It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Aligator in Florida Golf Course

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

No, I say leave it be. It is obvious from the Original Post that everyone on the course knows he is there.

posted on Jun, 4 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I still say let him play through or you may be Chubbs.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

No, I say leave it be. It is obvious from the Original Post that everyone on the course knows he is there.

The people running it might know. Do they inform every single visitor? Do they insure that no one will be attacked? Knowing he's there isn't a guarantee of safety. Sooner or later, someone will end up hurt.

Even trained animals can, and do, turn and attack. This is a wild gator. He's an amazing specimen, too. Better in a zoo than killed for attacking someone.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: Swills

I'm waiting for the giant alligator vs nile crocodile battle at the golf course video, of course it may get interrupted by a naked homeless canibal/zombie trying to eat one of the lizards as its Florida after all

I kid you not, there actually are nile crocodiles. I have no idea how, but there are. A few have been found.

Do you mean in Florida? Wouldn't surprise me at all! Native crocs there, of course, and all sorts of imported animals as well. A snake guy from a zoo down there told me once that, if you found a non-native snake, it was as likely to be deadly as not, because that is so common there. More than one sort of large lizard, too, wreaking havoc on the local birds, giant snakes, so why not Nile crocs? In Florida, you just never know what you might encounter!

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I know you Jersey folk are used to ghastly critters like they show on Jersey Shore, but I grew up down there with America's version of Australian wildlife. Big & slow can instantly become lightning fast, end of discussion. Learned this firsthand fishing the canals of the FL backwoods. All it takes for a hulking gator to move fast is something it wants, now.
And for something that size anyway, it needs to be in a more appropriate area for it's food intake, too. It really does belong in the swamps somewhere with plenty more to hunt than a golf course can offer.

I don't think you could pay be enough to go out in some areas down there! Worked with someone who saw a single gator take out two LARGE dogs once, lightning fast. The dog we had, who would have LOVED to swim, wouldn't go near the water, most of the time. She knew!

And, yes, that gator needs a better location, just for food and space. Plus, on a golf course, sooner or later, some idjit will feed him, and then it's all bad.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
The people running it might know. Do they inform every single visitor?

Does the National Park service tell every single person they can be eaten by Grizzlies in their parks?

I have no sympathy for the person stupid enough to go close enough and get attacked by this alligator.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

The people running it might know. Do they inform every single visitor?

Does the National Park service tell every single person they can be eaten by Grizzlies in their parks?

I have no sympathy for the person stupid enough to go close enough and get attacked by this alligator.

The National Parks do post warnings, in areas with potential wildlife threats, so yes. When we camped in a national forest, when I was a child, the rangers made a point of showing campers what bears could do, so no one was tempted to feed them or anything.

One doesn't have to be stupid to be attacked by an animal. Animal attacks happen all the time, and there isn't always a warning, or a way to avoid them. In a golf course, people shouldn't have to worry about that as much. Knowingly leaving a large and dangerous animal like that there is a legal liability.

posted on Jun, 5 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

The National Parks do post warnings, in areas with potential wildlife threats, so yes.

So why would a state park not get the same consideration?

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Omg at first I was like no biggy I just saw that thing

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Do you mean in Florida?

Source

Five Nile Crocodiles, members of a species native to Sub-Saharan Africa, have been found in Florida. According to the study that identified the crocodiles, the invasive species likely traveled to the United States from South Africa.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Do you mean in Florida?

Source

Five Nile Crocodiles, members of a species native to Sub-Saharan Africa, have been found in Florida. According to the study that identified the crocodiles, the invasive species likely traveled to the United States from South Africa.

Wow........now that's seriously disturbing!!! Those are some mean crocs. Thanks for the link.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Parks in Florid post warnings about gators. Been there, seen them. Does the golf course post any?

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Parks in Florid post warnings about gators. Been there, seen them. Does the golf course post any?

No clue. Give them a ring and ask.

Maybe you can get us the thing's name too.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

First, the name part...

Powell, who manages all of Manatee County's golf courses, said they've thought about nicknames for the alligator, but none have ever really stuck.

Now, the golf course hopes to officially name its alligator, in an effort to promote its preservation and discourage any harm to the beast.

What it is doing in the area...

Powell said the gator comes out this time every year for mating season and typically spends most of its time at the reservoir near the third tee.

Source: Fox13 - Florida golf course GM: Gargantuan gator 'is real'

So, no name yet. And doing what all animals like doing "getting laid and hanging out at the pool"!

Yeah, people are rather dense when it comes to wildlife. There was some eedjiot here (AK) that picked up a baby moose and carried it away from the street! They are lucky to not have been trampled. Last week two joggers were when they got too close to another moose w/baby. No sympathies here either.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Yes, they do even though it should be common sense that dangerous things live in Florida waters.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Yes, they do even though it should be common sense that dangerous things live in Florida waters.

Should be, but it's amazing some days how stupid people can be!! When living in Florida, we had a neighbor who had a seriously overgrown backyard, and a "pool" that looked more like a swamp. At one point, we could hear the unmistakable sounds of a large gator, just as you can hear in a show about them. Called animal control, and they claimed they could not come unless she called. Never mind that we have kids there, and there was a hole in her fence; she had to call. So, e tell her what we heard, and the bubblehead actually tried to claim it was a "frog". She KNEW; you could tell from her reaction, but she wouldn't call anyone.

At least the course posts warnings. That's something!

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

No clue. Give them a ring and ask.

Maybe you can get us the thing's name too.

Not my issue, if they have a golfer eaten, and didn't do anything to prevent it.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Not my issue, if they have a golfer eaten, and didn't do anything to prevent it.

I guess whoever gets eaten can sue the state for negligence.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

The families could sue the golf course, for allowing the animal to remain. That alone should prompt them to have it removed.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 01:07 AM
link   

HA HA ..A couple years ago a tour airboat operator was showing off to clients feeding the gators and screwed up. A gator jumped up out of the water and took his hand.

He was charged with feeding the illegal feeding.

Insult to injury.

edit on 8-6-2016 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join