It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Fellow Texans...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Texas is the greatest piece of Earth this planet has. Yes, i have travelled from east to west, north to south. I live in West Texas, and work with a group out of Austin. The only part I rarely get to is the Houston area and Texarkana area.

When i was a boy i could name the mascot and school colors for every high school in the state. Even the 6 man teams up in the Panhandle. So many new schools, i gave up long ago trying to keep up.

The things I love about my homestate:

- NO INCOME TAX. Those dollars are offset by various commerce based taxes....the way it should be.
- the chicks. Seriously. im an old fart now...but my lord.
- the food. Nowhere else on earth can you get this blend of german and mexican cuisine.
- the land. if i want to ski, we got that. if i want to fish, we got that. If i want to be the only human within 30 miles....no problem. got that, too. There is nothing that I would want to do that I cannot do within our borders.
- the people. yes, we got some real ignorant assholes living down here. We typically just elect them to public office so we can keep an eye on them easier. the rest of us normal folks aren't so bad

my only beef with texas: I freaking hate the Dallas Cowboys. The only one of them I like is Romo. And I only like him because Cowboys fans hate him so much....he must be a great guy.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

whose state bird is a mosquito

That should read : Louisiana
But who's countin , right ? Everything's bigger in Texas....

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ClownFish

well...we have an entire part of the state called "The Piney Woods".
Other than my front yard (yes, i have pines growing here in the desert), that would be a good spot to look.

Just watch out for the gators. lol

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: Sublimecraft

whose state bird is a mosquito

That should read : Louisiana
But who's countin , right ? Everything's bigger in Texas....

in all seriousness, i kinda always thought our state bird should be the montezuma or bob white quail.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I was born in the DFW area and live here now. I have been all over the planet, multiple countries ect. I have been to many of the states in the US, I could live anywhere I want, but I chose to come back to Texas. I love Texas in all its sprawling glory. My favorite area in Texas is DFW but I have considered moving down to Corpus Christie.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

We'll check it out. Thanks!

CF
edit on 1-6-2016 by ClownFish because: Typo from cell phone bump from crazy driver next to me...

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Been a resident of Dallas for more than 30 years, I could never see myself moving. Might have been born in Ohio, but I got here as fast as I could! I have traveled and seen some fine places and interesting historic odds and ends all over the world, but always wanted to go back home to Dallas. (ohh and yeah, if this rain keeps up I am buying a freaking canoe!)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well, howdy neighbor!
I was born in Graham but call Denton home and have for Most of my life. My taps are cold and hot just like my weather maybe just more hot. A lot of rain lately but we needed it. Humidity we do not, all full up on that. Gotta love that we are American but when it comes to brass tacks we are Texans first. What are people from Iowa called, Iowainians? Sounds a bit to "Terrorist" for my taste.

People think it's all Rednecks and Country music. UNT is the 1st Jazz music school in the world. Many Artists are from here from Nora Jones and Roy Orbison to Meatloaf and Stone Cold Steve Austin. Great people here, great times to be had and according to the "future maps" of the states Texas will still be here just a bit shorter drive to the coast. Houston will likely be a great place to scuba!

Opposite the stereotypes there are a ton of very smart open minded people out here so I am not suprised we have such a large presence here on ATS. I guess everything is bigger down here after all. We absolutely do not like penis jokes at all, that is the quickest way to piss a Texan off! Haha (forget what you see in my handle name, or profile).

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: wastedown
What are people from Iowa called, Iowainians?

'Yankees"

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well heck guys, I am pleasantly surprised by the warm and fuzzy replies.

I saw that Lubbock got it pretty good today whilst I slept, but that's not unusual. You can flood Avenue Q with a good beer piss.

I knew we had a number of Texans on here, but it would appear that number has grown.

I just wanted to say thanks. It means a lot to know that you're keeping folks in your thoughts as they do their damnedest to persevere in the wake of Mom.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Oh Toadies... I saw them last year and the year before. One of my all time favorite bands.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

I'm definitely in the haboob camp, but I love language.

I look for those quirky sayings from all over. If they're clever, I make them my own.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv
My family has a big reunion every year in Breckenridge. I haven't been able to make it for some time though. I love that area.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

I think you, BFFT and I need to start a gang. We could have the northwest sector secured by nightfall.

I'll take the riff-raff from Hobbs, and you can subdue that ENMU bunch.

Waddya say?

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

I've heard the same thing, I'm not 100% sure on it. I do know that my Dad says it is true and he is a 40 year lineman. He built line from McAllen to Amarillo.

Also, you are missing the perfect time to be here 64• at 8:30 in the evening on June 1st... WTF Over?

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You always seem to nail it when it comes to Texas.

The food is unreal. When I was central, Fredericksburg was the place to go for German food, now I'm happy with my proximity to Seminole.

Only question, do you like your varenyky fried or boiled?

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

West Texas has been getting hit pretty hard this past week in general. There were 4 tornado's between stanton and big spring about 3 days ago.

Im willingn to bet jb thomas reservoir is a muddy mess right about now.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

I lived in Dallas for one year, the Texas State Fair was a trip. Really cool. Lots of big turkey legs!
We had a really bad hail storm once, it was crazy!
edit on 6 1 2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

i played high school ball against the seminole indians (grew up in coahoma).

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

I've never been to the state fair, but I generally look for the backwoods attractions. Never been much on tourist traps.

Oh, and just so you know, those "turkey legs" are actually emu. That's why they are stringy and have that strange shin bone that you never find on your thanksgiving turkey.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join