It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I (BoX) believe the Religion of Scientism is looming very hazardously on the near horizon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SouthernForkway26
a reply to: BO XIAN

That would not be science. People (or minions) don't give science it's power the same way people do for a Church.

1. People don't give power to Christ's Church. God does. People can benefit.
2. The oligarchy has long been expert at labeling things--including science--as they wish--and convincing the masses that such labels are 'the truest truth.' I wouldn't call it science either--but, for a period of time, it will be considered such.

You mean like religion is sold as essential for the preservation of your soul? Nobody who understands science is going to 'buy' something they don't understand or can't be proven.

Oh, they will buy it just as they've bought greater tyranny as the only safe way to go. Particularly amidst terminally confusing chaos--anything the oligarchy does to even appear to bring clarity and answers out of the chaos will be clung to as a log in a hurricane.

This is not science. Science only REQUIRES you follow the scientific method as a matter of ensuring integrity of the science being done. . . .

You keep talking off topic. You keep missing the point. You keep demonstrating an abject wholesale lack of understanding of the main point. Perhaps it's deliberately obtuse and contrarian just for the heck of it. Sheesh.

I'm keenly aware of the authentic scientific method fittingly and validly structured, designed, applied and interpreted. I support that vigorously. That's NOT my point. That's NOT the topic of the OP. I don't understand such dense attitudes by so many otherwise bright people toward the OP. Well, the psychologist part of me understands.

The OP is about the SOCIOLOGICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL forces and factors which contribute to a major portion of the scientific community toward turning science into the Religion of Scientism in the ways they corrupt it for perverse, selfish, money-greedy, pride, power, etc. reasons. ALL THE OTHER contrarian blather is perversely OFF TOPIC and thoroughly uninformed and imperceptive.

Reason and critical thinking are required for science. Facts that anybody can check for themselves (with enough time and money) are the backbone of science. Emotional decisions are not part of science.

Ideally, yes. HOWEVER, evidently you have not been reading that many peer reviewed journal articles in recent decades. Emotional, RELIGIOUS FERVORed motivations are rife in such circles in most areas of science.

If the hypothetical ET comes wowing us with new unbelievable technology, scientists will be the first and loudest dissenters. You will not convince them without providing scientific facts about said technology and allowing us to reproduce or reverse-engineer ourselves whatever ET brings to wow to confirm the science behind it is real.

My close relative worked closely with one of the paper clip German scientists working on our nukes and their testing. He noted that the critters had helped us build our own craft. Some of the science was disclosed and some evidently wasn't.

A lot more than that will be displayed broadly and brazenly in coming years. Much of it will seem magical and supernatural. I don't know how much of it will be supernatural of an evil sort. Much of it will be technological charade.

Science is not 'emotionally intense' in my experience. Most science itself is boring, the excitement comes from understanding the implications of new knowledge. Figuring out how to make CPUs smaller and more efficient isn't real exciting until you're using a new iPad.

Again, you're not really talking about the focus of the OP topic. Science has been morphed into a religiously intense enterprise, construction on reality etc. Where do you think Star Trek, Star Wars etc. got so much of their emotional umph?

Emotions don't drive science. Seeking facts drives science. Science puts a lot of weight in being 'published.' This is so that other scientists (and even YOU!) can repeat the experiment EXACTLY the same way and get the same results, just in case you think something is a lie.

Nonsense. You may be wonderful at what you do but as a psychologist, that's a silly statement. People don't toil 18+ hours a day for years without some seriously emotionally intense motivation.

Science facts are rather sterile. There's some significant excitement in uncovering new facts. But that's not even the kind of emotional religious fervor I'm talking about.

I'm talking about the kind of religious fervor invested in scientific issues, factors, structures, doctrines etc. BECAUSE there's a deep hole in the psyche of such folks that ONLY a RELIGIOUS FERVOR can remotely begin to satisfy, bring meaning to.

Science doesn't promote promiscuity. That is a moral position that you have to decide on for yourself. You either have sex with a lot of people or you don't. . . .

I don't think true, authentic science does. However, the leaders of the Religion of Scientism do. Then they get into eugenics; destroying the family and raising the kids by the tyrannical State alone. And it's all made to seem sooooo hip, cool and scientific. What a sham.

Paradigm shifts happen when the old way becomes irrelevant. Paradigm shifts can't be stopped by even the established 'old way' people in control. Most paradigm shifts come with an 'it's about time' attitude.

The 'old way' people in control worship at the same altars the Babylonians did. They have been long setting up a global PRESSURE toward the paradigm shift. When they trigger the mass war and chaos, people will beg for a paradigm shift and it will be delivered to them on a platter with plentiful chains attached.

It's ironic that according to you when science is TURNED INTO RELIGION is deadly. It's not the science, it's the RELIGION.

Right--it's the science morphed into a RELIGIOUS INSTITUTION by the PTB and the greed and power-mongering of so many of the corrupt 'scientists' involved.MAYBE you get the point of the OP, after all.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Evidently you haven't studied such things for 45+ years.

Your loss.
Your lack of understanding and perceptivity.

Time will tell how that works out for you.

I studied religion 30-odd years ago. The experience turned me into an atheist. Nothing I have seen or studied since then has diverted me from that mindset - if anything it had strengthened it.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

I was talking about studying globalism.

Christ hated religion, too.

Religion has been defined as man's attempts to reach toward God.

God reached toward man in RELATIONSHIP via Christ.

My contention is that the corrupted distortions and manipulations of science by greedy, power-mongering, etc. "scientists" has morphed far too much of even authentic science into a type of religion.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:07 AM
link   

I'm aware of your mind-set and the intense RELIGIOUS FERVOR that you espouse it with.

You may be aware that a Supreme Court case years ago affirmed that atheism IS a RELIGION.

edit on 2/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I'm aware of your mind-set and the intense RELIGIOUS FERVOR that you espouse it with.

You may be aware that a Supreme Court case years ago affirmed that atheism IS a RELIGION.

I have no idea what the Supreme Court said and still less do I care. I merely do not believe in any god, entity or driving force in the universe, other than entropy. I regard the bible as a book of Bronze and Iron Age fables. I prefer to look at cold hard proof. I distrust fervour and change my mind based on facts. As far as I am concerned religious fundamentalism is dangerous as it implies an utterly closed mind.
And once again, science is not a religion. You saying otherwise to fit whatever agenda you seem to have will not make it so.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have a better question: why does anyone care what bo xian believes?

That's right, no one does. Good talk.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Just remember AC vs DC.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I was talking about studying globalism.

Christ hated religion, too.

Religion has been defined as man's attempts to reach toward God.

God reached toward man in RELATIONSHIP via Christ.

My contention is that the corrupted distortions and manipulations of science by greedy, power-mongering, etc. "scientists" has morphed far too much of even authentic science into a type of religion.

What?!?!?!

You don't think belief in verifiable repeatable experimentation is the same belief as religious belief based on zero evidence?!?!?!

No!!!!

Lol sarcasm..

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Got any real world examples of scientists evilly "power mongering"?

Got any real world examples of science being used to subjugate people today?

Got any information at all that suggests science has done anything but improve our lives?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I'd have thought that you were aware of an Asian country called . . .

China . . . where I lived for a number of years . . .

Further, I'd have thought that you'd have been aware of the massive security state using all manner of modern scientifically based inventions to monitor, control and abuse the populace with--particularly those not marching lock-step with the Party line.

Sounds like an amazing lack of awareness, to me.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   

China is an authoritarian communist regime. That isn't a failure of science that is a failure of communism.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Ahhhhhh . . . the old changing the goal posts ploy.

1. China has been a massive example of the Religion of Scientism elevated to such a fiercely held and praised religious persuasion, values system. All the more so given Mao's death and the shifts toward a more open but still Communist Party ran culture.

2. You are still arguing straw dogs. The OP is about the sociological and psychological factors that have contributed to morphing science into a Religion of Scientism in great chunks, percentages of the scientific field across many disciplines.

3. If you are not aware enough of those facts . . . to have a meaningful mutually respectful discussion about that set of phenomena, then I doubt there's much hope in having a useful even pretense of a dialogue with you.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Science Damn You for revealing all of this!

or we will capture you and melt your brain with our Douche of Scientism, and your brain will drain from your ear sockets!

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Sociological and economic forces impact science because that is where the demand for new knowledge and technology comes from. There are debates where our resources are used in the fields that don't initially expect a monetary return such as space exploration or the LHC, and this can become political. Most science is driven by private corporations looking for a profit like turning shale into oil or changing the DNA of food crops for a better harvest.

'Religion' suggests the idea that something supernatural is at work in some part. Science is the study of the natural world and has to rule out the existance of anything supernatural by default. Technology beyond our current scientific knowledge wouldn't create a religious experience, more like time to double-up on our research and figure this out ourselves.

Do you have any examples of science being turned into a religion? I thought the OP was talking about a hypothetical hijacking of science.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Religions require churches, temples, mosques, sanctuaries, etc. Right? Centers of worship?

Can anyone point to anything labeled "Church of Scientism"?

Any citations of worshippers or worship services for Scientism?

Any official Statements of Scientismatic Faith?

Surely these adherents can speak for themselves if what they are following really is a religion, right?

Could anyone please show us anything along these lines? Thank you kindly in advance.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Could anyone please show us anything along these lines? Thank you kindly in advance.

The... 'New Temple' is the "Smart Phone". Bigger and beyond and above anything before it: by leaps & bounds. And all the children today would be self-stigmatized to not embrace it. Game over (which gets real sick when one contemplates these "Freemium" games which is the total phone game model, and thats what all the kids are growing up on nowl...).
edit on 3-6-2016 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The... ''New Temple' is the "Smart Phone". Bigger and beyond and above anything before it: by leaps & bounds. And all the children today would be self-stigmatized to not embrace it. Game over (which gets real sick when one contemplates these "Freemium" games which is the total phone game model, and thats what all the kids are growing up on nowl...).

Subtle.

So, no "Church of Scientism" then? How about a "Temple of Scientism"? How about a video of a Scientismatic babbling in algebraic equations and biological taxonomies?

Anything?

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Ahhhhhh . . . the old changing the goal posts ploy.

Changing the goal posts? I'm not the one who set them up man. You are.

You blame science and technology for what a communist dictatorship does with it.

Do spoons make you fat too?

Good god.

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   

I'd have thought that you were aware of an Asian country called . . .

China . . . where I lived for a number of years . . .

Further, I'd have thought that you'd have been aware of the massive security state using all manner of modern scientifically based inventions to monitor, control and abuse the populace with--particularly those not marching lock-step with the Party line.

Sounds like an amazing lack of awareness, to me.

Nothing to do with science.

What a ridiculous thing to say

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Welllllllllllll, Phred,

You asked for:

I gave you a "real world" example that I had observed for years first hand.

You didn't like the example and shifted tracks, goal posts rather than deal with it as a valid example of WHAT YOU'D ASKED FOR.

I consider that flaky inconsistency quite beneath any "scientific" discourse.

Evidently, having a rational, reasonable dialogue with you is unlikely to impossible.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join