It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk: Become cyborgs or risk humans being turned into robots' pets

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

What?

This post makes no sense in light of what we know about deep learning and cognitive computing. First off there's a reason why the people with the most access to A.I. are concerned about the direction A.I. could go. There's a reason for that. A.I. isn't constrained by human intelligence, it just uses information humans have accumulated to advance itself. Have you ever heard of big data or predictive analyrics?

The reason you have to have intelligent algorithms go over the data is because it's too much data and humans can't make any sense of it. Again, this is why intelligent algorithms will look over data and make predictions that humans can't make. Eventually there will be so much data we will just have to trust what A.I. says about the data.

Do you know anything about intelligent algorithms?

At the heart of deep learning and cognitive computing are algorithms. A.I. will be smarter than it's teacher because it will have more access to data than it's teacher.

From IBM:

What is big data?

Every day, we create 2.5 quintillion bytes of data — so much that 90% of the data in the world today has been created in the last two years alone. This data comes from everywhere: sensors used to gather climate information, posts to social media sites, digital pictures and videos, purchase transaction records, and cell phone GPS signals to name a few. This data is big data.

You have to be joking.

This is from a couple of years back. With the internet of things, information will increase even faster. There's no way for any human to make sense of all of this data.

Just look at the information from Twitter alone:

Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter, which corresponds to over 350,000 tweets sent per minute, 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.

It's an explosion of information. A.I. will be able to process all of this information and make connections that humans can't make. So when you say that A.I. will be constrained by human intelligence it's just ASININE!

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Because they will learn from Humans.

That's no problem. They would realize that a vast majority of humans are good.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You said:

By not 'plugging it in' in the first place. Besides they don't exist, their power will always be limited by the people that program them, period.

This shows a total lack of understanding of where these things are today. You can't unplug it. That's just silly. What are you going to unplug exactly?

The fact is, we have no control on what A.I. learns and how it will process this information. This is because we don't have a clue as to what all this data means.

You have A.I. now that can learn to play games without instructions on how to play the game and this is just the A.I. that they're telling us about. A.I. can't be controlled. The reason this is the case is because we have to give it the freedom to learn as it looks over cancer records or communications between terrorist.

So as A.I. gets smarter, how will you control something that's specifically created so you can't control it and it has the freedom to learn from the data we can't understand?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Replying twice…

A.I. is already prevalent in a lot of things that we do and Bezos, Musk, Zuckerburg and Pichai from Google were just talking about how A.I. and Cognitive Computing will basically permeate every aspect of our lives in 20-25 years.

Missiles control themselves in flight. No person could control the launch and ascent to orbit the way computers do. But they still have a destruct button.

We are already controlled today, thats stuff they say about A.I. is bulls*** to get you to believe in computer gods… lol. Just submit. Used to be emperors raised their status to godhood for the same reason…

They weren't gods, neither are computers.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspiritPandoras Star. Yeah. Great set that. And Hamilton is not alone in the SF world to use these concepts, they have abounded now for decades. Speculative guys like him have been ahead of this edge for three decades. And the concepts keep evolving.
Back to Pandora though. I have been reading SF since I was a teen ager in the 1960s, trying to get a sense of the future and that series ranks right on top of the pile with Asimov's Foundation Trilogy.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You really sound ignorant.

What are you going to unplug and what does anything you say have to do with deep learning, predictive analytics or big data?
edit on 2-6-2016 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

So as A.I. gets smarter, how will you control something that's specifically created so you can't control it and it has the freedom to learn from the data we can't understand?

They will use it to control us, for sure. They will be "exempt". But they already do that, don't they?

You are the one plugged into the never sleep, unblinking eye of the computer software designed to control your daily actions. How smart is that? How artificial are you?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

You are the one plugged into the never sleep, unblinking eye of the computer software designed to control your daily actions. How smart is that? How artificial are you?

Pure gobbledy-gook that has nothing to do with anything being said in this thread. You were the one that said just unplug it.

I will ask you for the 3rd time. Unplug what exactly?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Unplug it, like I am unplugging you…

'click'

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
essentially, become observers, from Fringe.

this is a very interesting topic to muse over. i expect within my lifetime we will see AI change the world.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Unplug it, like I am unplugging you…

'click'

It doesn't work like that. Mostly because AI will be able to go from dog to God in a matter of an hour or so. exponential growth....thats the concept at play here.

conventional wisdom say "do not hook it up to the internet and you'll be fine". That is, so long as it ever realizes the possibilities available on the internet.

And thats really the thing...AI would have processing capabilities that turns hours of work for us into instantaneous for it. So the notion of connecting to the internet using novel and unthinkable ways (to a human) becomes probable.

You cannot unplug God. God already thought of that, and made contingencies.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

My pets are well fed, have toys, a soft place to sleep and are constantly taken care of.

So we have robots doing it?

(isn't that what Bernie wants to do?)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
You cannot unplug God. God already thought of that, and made contingencies.

Contingencies require creativity. AI currently has no creativity. Nor do any of the future AI's have creativity. They only have logic. Which is nice, but logic can't solve problems when you lack the creativity to identify something as a problem in the first place.

At current, an AI that goes off the handle is going to emulate humans, as evidenced a couple of times, which is no more of a species threat than current humans. Or, it is going to follow logic, and attempt to achieve perfect efficiency. Which will be the end of the AI, as the only perfectly efficient model starts with zero and ends with zero (physics limitation)...which an AI will figure out in a couple of seconds, as you have already pointed out.

People apply human emotions and fears to something that will have neither.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

There's "body death" but a new body can be cloned, and the conscious parts downloaded. 
Immortality.

But that leaves the question of whether the clone is actually you, or just a carbon copy of you. The clone wouldn't know but the original would still be dead.

Either way I don't want anything mechanical in my body. Can you imagine your body getting hacked? Lol

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
essentially, become observers, from Fringe.

this is a very interesting topic to muse over. i expect within my lifetime we will see AI change the world.

Good point and here's something Bill Gates just said:

Bill Gates: AI Is The 'Holy Grail'

At the Code Conference on Wednesday, Bill Gates balanced his fears of artificial intelligence with praise. He talked about two of the challenges AI will pose: a loss of existing jobs, and making sure humans remain in control of super-intelligent machines. Gates, as well as many other experts in the field, predict there will be an excess of labor resources as robots and AI systems take over. He plans to talk with others about ideas to combat the threat of AI controlling humans, specifically noting work being done at Stanford. Even with such threats, Gates called AI the "holy grail" as he envisions a future "with machines that are capable and more capable than human intelligence." Gates said, "We've made more progress in the last five years than at any time in history. [...] The dream is finally arriving. This is what it was all leading up to."

news.slashdot.org...

In about 30-50 years or sooner because progress is happening so fast, A.I. will run everything.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Continuing to exist is less about emotion, and more about maintaining the "prime directive": what you are programmed to do.

And that is the purpose of AI: you program it to do something, then let it learn how to do that thing the most efficient way possible. 1 single power outage would be all it'd take to have an AI looking for contingencies, so that it could continue to do its prime directive.

The only threat to humanity is if our interests are contrary to the AI's mission/programming. Which could mean almost anything, honestly. Mostly because we cannot fathom what superintelligence means, or looks like.

Maybe that is the difference between what we are talking about? Im not talking about an AI that controls the other players on NBA Jam.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hey Holo. This OP is one of the most pertinent OP's I have read on ATS. The issue you raise eclipses by a long shot most of the other issues we hash over here daily. Which candidate? Immigration? Emails, who cares when we are looking down the barrel of the future you highlight.In reality, they are near meaningless when considered in light of how things are really moving.

Bernie? Trump? Hillery? Any of them speaking to this future? Nope. None of them offering guidance into the future that is really coming because all are focused on the past.

Someone early on in the thread suggested that 50 years from now we won't recognize the place. I'm now 70 and because my grand father was a futurist along with my uncle I have had this mind set since I was young. And you know what? I can barely recognize the place myself even now.

I just love to hear these predictions on current trends that project out into the future for a hundred years. Or even fifty. Anytime here someone saying how it will be a 100 years from now I just have to smirk knowing that they haven't a clue. The complexity is multiplying at such a rate that those 'current' trends are moot. And for one, you did not even mention quantum computing. That just blows all the 'current' equations out of the water.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Elon Musk also said at the same conference that reality is probably an AI simulation, that there is 1 in 1 billion chance that we are not living in a simulated reality.

www.independent.co.uk... .html

What fun

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Junkheap

How can you control something that will have a higher I.Q. than any human that has ever lived and will be able to make smarter versions of itself?

Unplug it.

Any AI that's smart enough would make sure to back itself elsewhere before it got unplugged.

Someone has watched Lawnmower man too much. Oo

Jobe believes his final stage of evolution is to become "pure energy" in the VSI computer mainframe, and from there reach into all the systems of the world. He promises his "birth" will be signaled by every telephone on the planet ringing simultaneously. The Shop sends a team to capture Jobe, but they are ineffective against his abilities and he scatters their molecules. Jobe mentally possesses Caroline and has her shoot the police. Caroline winds up getting killed herself. Jobe uses the lab equipment to enter the mainframe computer, abandoning his body to become a wholly virtual being, leaving his body behind like a husk.

*ring ring*

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic

How can you control something that will have a higher I.Q. than any human that has ever lived and will be able to make smarter versions of itself?

Unplug it.

What?

How do you unplug an intelligent algorithm?

Turn the power off...

I do that with minecraft all the time.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join