It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish police officers are to be equipped with taser guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:26 AM
link   

STOCKHOLM, 31 May 2016: Swedish police officers are to be equipped with taser guns in a pilot scheme following several years' call from within the police force. There has been repeated calls for taser guns within the police force after multiple fatal police shootings occurred in recent years. An internal police working group and the police.

Today, the Swedish law enforcement only have access to pepper spray in order to incapacitate criminal.

A local survey went out the the US and it shows that the Police resorts to violence much quicker with the use of a tazer.
Specifically, the report surveyed local departments and found that those sanctioning the use of these weapons rose more than 10 times between 2000 and 2013, up from 7 percent to 81 percent – or up from 60 percent in 2007 to 81 percent in 2013.

The use of violence increased about 10 times..

Let me hear what you think?

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: LauGhing0ne

Sounds better than getting shot to death.

Pepper spray might not do the trick.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

UK police usage of taser guns went up every year. I guess that could be tempered by allowing for rising populations and the stresses of going through a recession too.

It took a dip in 2014 which continued into 2015. This *might* be evidence that a reasonable usage policy leads to a plateau.

Chances are, your Swedish police will have a new 'go-to' solution to violent incidents and you'll see a similar rise in taser use. It looks like it plateaus at some point and, I imagine, an effective training programme would take them to that place a lot quicker than UK police managed.

Guess it's wait and see time??

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Meanwhile, another shooting rampage in the US. Tune in next week for the next mass shooting.

Seriously, this is making news in Sweden.... schools are equipped with ARs in the us, by equipped i mean issued. . This is kindergarten level policing by contrast.

Get on our level Sweden. Its time to start protecting and serving

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LauGhing0ne
Today, the Swedish law enforcement only have access to pepper spray in order to incapacitate criminal.

Plus a 9 mm Sig Sauer handgun and a telescopic baton. This is the same as a UK police officer, except without the gun!

Tasers in the UK are not issued to all police officers, and their use is still highly regulated.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

They don't already have them??? Why so long?

Anyone with a concealed firearm license can carry one too. The cpl license covers that too.

I have a taser, licensed with my firearm. And I am a civilian.

MS
Michigan USA

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Because some country’s are careful not to militarise there police, letting them run round wild being judge jury and executioner like the USA.

edit on 1-6-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I don't think a Taser quiiiiiiite counts as "militarization" of law enforcement.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No it doesn't.

And its a sensible bit of equipment to be honnest.

But its healthy to have a long debate over it and be critical of there use. Rather than just hand them out like sweets.

What we dont want is to treat decisions like this lightly otherwise it starts a slippery slope were we end up handing out machine guns and APC to police and letting them run wild with lethal force.

Better to keep LEOs on a tight leash as we can from the USA whats happens when you let them run wild.

Again its a correct decision to let them have tazors but Id rather decisions like that be taken with alot of thought and debate,

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Considering some of the problems they are having, violence isn't a bad reaction. Guns would be more useful.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I understand that. With both weapons...I have the ability to stop a threat (taser)...or neutralize(firearm) it.

Responsible training and legal rights to use each is a must.

I will say...the taser is the best option to stop a threat. But I do know a case where young man was tased 3 times and kept coming at the officers. (he
was on drugs).

Its great tho Sweden's coming on board though..
edit on 1-6-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Considering some of the problems they are having, violence isn't a bad reaction. Guns would be more useful.

Not every solution is guns.

Sweden can probably see the disaster of the US police forces,

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Tase 'em bro.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I want to second what you replied here about guns not being the solution. And I think most opposers really misunderstand the intentions of carriers and owners.

Its not what those think. It Sooooo crazy out there...that we are owners not to be cowboys or law enforcers.

Our entire intent in carrying and owning is to Never have to use them. Ever.Its not the issue. We try very very hard and pray we never shoot someone ever...not once in our whole lives....

But if someone is about to kill me my family friends neighbors or even someone I don't know...then and only then...will I use my weapon(s).

Thanks...MS

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Not every solution is guns.

Sweden can probably see the disaster of the US police forces,

When there are groups of people assaulting citizens, guns could help. If it comes to violent rioting and worse, guns could help. No, they don't solve everything, but they can be useful tools. Proper training goes along with that. Weeding out the types that abuse their power would help here. Even without using a gun, that sort is a problem.

join