It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planet 9 was most likely an exoplanet stolen by our sun 4.5 billion years ago

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mogget

Everything has a beginning and an end , the Universe is no different.

You may want to have a little think about that. For example, what about reality itself? Are we to believe that there was once nothing at all? If so, where did "something" come from? In fact, can we truly grasp the concept of "nothing"?

Yeah. While I think what we call "our universe" may have had a beginning, and may have an end, our universe may not necessarily be the only universe in existence, nor the only only to ever exist. The "multiverse" (for lack of a better name) may be infinite in time, and maybe in space.

However, philosophically that opens up its own can of worms. I mean, why is there a universe (or multiverse) in the first place. Why does "something" even exist? There is a place around us we call the universe, and that universe may or may not be one of many that exists now or in the distant past...

...but why is it even there (not "how?", but "why?").

edit on 6/7/2016 by Box of Rain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Box of Rain

but why is it even there

That is probably the deepest philosophical question there is , not why are we here but why is it here , of course it's a question that we will never find the answer to and even if we did we probably wouldn't understand it.

a reply to: Mogget

can we truly grasp the concept of "nothing"?

No , I don't think we can ,it's beyond comprehension.
I'm not convinced there was literally nothing before the Big Bang , partly because I can't envision it and partly because as you point out there are contradictions , how can something appear into nothing and how can it do it when even time didn't exist .... my head hurts.

edit on 7-6-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Box of Rain

originally posted by: Mogget

Everything has a beginning and an end , the Universe is no different.

You may want to have a little think about that. For example, what about reality itself? Are we to believe that there was once nothing at all? If so, where did "something" come from? In fact, can we truly grasp the concept of "nothing"?

Yeah. While I think what we call "our universe" may have had a beginning, and may have an end, our universe may not necessarily be the only universe in existence, nor the only only to ever exist. The "multiverse" (for lack of a better name) may be infinite in time, and maybe in space.

However, philosophically that opens up its own can of worms. I mean, why is there a universe (or multiverse) in the first place. Why does "something" even exist? There is a place around us we call the universe, and that universe may or may not be one of many that exists now or in the distant past...

...but why is it even there (not "how?", but "why?").

The absolute "nothing" can't exist; there's always something. Given enough time, that "something" will produce a universe and, eventually, life.

Our universe is just a "bubble" in an infinite and eternal multiverse. Google "quantum fluctuations", "false vacuum" and "eternal inflation" to see what I'm talking about.

<< 1  2   >>

join