It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Fellow Texans...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   
To all former, current, native and adoptive Texans out there.....

Have you just ever stopped to marvel at our great land? Have you traveled from top to bottom, east to west? Have you even tried, or was it even a consideration of yours to try to take it all in?

There is some crazy stuff going down in Texas at the moment. It's a devastating weather pattern. I no longer live in the area most affected, but I do sympathize, and I would like to take a moment just to send a prayer, or good vibes or whatever positive reinforcement is necessary to help the people that are being impacted by the recent natural events.

Being from here, I've learned to take the good with the bad. I gotta tell you guys, the bad isn't as bad as it seems, because people band together here. They always have. They help one another. I know that I will not be let down by the true humanity that so many Texans just have within them.

We get the job done.

We also love to talk sh*t. We love good times, even if they are just happenstance. We love BBQ, beer, live music (of all genres, don't be fooled), and most of all, we love people. I admit losing sight of that last tidbit from time to time, but I do try to make amends.

At one time, I felt blessed for my good fortune to be born a US citizen. I have always been somewhat patriotic, except during my "goth" phase... Who the hell knows what that was about. Lately, I just think that being born a Texan was probably the greatest stroke of cosmic luck anybody could have. Texas is effing awesome.

If you don't believe me, do some research, or better yet, come hang out for a month or so.

I bet we could end up being friends.

Again, send some good vibes to those inundated by tragedy at the moment. Not just Texans, but the many problems around the world.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

A great person you are!!! S/F

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
How funny.

The adverts on my ATS page instantly changed to "Don't mess with Texas"

Junior Nelson's mug and everything.

How perfectly conspiratorial.

I hate advertising.

Sorry, saw a squirrel.. Back to the task at hand.

edit on 1-6-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Nice post.. Not for me though, don't think I could handle hot water coming out of both taps..

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   

I've heard of this mythical land - apparently it's a veritable carnivores Shangri-la whose state bird is a mosquito, the toilet paper resembles rolls of $50 and open carry be like....

Sounds good, I'll be there next trip I think - maybe even in time to see the footings go in for Trumps wall - it will be a beautiful wall.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Yeah

How do you solve a cricket plague? You eat them - Austin Powers

** crickets chirping **

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
drive day and night....to cross this state......toadies 1995

prettiest women and the best music......and the home of manly footwear......I wanna go home to the Armadillo.....
edit on 1-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

whose state bird is a mosquito

Oh my gosh, I laughed out loud so suddenly that I spit on my desk!

I'm in Texas and I was trying to think of something funny to say about those things outside that are blocking the view, but that line will always be a classic.

I'm still trying to figure out the "don't mess with Texas" thing. Texas is in my blood (my father and maternal grandfather are born and raised here) but it isn't in my...psyche?...how do I translate that I need a babble fish here?

I've been here three years and I am still in a bit of culture shock, but I love it here. The people are nicer than anywhere else I've lived.

Gulf coast is a different matter. We went there because I can't stand being land locked. I'm used to Monterey and Carmel and Pacific Grove, CA. The water in the gulf coast smells to high heavens and this is the first time I saw sea gulls, barfing on the edge of the water.

But the best part, that makes up for everything, is that the other day, I saw a lawn full of fire flies....wow....they were part of a distant memory, that I thought Monsanto had finished off for good. Now, if I could only find a pine tree...

CF

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Are you in the 'haboob' camp or the 'sandstorm' camp?

“Haboob!?! I’m a Texan. Not a foreigner from Iraq or Afghanistan. They might have haboobs but around here in the Panhandle of TEXAS, we have Dust Storms. So would you mind stating it that way. I’ll find another weather service.”

Made me laugh

Haboob or sandstorm? Arabic weather term stirs controversy in Texas

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Nice post, Boba.
Unfortunately, I was not born in the Lone Star State, but the natives have adopted me and made me one of their own.
I've only lived in 3 other states, but Texas is by far the most laid back and friendly. Been here for a few decades and don't ever want to live anywhere else. I could go on and on about the food or the music but you've heard it all before.

That being said...it sucks to be in this part of TX at the moment. I'm a mile away from the Brazos. We are safe, but folks nearby are evacuating livestock as we speak. Everyone with a stock trailer has been on the go, helping neighbors and strangers alike for days. Some folks choose to stay in their homes and their was a guy delivering What -a- Burger to them in his front end loader.

I have a habit of getting so caught up in world news and the horrors that are taking place on such a huge scale. I get depressed and disgusted with humanity. Then we'll have some random local disaster and I can see the people here all pulling together, sometimes at great personal risk, and it restores my faith in humanity once again.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Wait....I thought the state bird was the jackalope

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Being a native Texan liberal, I have a love-hate relationship with Texas. I get frustrated with the conservative ideology, but at the same time I find many of my conservative relatives very endearing. These are salt of the earth people, and they will give a stranger a hot meal or the shirt off their back - no questions asked.

My in-laws have a small cattle ranch, and I don't think I have ever seen my father-in-law in anything other than cowboy boots. He has a nicer pair for weddings and funerals, and his every day scuffed up pairs. That and his Levi jeans, western shirt and cowboy hat. He is the real deal. The small town they live near (Breckenridge - about an hour northeast of Abilene) is having a really hard time with flooding. They are doing okay where they are, though they may be stuck at home for a while, with many roads around there impassable. Just hope their cows are okay.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Ah Texas...

Alaska's little sister

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Being a native Texan liberal, I have a love-hate relationship with Texas. I get frustrated with the conservative ideology, but at the same time I find many of my conservative relatives very endearing. These are salt of the earth people, and they will give a stranger a hot meal or the shirt off their back - no questions asked.

My in-laws have a small cattle ranch, and I don't think I have ever seen my father-in-law in anything other than cowboy boots. He has a nicer pair for weddings and funerals, and his every day scuffed up pairs. That and his Levi jeans, western shirt and cowboy hat. He is the real deal. The small town they live near (Breckenridge - about an hour northeast of Abilene) is having a really hard time with flooding. They are doing okay where they are, though they may be stuck at home for a while, with many roads around there impassable. Just hope their cows are okay.

Your father-in-law sounds adorable. I hope everything will get back to normal soon, including for the livestock and other four-legged friends. Texas has had a difficult time, weather wise, these last few years. I send my best wishes.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hello from the Rain Drenched Pan handle area around Amarillo Lubbock Midland. And yes there is a difference between sand/dust storms that happen every tuesday and thursay and the HuBOOBS that his once every two years. Sure it is a word from the Middle East but it WORKS for what it is You have to be a Boob to try and go out in it...

Now I hope one of those does not hit during this rain, There will be MUD falling from the skys...

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Thank you! He is pretty adorable, actually. He looks so much like Paul Newman. If you've ever seen the movie Hud, that's what my father-in-law looks like, only older.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Ah Texas...

Alaska's little sister

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CoBaZ

I was born in Lubbock, but we moved to Houston when I was two, so I never experienced this Haboob deal. I'm pretty glad of that!

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:08 PM
link   
They got real bad when the area lit on fire about 4 years ago...

until then they were the common dust storms
edit on 1-6-2016 by CoBaZ because: more

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Is it true Texas has it's own electrical grid? I've heard it posited that between the guns, oil, food production and the electrical grid, Texas would be in the best position of all the US states, to secede if it wanted to.

My daughter is a transplant there. She loves it!!! Been to visit your fine state, and planning on another visit in the fall. (Too damn hot right now, lol.)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join