It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Britain leaves the EU, an asteroid will strike London and their toilets will be confiscated.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Yes there is s big difference. EU commission serve for a fixed term and are all appointed by democraticly elected bodies.
The lords serve for life and include hereditary peers and lords spiritual.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
You are deflecting.
We can elect the people who introduce laws in the commons, the Lords is a rubber stamp outfit (even though they theoretically have the power to introduce a law)

We absolutely can not under any circumstances elect anyone into the EU who can introduce or repeal a law that applies to us, the people.

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
You are deflecting.
We can elect the people who introduce laws in the commons, the Lords is a rubber stamp outfit (even though they theoretically have the power to introduce a law)

We absolutely can not under any circumstances elect anyone into the EU who can introduce or repeal a law that applies to us, the people.

Yes but we do elect the people who appointment them. (Unlike the lords).

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Which is, by no stretch, direct democracy.
I don't know how you can dislike the Lords but approve the commission.

And if you think the Lords isn't filled up with political appointees then you haven't been paying attention.

They are all put forward by the government of the day...who are elected. So would you be ok with the Lords creating every law passed before parliament? If so, good luck to you, but don't try telling me it's democracy.
edit on 49pMon, 06 Jun 2016 12:58:49 -050020162016-06-06T12:58:49-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

As I have posted before I don't like the current structure but it is not as bad as sometimes portrayed and is certainly not any worse than the UK parliament.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

originally posted by: uncommitted

a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

Haven't you, in effect, highlighted why England DOESNT'T need the EU? It controls its own currency, makes it's own monetary and fiscal policy, etc. Uncertainty in the market will only last a week, or at least until something the next terrorist attack or Kardashian selfie hits the news. I am sure that current contracts with British and EU companies will continue to be filled on schedule.

It's the UK, not England, not Great Britain in this respect either. Why are you sure uncertainty in the markets would only last a week, and current contracts will continue to be filled on schedule? Sorry, is this another of your light hearted posts?

Ok, my bad on that part....United Kingdom it is then. The only thing I am sure of, is that nobody seems to be sure of anything. I only wanted to know if your remarks didn't show that the UK is already self sufficient? Not a serious question or a funny question....just a question.

I'm sure there would be a lot of opinions with a lot of conflicting views, but I don't believe the UK would be long term self sufficient, no.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Perhaps, but my wife is staunchly Brexit and I kinda agree with her. I was looking at some trade stats, and based on those, I would find it hard to believe that euro countries would mess with the status quo as the UK imports far more than it exports. If anything, I would think the EU would be pooping themselves over the UK leaving. The largest change in exports has been to China, so who knows. Guess we have, what, couple of weeks to find out?

www.uktradeinfo.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Perhaps, but my wife is staunchly Brexit and I kinda agree with her. I was looking at some trade stats, and based on those, I would find it hard to believe that euro countries would mess with the status quo as the UK imports far more than it exports. If anything, I would think the EU would be pooping themselves over the UK leaving. The largest change in exports has been to China, so who knows. Guess we have, what, couple of weeks to find out?

www.uktradeinfo.com...

I'm interested, I assume you aren't from the UK based on previous comments, are you based in the UK or are you and your 'Brit' wife (your words) based outside the UK?

I'm not going to put forward a view one way or another, but if the UK imports more than it exports, the exporters to the UK would want to get the best deal they could.

posted on Jun, 7 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

I am retired Air Force, we moved back here about 4 years ago as we have grand babies on the way. I was here for 8 years in the 90's and really liked Europe and the UK....still do. As I live here now, I do like to involve myself in the issues as they affect me directly now. Especially after I forked over some serious cash for a Visa so I could be here legally! Not to mention we are starting up a holiday home in France(Dordogne region if someone wants to book...LOL). BTW, My wife calls herself a Brit, so I just say the same. I suppose that could be offensive to some, but there ya go.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   

I am retired Air Force, we moved back here about 4 years ago as we have grand babies on the way. I was here for 8 years in the 90's and really liked Europe and the UK....still do. As I live here now, I do like to involve myself in the issues as they affect me directly now. Especially after I forked over some serious cash for a Visa so I could be here legally! Not to mention we are starting up a holiday home in France(Dordogne region if someone wants to book...LOL). BTW, My wife calls herself a Brit, so I just say the same. I suppose that could be offensive to some, but there ya go.

Hi, thanks for sharing, interesting story - I guess when you say Air Force you mean USAF? It is really interesting as you are an immigrant, looking to do business in the EU
Good for you, and thanks again.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   

No worries,
I hope our initial encounter doesn't affect future interactions! Yes, USAF, funnily enough I spent 8 years at RAF Lakenheath. I worked on the F-15E fighters there. I love Europe and hope the right decision is made. Seeing as how either Clinton or Trump is going to be President, I don''t want to go back!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join