sense, you give students more money their going to spend more, your going to charge more. how about stop giving people free money to go to college with? despite what they say college should not be free and some people just aren't college material.

If you're not college material, you're not trade school material either. They both involve standing around and learning from someone who knows more than you. Yet, people on these boards often times suggest trade school over college.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: jgarc028

I might be wrong, but I think that is part of the problem, the actual financial aide in the form of grants and such has decreased and become harder to get or maybe it's just that they don't cover the full cost of the educations anymore, so more and more people are having to resort to the gov't backed student loans. and thanks to the housing crash, we all now know just how valuable those gov't backed loans are to those who deal with derivatives. and how the lenders of such loans don't really have to worry about weather or not the loan will ever be paid off because they are flipped a day or two after the loan is made and the lender has then made their money back!

our debt has become a profitable business venture for some high powered people which makes us having to go into debt a very worthwhile goal for everyone from the college to the lender, to the bribed gov't officials, and onward...

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: jgarc028

If you're not college material, you're not trade school material either. They both involve standing around and learning from someone who knows more than you. Yet, people on these boards often times suggest trade school over college.

No they don't. How would you know that?

My friend just finished his masters thesis in lit. 20,000 words.

Lol, give me a plumbers exam any day.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Looks like the world's problems are soon to be solved.

There is merit in training people for trades. It was common practice in schools years age.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

So the states ran out of other peoples' money.

Sounds like a big government failure.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Well that deserve the triple three stooge face palm.

The cost of hight tuition even after OBama cut out the middle men during is regime of stupidity has balloned student loan debt to over 1 trillion dollars.

Without too much to show for it, other than people going six figures in DEBT don't have a job when they graduate.

That 'high' cost of eduction people ?

Is broken down like this.

1. Teachers pay and benefits are more important than students getting an education.

2. College and universities are more like country clubs with amenities than places of higher learning.

But by all means Oh clueluss leader Obama.

Always gotta be someone else's fault.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
No they don't. How would you know that?

Lol, give me a plumbers exam any day.

Well, we're talking about bachelors degrees here for one. Two a 70 page paper really isn't that difficult to write. Three why does the difference in difficulty matter? Either you can sit around, learn knowledge, and regurgitate it, or you can't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join