It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Networks Cover Gorilla Death 54 Times More Than Chicago Shootings

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
By now most people know about the boy that got into the Cincinnati Zoo gorilla area and the gorilla was shot and killed.

The boy was not seriously injured.

It seems however that the news media is covering this story and its controversies more than the recent shootings in Chicago (and other cities).

I guess the advertisers see more productive revenues from some stories over others.

The article shows where the Big3 broadcast networks are going ape over the gorilla killing.

The Big3 are the most viewed TV stations.

Networks Cover Gorilla Death 54 Times More Than Chicago Shootings

As Newsbusters reports, 69 citizens were shot across Rahm Emanuel's Chicago over the long Memorial Day weekend, but the broadcast networks instead focused like a laser on the death of Harambe, the Cincinnati Zoo gorilla who manhandled -- animal-handled? -- a toddler who fell into the gorilla habitat.

Harambe was shot on Saturday by the Zoo's Dangerous Animal Response Team after it was determined that it was the only way to guarantee the boy's safety. There followed a perfect storm of social media outrage and news media obsession about the regrettable but necessary killing.

Newsbusters notes that ABC, CBS and NBC spent 54 times more coverage -- a total of 55 minutes and 7 seconds -- on the Harambe incident (which sounds like a Robert Ludlum novel) than they did on the Chicago shootings -- 1 minute, 1 second of reportage -- which also included deaths.

#Harambe

edit on Jun-01-2016 by xuenchen because:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Did any of you see how viscously that gorilla was dragging the boy through the water...

I'd have shot him as well.

I don't get the outrage.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Actually, I would rather they cover the zoo incident more than the Chicago shootings... See, the focus is stupid people like the parents, which is the root cause of all of our problems. If they focus on Chicago, then they focus on GUNS, and we do not need anymore useless gun control.

I get what you are saying though.

iTruthSeeker
edit on 1-6-2016 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
People care about the gorrilas, because the media tells them to... most people keep their heads in the sand about the shooting gallery that is chicago/detroit etc...

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I finally saw a bit of it last night on the news. He(the gorilla) was moving pretty fast, all it would have took was one wide swing and the boy hitting his head on some concrete for him(the boy) to be severely injured or dead.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's unfortunate the gorilla was killed.. But which scenario would be worse, a child being killed by a gorilla or what happened..
Unfortunately the gorilla would have lost his life in both scenarios.. At least one life was saved..

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Also, if anyone really cared about the gorilla, they wouldn't lock them in a cage for their own amusement.

ETA: The irony of the "senseless killing" of an animal deprived of it's freedom and locked in a cage like a possession, is not lost on me. Some people really just don't know the level of their hypocrisy.
edit on 1-6-2016 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Its understandable to a point. Children falling into zoo cages isnt incredibly common.

That having been said, the media will never properly cover or report on Chicago's violence.

Mainly because it contradicts the gun confiscation narrative: that violence (especially when a "legal"* gun is involved) is committed by Whites, in public places, with multiple victims, using scary rifles.

Chicago violence is primarily Black on Black violence committed by "illegally"* acquired handguns.

*I put an asterisk next to "legal" and "illegal" guns because simply having a firearm in your possession should never be a crime.

edit on 1-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock
Also, if anyone really cared about the gorilla, they wouldn't lock them in a cage for their own amusement.

& if anyone really cared about Detroit they wouldn't gentrificate the inner city for their own political gains.

& yes, you're 100% right, Spock.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I don't know how to say this without sounding cold or like an ass, so here goes: It's not every day that a kid falls into a gorilla enclosure.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Did any of you see how viscously that gorilla was dragging the boy through the water...

I'd have shot him as well.

That's probably why this is a good ATS topic. Nothing is as it seems with this story and the way it's been propagated in the media. I don't see why there's no video of the incident that's been properly clipped together to show Exactly what happened.

People are being spoon-fed exactly what the MSM want them to see.

ETA: The main point being ... the media is creating a distraction with the right hand so we're not looking at what the left hand is doing. Probably something to do with the Clinton E-mail scandal coming to a head.
edit on 162016 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   

It's also more shocking and unexpected, as it doesn't happen every day, or even close to it. Human tragedy doesn't always get top billing. News media would cover a story of a child circling the globe in a hot air balloon far more than they would cover stories of people being diagnosed with skin cancer, which happens far more often.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   
All lives matter? Some more than others, I guess.

What's for dinner?

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
You know what they say in show business? Never follow a kid or animal act.
This stories got both.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Maybe it´s simply because animals are the better humans

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Violence in Chicago is nothing new meaning it's NOT NEWS.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Probably because the gorilla was an innocent victim

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

ETA: The irony of the "senseless killing" of an animal deprived of it's freedom and locked in a cage like a possession, is not lost on me. Some people really just don't know the level of their hypocrisy.

That silverback was safer in the zoo than in the bush, apes, chimps, and the rest, are all beng shot for 'bushmeat' to feed the miners digging up the rare earth's for the cell phone industries.
edit on 1-6-2016 by pikestaff because: spelling corrections.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

There are two sides to that.

People care about what they can directly experience and see. This is one of the most important impacts of a zoo. You get to see animals up close and really see them. Wildlife docs on TV don't have the same impact or directness as getting to really look a gorilla or giraffe or lion in the eyes does, to really see and experience that animal and understand it lives and breathes same as you.

It would be interesting to me to see just how many who agitate against zoos today got their start in loving animals so much in no small part because they went to those same zoos as small children.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I prefer discussing the gorilla in the zoo verses the animals in the concrete jungle also.

____
adding to the gorilla discussion btw:
shooting was justifed..you simply cant take the chance. no way in hell the zoo would shoot its moneymaker without fully considering any other possible way. they tried to call him off, and he was becoming more agatated..most of the time when this happens, gorillas sit protectively, then leave when called off..this one was in full threat mode eventually..and I put the blame on the screaming crowd freaking him out and making him go spastic..when that happens, the crowd needs to be calm and quiet so zookeepers can do their job

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join