It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blind Louisiana Man Sues McDonald's for Refusing Him Drive Through

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A blind Louisiana man tries to walk up to the drive through window at McDonald's and is refused service. He claims McDonald's is discriminating against the blind since the main hall is closed and blind people cannot drive to use the window. So, he has filed a federal lawsuit against the chain.

www.nbcnews.com...

First off, I see this as just another example of how greedy people are becoming. We are so quick to sue anyone that doesn't cow-tow to our every whim. I hope the Judge throws this out of court.

Now, on the other hand, there has been many times while working grave yards I wanted a bite to eat but couldn't use the drive through, the only thing open, because I didn't have a car. Was that discrimination against drive-less persons? No. It was so that I didn't get my a$$ ran over while standing in the "drive through". Yes, I think if a restaurant is going to be open for customers they should find a way to serve all customers. But don't go waiving the disability card for a dishonest buck. Hell, let him get his Big Mac and watch what happens when an SUV comes barreling through.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Joki42
I bet he couldn´t see that coming..

I am sorry, but...

Hope he becomes a billionaire now, then maybe later POTUS

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This seems patently absurd. It also reeks of bad fiction, what sort of scenario has a blind man on foot in the city ambling up to a Mcdonalds after lobby hours ? I'm sure they could have been more accommodating to his late night burger desires, but to sue over civil liberty violations seems a bit much.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Last week we were invited to the fun place, one of the attraction is kart. I swear with all saints, virgin mary, baby jesus and all of the demons from hell: blind woman walked with her daughter (about 4 years) to the kart. She was intented to drive.....after 5-6 minutes of arguing with stuff her husband replaced her behind the wheel. I could see her face impression and the disappointing that she was not allowed to drive....also she mention something about the skin color, manager were white, how she was able to determine that i beyond me. So anything is possible in Corporate States of America

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Agreed. It's not like they were letting sighted persons walk through the drive-thru. He wasn't turned down because of his disability. He was turned down because he was a pedestrian in the drive-thru.

the company's policy is not to serve pedestrians at the drive-thru

originally posted by: Joki42
there has been many times while working grave yards I wanted a bite to eat but couldn't use the drive through, the only thing open, because I didn't have a car. Was that discrimination against drive-less persons? No.

Well, it is, but being drive-less is not considered a disability, and it's therefore legal discrimination.

Overall, it's great that businesses are not permitted to discriminate against the disabled, but this one guy is clearly twisting the intent of the law and I don't think he has a case at all. He's taking advantage of the system.
edit on 6/1/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
LOL. I am deaf and I always drive right to windows and hand them a note listing what I wanted. Usually they get confused then realized that I was deaf. Most of the time they were ok with it.

edit on 6/1/2016 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Oh come on...all he had to do was hold his hands out and grip an imaginary steering wheel...make brooom brooom noises and honk a few times...the idiots behind the counter probably wouldn't have noticed.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

I bet he couldn´t see that coming.. I am sorry, but...

Dont be.....

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

It's a drive thru.

Not a walk up window.

That's like suing the parks department because you can't feed the bears. It's for your own safety you ninnyhammer.
edit on 1-6-2016 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Doctors should fix his vision so someone can smack it away again. Kidding of course but I can't feel anything but negativity toward someone who is purposely abusing our laws. Although, he could just be an idiot who thinks he won the lotto in which case.... damn it... who am I to judge without trying to teach first.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

IT is probably the very same law that allows him to sue McDonald's that is the reason he could not get served: If they were to serve him and a car were to hit him, they could be held liable. And given that he has already sued, he probably would sue.

So basically people like him is reason people like him cannot get served.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I had been out partying all night and was staying in a motel across the street from a late night Taco Bell that kept their drive thru window open until 3AM but closed their lobby at midnight or so (this is back in 2002 or so). Me and my fellow party goers were starving for some Taco Bell so I decided to walk instead of drive because I smelled of alcohol. I learned real quick about the policy of no pedestrians in the drive thru. Its a safety concern because you can get run over.

It sucks that the guy is blind but that doesn't make him immune to company policy. This case will go no where.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Anybody know how they calculate damages in this type of situation?

What kind of damage will "no" get you these days?

The jury should award him a child sized value meal, that would be epic.
edit on 6 by Mandroid7 because: added 2

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Oh there are just too many things that could be said here...but this man has no case.
edit on 1-6-2016 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

McDonald's will probably end up having to put an extra window in for after hours walk through collection. I have seen one, only once in gran canaria. It blew my kids mind

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I call Bs.

1, how in the blue bloody blaze's did he even know he was at My D's and what to order (easily answered from memory)
2. No pedestrian gets served at a drive through window day or night, blind or other wise.
3 . A class action lawsuit, who is getting the money
edit on 1-6-2016 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: waverlyhills

Also what was the OP doing in a grave yard?

I wonder

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Anybody know how they calculate damages in this type of situation?

What kind of damage will "no" get you these days?

The jury should award him a child sized value meal, that would be epic.

And they should have him drive his car through the drive-up lane to get it.
That ought to teach him how the rule "no walk-ups allowed" works.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Well, looking for a late night snack of course; since I couldn't get my McD's.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Saw this elsewhere, and it's a ridiculous claim, as far as I am concerned. No one walking gets served at a drive-through, for safety reasons. That of the person walking, and the employees as well. People have attacked fro cars; on foot would be far easier.

I can sympathize with the no-car issue, but I don't think businesses need to accommodate every single person all the time. I could see some closing the 24-hour drive-through as a result of this sort of nonsense, though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join