It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama blames high tuition costs on Medicaid, prisons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Finally after 7 and a half years, President Obama has decided to share his thoughts about high college tuitions.

He tells us it's the fault of state legislatures that have been over spending for prisons and medicaid !!

He didn't mention however, that perhaps student loan guarantees are an opportunity for colleges to bilk more from the student population.

He never mentioned either that it might take an 80% state income tax rate to pay for everything without bankruptcies.

discover the hidden wisdom ....
Obama blames high tuition costs on Medicaid, prisons

President Barack Obama blamed the rising cost of college tuition on profligate state legislators Wednesday, accusing them of cutting higher education funding to pay for prisons and Medicaid.

“What happened, around the ‘80s and ‘90s was state legislators started saying we’ve got to build more prisons. In fairness to them, they also started feeling more pressure because of Medicaid spending, because health care costs were going up,” Obama explained at a town hall meeting in Indiana Wednesday. “And so they started cutting higher education budgets. And they made up for it with higher tuition.”

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Is your 80% tax rate figure taking into account the massive price gouging that universities take part in to make tuition and books so expensive? Because that's what's happening and your figure seems to be ignoring that fact and acting like the prices need to be that high.

Here's an idea, why don't we lower the cost of tuition across the board. If making it a tax is not doable then we need to make it affordable because right now it's not affordable in any way and is just creating a population of debt slaves.
edit on 6/2/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Wait , in his speech he has declared that he has put an end to all issues in the World. So ,if you believe ( I use that term pretty loosely in this case) in what this president says , there is no longer high tuition costs. I repeat , in his opinion , he has cured the world of all evils
And he stated all such on national tv. He wouldnt lie to the people , would he ? He even put in there he did it all without Fox News help. ( that was a lame , dumba>> statement for a sitting President to make . He doesnt realize how babyish ,ignorant and moronic that deal makes him look)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Where should the colleges start the cuts that could allow for lower tuitions?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
They shouldnt be for profit...

Every person in the country does not need a college degree...especially when you take into account that many people do not do well in a pure classroom environment.

They should not be offering gender studies, or other useless degrees that are only there so someone can pay a lot of money for a piece of paper.

Push other options.. plumber, electrician, Farrier...trade skills where you can make a decent to good living, once schools see every tom dick and harriet isnt going to beat a path to their door pricing will become competitive again and come down.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

How about their profit? That sounds like a nice start.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I wonder how much that profit really is?

I bet it's billions.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I read that the high cost of college tuition is due to supply and demand.

Sal

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Yeah, get rid of their ridiculous and immoral sports programs like football.

But I fail to see what Obama said that was so terrible. He did leave out greed as one of the main factors though.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Wait Medicaid? As in the Medicaid expansion he tried to force all the states to take and then the Feds are gradually bailing out on leaving the states with the higher bills?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

What a buncha okey doke ....
edit on 2-6-2016 by WombRaider69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

Yeah, get rid of their ridiculous and immoral sports programs like football.

But I fail to see what Obama said that was so terrible. He did leave out greed as one of the main factors though.

Keep your mitts off my college sports. Don't like them, don't give them your money.

Getting rid of all those $200 textbooks would be a good start.
edit on 2-6-2016 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I wonder how much that profit really is?

I bet it's billions.

I cant recall off the top of my head.. but I read that some of the ivy league schools have around 100 billion dollars donated to the schools... to supposedly off set costs... yet costs have risen every year.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Free tuition...some day.
Cheers

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

the medicaid system was draining state and local budgets long before obama came into office. matter of fact NY's constant whining and tax increases (to help cover the medicaid shortfall) was one of the things that irked me so badly about living there that we finally moved.
we couldn't afford our healthcare system before obama took office, not on an individual level, not on a business level, and not on the gov't level! obamacare was just the gov't and healthcare industries (insurance included) just telling us all tough luck, pay for it anyways!

so now they are blaming the cost of tuition on the mess they call healthcare, of which they had a big role in creating?
okay, I'll admit it might have played a role. but at some point they are going to have to make an effort to bring both of these back into the price range that a large enough number of people can afford to have buyers for the products and services and stop thinking the the people will just keep going deeper and deeper into debt or their grand house of cards is going to fall...
there's no legislation that can give people the ability to get blood out of a rock, and only decent paying jobs that actually pay wages that allow people to obtain the college education and healthcare is going to keep those segments of the markets operating. regardless of what they might want us all to believe state and federal budgets to have limits when it comes to spending and we've gone over those limits already and credit can only take us so far before we end up with payments so high that they will never be paid back.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

it's not so much the college sports as it is the extremes they will go to competing with other schools for the talent for their teams. some of the college dorms seem to resemble vacation resorts more than they do college dorms.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

it's not so much the college sports as it is the extremes they will go to competing with other schools for the talent for their teams. some of the college dorms seem to resemble vacation resorts more than they do college dorms.

How bout we let schools cut sports programs that lose money and keep the ones that make money?
You can kiss all those women's scholarships goodbye. I bet that would go over well.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Where I went to school, we rented out textbooks from the university... Pretty sweet deal. Tuition wasnt that steep either.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Wrong. Tuition is high because the school cannot get more loans and pass more bond issues without having a healthy balance sheet. The 2 ways you do that as a school: increase enrollment, and increase tuition.

Every college and university in the nation has been under constant construction for the last 20 years. That is why tuition is high.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JaMeDoIt
Free tuition...some day.
Cheers

As a businessman, i support this. Fund it through payroll taxes levied on the employer. Those who employ more high wage positions would have more skin in the game when it comes to acquiring talent. Or maybe fund it through local college tax districts as an inclusion to property taxes for properties not zoned residential.

Ask Canada what the benefits of having an educated populace are. I can tell you, after working side by side with Canadians from 5 different call centers, the average Canadian worker that I have encountered is miles and miles beyond the quality of worker in the US. Not even close. I'd take 1 canadian any day over 10 Americans, if selected randomly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join