It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet the Mexican-Americans who agree with Trump on immigration

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   
DISCLAIMER: This is not a thread intended to invoke any discussion that is Pro-Trump or Anti-Hilary, nor is it an attempt to endorse any particular candidate for POTUS. This thread is about the small minority of Mexican Americans that agree with Trump's position on immigration and the attempts by the Main Stream Media to silence them. I am not attempting to identify myself with any political party or ideology in the making of this thread.

SOURCE

I read this story today on CBS and thought that it would be appropriate discussion for ATS. I feel like the MSM is really going out of their way to silence this minority of Mexican Americans that support Trump's position on immigration. So naturally my curiosity was piqued when I stumbled upon this article.

During the lead up to the 2016 election, much emphasis has been placed on the growing number of Latino voters, their presumed distaste for Donald Trump and what that might mean for the Republican party. Most people who have heard the real estate mogul's controversial campaign rhetoric or visited his fiery Twitter feed simply assume that the Latino voting block has been deeply offended and opposes Trump's tough stance on immigration. And while that may be true of the majority of Latino voters, the group is not a monolith -- there is a vocal minority of Mexican-Americans along the U.S. border who passionately agree with Trump.

Take, for example, Tony Castañeda -- a third generation Mexican-American and former police chief in Eagle Pass, Texas -- who is vehemently against full amnesty for illegal immigrants.

"A lot of my relatives are still waiting in line on the Mexican side... They're paying their fees. They're submitting their paperwork. They're waiting their period of time," Castañeda explains. "Relatives of mine have been on the line for 15 years, trying to get across, trying to get their status. And some people just come in the middle of the night, and then want to live and hide and benefit from a lot of things we have in this country, taking it away from American citizens."

Miriam Cepeda, a Mexican-American graduate student studying history at the University of Texas-Rio Grande Valley, agrees.

"In the late '50s, my father, my grandfather and my grandmother, they came to America," Cepeda explains. "My grandfather applied for a resident citizenship here, and since then, they've used the opportunities available to them here in America, and have advanced in whatever path life has led them. But they did it legally. They did it legally."

In the CBSN Originals documentary, "Neustro Amigo: Latinos for Trump," CBS News correspondent Elaine Quijano sits down with a handful of Mexican-Americans in Texas border towns who echo this sentiment that that they have played by the rules, so others should be made to as well.

Frank Santos -- a first generation Mexican-American who came to the U.S. legally in childhood -- tells Quijano that he doesn't "believe in [immigrating] illegally or anything like that."

Santos lived here for three decades before deciding to become a citizen in 2012 so he could vote. "People that are here illegal, I have compassion for them if they are here five years. After five years, if you haven't done [anything] to try to be here legally, you're never gonna do it," he said.

"I have a Social Security card. You have a Social Security card," Castañeda said, as he stood on a bluff overlooking the U.S.-Mexico border. "I have to pay IRS taxes when I'm due, and these people are not paying any of those. They are taking advantage of several programs that are out there, so there has to be some type of control because it's bleeding us. it's bleeding us left and right. And, I mean, we can't go into Mexico and live there forever. They have their own rules, their own laws that people need to comply with. And we would like for their folks to also comply with ours."

Personally, even though I didn't care for him during the primaries, I think Jeb Bush had a pretty solid answer to the immigration problem. He said 'We need to make it easier for people to get into America legally, and we need to make it harder for them to get here illegally.' Short, simple, and to the point.

I feel that the people who have come here illegally through the border that have actually assimilated and become hard working productive citizens should have a closely regulated, federally authorized, path to citizenship. And that means, no violent crimes committed while they're here, and logically we should also check their criminal records in Mexico. Additionally, they should show that they are willing to pay taxes and do everything required by immigrants who come here legally such as memorize the pledge of allegiance, knowing fundamental knowledge of our founding fathers, important dates in American History, and general American philosophy.

The Mexican Cartels are without a doubt the most violent & notorious Narco Terrorists in the history of the modern world, surpassing Pablo Escobar and his Columbian Cartel. They exploit our weakened border and our flimsy immigration policy that seems to be conveniently always in state of flux. I have not heard a single candidate on the Democratic side that has even come up with a suggestion on how to combat the Narco Terrorists. Bernie talks a lot about the Big Pharma in the US and how the opiate epidemic is now the worst drug epidemic in our nation's history, and I applaud him for using his pedestal time to point that out to our society. But he doesn't realize that the other side to that story is the Mexican Cartels who are exploiting our vulnerability & the fallout from the Pill Mills by cultivating, manufacturing, transporting, & distributing large amounts of Heroin into this country. Not to mention that pretty much all of the Heroin coming from Mexico is at least 50% Fentanyl, of which they manufacture themselves with ingredients they purchased from China. They're also the largest smugglers of Crystal Meth, Marijuana, & Cocaine in the US.

I suspect that there is a percentage of this silent minority that is being silent intentionally. I've met and spoken to a few Latin Americans myself who have indicated to me that they are in favor of Trump's immigration policy, even though they believe him to be a fear mongering tool. At least they're able to see through the bias in the media, and I don't blame them for wanting to keep their opinions to themselves. In fact, these three Mexican Americans in this article are brave for showing their names and faces. With everything that is going on these days from the PC, SJW, Speech Silencing crowd, they're lucky if they aren't targeted for violence for coming out in support of Trump on CBS.
edit on 6/2/2016 by ColdWisdom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

This Spotlight article offers in one accessible resource the most current available data on the 42.4 million immigrants who lived in the United States in 2014. By compiling some of the most frequently requested facts and figures on U.S. immigration, this article answering questions such as: How many people immigrated to the country last year?

www.migrationpolicy.org...

Seems like we're a much more forgiving country than anyone else would have us believe.

Is there any other country on the planet with that many legal immigrants? How about one that even comes remotely close?

I'll counter Jeb Bush's position. I think we should make it harder to become a US citizen until everyone learns to respect our laws and our flag. How about that?
edit on 6/2/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I mean I'm sure you could also find Jews that thought Hitler wasn't all that bad

You just have to look real hard to find them

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I think the us and european immigration crisis' have made people take another look at the issue.
I was an open borders libertarian for a while but as the data came out, mainly in psychological, sociological, and economical data I changed my mind.

Honestly it looks like a conspiracy to me, one the few I would be inclined to believe.
Sustained mass immigration of different cultures causes societal collapse.

example: The 3 million refugees in turkey are kept in turkey by europe paying turkey and maybe allowing turkey in euro. Turkey is openly saying these refugees will be used as bioweapons to destroy europe if they are not allowed into the Euro. High level greek politicians have said similar things using the refugees as blackmail for debt bailouts. Why do some of leaders understand the dangers of these refugees and regard them as weapons but the media cannot?

Think about this for second. If I bring 50 million arabs into Sweden is the country still Sweden? Or will the country quickly evolve into a cold Saudi Arabia.
If 300 million hispanics came into America, laws would change and the US would devolve into a latin american country. Unless people really believe it is the fault of 20000 latin american elites that latin america is poorish/middle income(except tax shelter countries and chile)

Immigrants should be kept to a certain percent of population, especially those of different cultures. The ideal number is probably not above 5-6% of population. Immigrants need to assimilate instead of form enclaves.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Is there any other country on the planet with that many legal immigrants?

France is the only one I can think of right off the top of my head. Didnt work out too well for them , as they have just about shut down their borders

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Considering their entire population is 61 million... and thats how many immigrants we have both legal and illegal...

#, we have an entire European country in America now.

I wonder how many latin American countries we have taken in?

Guess we're not the bad racist people everyone tries to make us out to be are we?

Thats half of Mexico!
edit on 6/2/2016 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

If I bring 50 million arabs into Sweden is the country still Sweden?

I know this was hypothetical , but Sweden's take on immigrants is zero tolerance.They move armor (meaning tanks and antipersonnel vehicles) to their border at the slightest hint of such.
I had forgotten about that until I was corrected in another thread by a citizen of Sweden.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Can I illegally immigrate to Sweden?

I'm white of Norwegian and Irish blood, maybe I can work on my accent and blend in.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

YouSir
edit on 2-6-2016 by YouSir because: ...just because

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I just called my one mexican friend. His parents came here legally.

He agrees with Trump.
Jobs are not here for all and he doesn't like being looked at as an illegal by everyone.
Worthless control group, or lack there of, I know.

From what I understand, there were welcome home signs placed all over central America.
The reason why? Idk

You have to have borders. Especially if there are limited resources within the border.(jobs).

There is plenty of open land for people, but cities are congested.
There are already no jobs around.

If we add a huge source of jobs to the market, not just shovel ready, and people could move outward from cities, we could handle a ton of immigrants.
Until an answer to the question of how will the US make money after being sold overseas and regulated out of the country is answered, the only choice is shut the flood down.

It's like the old lady and kid who died in a plane because she HAD to put the kids oxygen mask on first.

You have to help yourself first, once stable you can be Mother Theresa herself if you want, but even she had to eat before work.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

You have to help yourself first, once stable you can be Mother Theresa herself if you want, but even she had to eat before work.

Now I know your racist and hate women without a doubt.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I believe you meant switzerland. Sweden is over the 15% threshold for immigrant population. over 1.4 million immigrants in a country of 9.5 million. think about that. And they consume 60% of welfare resources. 

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: jellyrev

If I bring 50 million arabs into Sweden is the country still Sweden?

I know this was hypothetical , but Sweden's take on immigrants is zero tolerance.They move armor (meaning tanks and antipersonnel vehicles) to their border at the slightest hint of such.
I had forgotten about that until I was corrected in another thread by a citizen of Sweden.

Biggest load of BS i ever heard. Sweden literarily had a open door policy when it comes to immigrants and it shows.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Every word you just posted is wrong. Terribly, terribly wrong.

Given your track record of being an intellectual, it gives one (like me), pause. What's your angle?

edit on 2-6-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   
And there are some African Americans that have started their own KKK chapter:

Chicago – A group of black men from the southside of Chicago have started a local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan, saying that local blacks have devastated the area.

Link

There will always be exceptions to everything.

Pointing out how SOME Hispanics support Trump doesn't prove anything.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

No your wrong!

Not uh, your wrong!

Not uhhhhhh, your wrong I'm not wrong!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The most vocal people I know against illegal immigrants are the folks I have worked/served along side in the military that came in legally and busted their butts to become Americans.

Not racist KKK wanna be white red necks..as the MSM would have everyone believe.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah my Filipino friend who served in the military to get his citizenship doesn't like it one bit. You should see the face he makes when we talk about it, hilarious.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom
Mexico is our neighbor. If there are hard times there the governement should find a way to speed things up in order to help them.

We are damn lucky to have the Mexican people in our / their land, I think. JMO.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   
People think people like me can't openly disagree with a minority because people like me call out bigotry. They don't seem to get we see them only as people, I suppose that's because they see them as people with a caveat.

These people who happen to be Mexican-American are just as foolish as every other Trump supporter, in my opinion.

*gasp*

<<   2  3 >>

join