It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Criticize With Kindness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Just now, I came across this + ARTICLE + posted by a facebook friend of mine. I figured that it could potentially do some good in furthering the pursuit of denying ignorance, so I want to disseminate this interesting advice to all of you good sirs and madams on ATS.

The article begs to answer a critical question: How nice are you supposed to be when dealing with an ignorant opponent during a discussion or debate? The universal nature of this query is what makes it so pertinent to discuss here on this forum.

Simply put, one should never make a caricature of the opposition.

We see it all of the time, democrats bashing republicans based on faulty generalizations and vis. a vis.

But how can we avoid this obvious pitfall that stands in our way of getting at the truth?

--Easily.

You see, the article outlines four criteria that, when met, will result in successful criticism:

Lastly, the article emphasizes the fact that this is particularly relevant to the online world--and this includes ATS, of course: "If only the same code of conduct could be applied to critical commentary online, particularly to the indelible inferno of comments."

If only, indeed.

So, what are we waiting for? Let's try to do this and stick to it to make our discussions more fruitful all across the board.

edit on 31-5-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

thats amusing thanks, it took me years to learn how to be a dick without looking out right like one and here you have a guide for it. dammit where were you when i needed this. kill them with kindness? isnt that the saying?
edit on 31-5-2016 by malevolent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:44 AM
link   

so you're saying people are mean buttheads,

i agree people are mean buttheads,

you have taught me we should not be mean buttheads to each other.

i dont think your thread is going to accomplish anything except to attract mean buttheads.

cwatididthere

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Your thread has been worth it if one person decides to dial down their hostility around here.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Your thread has been worth it if one person decides to dial down their hostility around here.
hey im being behaved and am dealing with my issues......

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

...or not becoming hostile in the first place.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

Certainly!

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: malevolent

You know you're okay in my books

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

The article was short. It did make some sense. However, it sounded more like marriage counseling. It is not like actual debating.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries

some people are just hostile no matter what, i am that way too

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:22 AM
link   

im trying still hard but thanks to rukias OP i can be myself and not break any rules lol. i was joking

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   

How nice are you supposed to be when dealing with an ignorant opponent during a discussion or debate?

1) Show no mercy. Put em down for the count
2) Take no prisoners

Wasnt that simple to answer ?
George Carlin summed it up :
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

edit on 5/31/16 by Gothmog because: humor

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: malevolent

im trying still hard but thanks to rukias OP i can be myself and not break any rules lol. i was joking

One of the few times I will find malevolent to be witty and agree that the OP is not a great help, in this place.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

How nice are you supposed to be when dealing with an ignorant opponent during a discussion or debate?

1) Show no mercy. Put em down for the count
2) Take no prisoners

Wasnt that simple to answer ?

That is a little too far

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra
Read the addition I had left out initially if you thin that was cruel
And , basically , those are the rules of any debate
High school debate class 101

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: malevolent

One of the few times I will find malevolent to be witty and agree that the OP is not a great help, in this place.
lmao i blushed... i wasnt even trying to be witty i had thought that was an obvious joke

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Just try and behave like you would in public, where I avoid confrontation and try to come to an understanding with people, very few of us if any go out looking for confrontation in the real world. You can do , but it's not always the wisest strategy. It's far easier with the anonimity of the Internet to project a tough guy exterior as so many on ats do, with the take no prisoner attitude.

I go to one forum where the general rule is "don't be a dick". Pretty easy to follow online and in real life
edit on 31-5-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Good, and succinctly put, article. Interesting website too, been reading through a few of the other articles.

Cheers for posting

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 06:58 AM
link   

And the media, they constantly engage in name calling and personal attacks.

Its part of the reason why they hate Trump so much.

Instead of "being above" the name calling, he gives it right back to 'em and is actually better at it.

Whatever someone has to say, verbally or on a message board/forum, it should always be done politely.

I'm not always the best at it but I am aware of what I should be doing.

When presented in a negative way, the message itself becomes diluted.

Some issues/topics are highly objectionable but you just have to try your best.

edit on 31-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Criticizing with kindness is simple. Be logical, factual, concise. Point out what you like, and what you don't. Don't be a jerk. However, it is typically something that really only works when discussing a neutral subject like artwork, and if somebody is not open to criticism to begin with is pointless.

Something that tends to be inherently volatile like politics or religion requires a far more delicate touch. People are naturally resistant to having their opinions swayed, even more so in cases where they are invested.
edit on 31/5/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join