It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Angel down in Smyrna TN,

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

A star for you.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DinobotIV

What ARE the chances a plane from our two elite air squads crash on the same day? Pretty high against, I'd wager.

It jarred me and brought out the scared ape in me, cowering before the heavens.

edit on 6/2/2016 by Baddogma because: important word 'against' added... it's weird the planes crashed on the same day

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah I first saw it on social media from someone I went to OCS with who had a family member that's flown with this Capt.

I'm hearing he definitely rode it in to avoid an apartment complex and a residential area.

Facing your mortality in a split second decision like that instead of punching out to ensure others safety is just incredible.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ
Just 6 weeks ago I met the young Captain of #6 at the Hang out at the Hanger party after the Smokey Mountain Air Show at TYS. My wife and I were very impressed with this young man. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family and the team.

Zaphod58, your right. I remembered his name right away but I wasn't ready to publish it.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
That maneuver is called the cobra if memory serves.

Actually, that maneuver is called the "High Alpha Pass". This is the Cobra:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

Wow that was cool, looked like it almost stopped!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The plane crashed across the street from my mom's neighborhood (Bent Tree Subdivision) in a cotton field, news crews were set up at the end of the street here. The Sam Davis home is on the other side of the cotton field where the plane crashed and to the other side of that is apartments, a bowling alley and a golf course. The plane wasn't far at all from the air field when he crashed. The whole area isn't that big you can walk to any of it ^, it's about a half mile+ radius.
The people here are devastated, everyone loves the air show that comes once every 2 years. For years my family gathered and hung out in the backyard poolside with the grill going to watch the show, that "was" the plan for this weekend.
RIP Jeff Kuss #6
edit on 2-6-2016 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Staroth

Awe, this is really sad.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DinobotIV
a reply to: StratosFear

www.denverpost.com...

What are the chances of a Thunderbird and a Blue Angel crashing on the same day? I hope someone isn't testing Electronic Warfare projects on our elite pilots...

These planes are put through some pretty rough maneuvers on a regular basis and its not exactly the safest way to fly but accidents do happen unfortunately. Seems like the pilot didnt make it, this airshow will be bittersweet.

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Local TV station reporting a fatality.

Just heard, I have the best tickets and was going to get to meet them after the show but not sure whats going to happen now. Not sure which number it was either but a witness said the aircraft was oriented at the ground and didnt seem to have any power to pull up.

In a response to another one of your post, the area has a golf course on one side of the base but the rest is pretty populated, especially if he put it in the field near the bowlng alley, nothing but houses and apartments around there. Its just to the SE of the base. Thanks for keeping up with everything, I was on my break and didnt have to much time to update.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
I live 5 minutes from that bowling alley. Haven't heard much for details. The talk radio here is talking about all of the military budget cuts that have affected the blue angels. And of course they are blaming Obama.

The field behind the bowling alley is a couple hundred acres.

I`m sort of familiar with the area but seems like the pilot picked the best option for the situation. I`m sure the whole area heard it though.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth
The plane crashed across the street from my mom's neighborhood (Bent Tree Subdivision) in a cotton field, news crews were set up at the end of the street here. The Sam Davis home is on the other side of the cotton field where the plane crashed and to the other side of that is apartments, a bowling alley and a golf course. The plane wasn't far at all from the air field when he crashed. The whole area isn't that big you can walk to any of it ^, it's about a half mile+ radius.
The people here are devastated, everyone loves the air show that comes once every 2 years. For years my family gathered and hung out in the backyard poolside with the grill going to watch the show, that "was" the plan for this weekend.
RIP Jeff Kuss #6

Everyone in middle TN loves the show, I havent missed one since `88 and this is the first time I recall a crash related to the show. I understand if they cancel the show but I`m still going if its still on.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

I understand if they cancel the show but I`m still going if its still on.

Aye, respect either way!

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I hope they put on one hell of a show for this guy. Sad surprise from talk radio in the middle of the night had me running back to ATS to find out the details. Prayers for his family's comfort for sure.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   

They will not be participating. Both teams are stood down indefinitely during the investigations.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
That's crazy that one from the Blue Angels and one from the Thunderbirds crashed on the same day (I know I'm echoing). Very sad that one lost his life. It may seem out of character but there's something about watchou wanting fighter jets that humbles you and gives you goosebumps.

If you want real goosebumps try flying one.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:34 AM
link   

a reply to: Quantum12

He didn't go down. He dove to accelerate and then pulled up and back around.

Maybe I can clarify some of the issues here. While I was flying airshows, I did a number of them with the Angels. The first maneuver for one of the solos after takeoff was sort of a "reverse half Cuban." That maneuver is done by accelerating the aircraft in level flight, then pitching up to a 45 degree attitude. After climbing like this for a time, you do a 1/2 roll to an inverted 45 up line. When your target altitude is reached you pull around in a 5/8 loop back to level upright flight. At the 3/8 point of the loop you are pointed straight down. That would account for the witness statements of an extreme nose down attitude. There are several things that could result in an unsuccessful maneuver. If you lose thrust at any point, it coudl result in less than optimal airspeed during the pull around of the partial loop, resulting in a high speed stall and vastly increased induced drag from the high alpha, or angle of attack. Initiating the looping part of the maneuver at less than taget altitude can result in a big black smoking hole in the ground. The last 90 degrees of the loop is the time of greatest g loaing and could result in g-loc, or g induced loss of consciousness.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
They weren't doing the slow flight pass, they were just taking off. I finally saw the video and you can clearly see the second solo a fair distance behind him. He was straight and level and all seemed normal.

wkrn.com...
edit on 6/3/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

Oh wow! How neat!!

He is a hero for sure!!! I still can't believe it. SO very sad for his family as well as the community who watched in horror as it blew up. The good in all of it is he passed doing what he loved to do.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

They are trained to land in a non-residential area, very honorable of him to sacrifice himself.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

They will not be participating. Both teams are stood down indefinitely during the investigations.

And I understand completely, this has been a rough few weeks for crashes. I`m still going to the show and will try and get some good pics but it feels a bit wrong to be excited about going considering what happened. I`ll probably head up Sunday.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join