It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Sometime they’ll give a war and nobody will come.’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
In 1936, a man named Carl Sandburg released a book length prose-poem about America and its citizens, which he called..."The People, Yes." In that poem was a line spoken by a little girl, which has been oft misquoted, yet referenced more times than can be accounted for since. Mr. Sandburg died in 1967, but that one line lives on. I suspect few of us have read that book(including me), or this excerpt which includes that line...

“The first world war came and its cost was laid on the people.
The second world war — the third — what will be the cost.
And will it repay the people for what they pay?...
The little girl saw her first troop parade and asked,
‘What are those?’
‘Soldiers.’
‘What are soldiers?’
‘They are for war. They fight and each tries to kill as many of the other side as he can.’
The girl held still and studied. ‘Do you know ... I know something?’
‘Yes, what is it you know?’
‘Sometime they’ll give a war and nobody will come.’

Lets all hope Mr. Sandburg was right.
edit on 5/30/2016 by Klassified because: spelling

edit on 5/30/2016 by Klassified because: missed a word

edit on 5/30/2016 by Klassified because: redundancy

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Its time to beat our swords into plow shears and learn war no more. The only way war will stop is when all the worlds children refuse to fight it.

Why are our kids still joining the military? Its been proven that the military doesnt take care of its Vets. They experiment on our kids.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Unfortunately I don't think Mr. Sandburg will be right, the military comes with so many financial perks that people who are desperate will always come to them. This is one of the reasons poverty exists in my opinion, to make young men who are struggling and desperate join the military for its perks.

Not only is poverty a motivating factor in military recruitment but so is patriotism. We have been brainwashed to believe fighting in wars is noble because we are fighting for our country.

If patriotism and poverty aren't good enough then the draft will be implemented and those who skip it are faced with imprisonment.

War truly is a blight on humanity. The first casualty of war is ALWAYS truth. I respect those in the military but I do not respect what is done in war nor the motives behind those wars.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

You'll answer that question when every single last child on the face of the earth learns how to be flawlessly nice and respectful without fail to one another on their own without compulsion.

In a word, never. It's sad, but it's true. So long as there are damaged and flawed people who can rise to positions of power. So long as there is evil, they will raise armies of their own, people who will like what they say, and there will need to be good people with the will to oppose them.

I wish that weren't so, but it is. It is as deep as human nature. We might as well wish to cease to be human.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

It is a lovely idea.

But sadly, there are people working for war.

People who's whole lives are invested in conflict

... and they outnumber the few who work for peace.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
Its time to beat our swords into plow shears and learn war no more. The only way war will stop is when all the worlds children refuse to fight it.

It's "plowshares." That's a great idea as long as everyone does it. But right now while we teach our kids to be tolerant and not be hateful, their kids are learning how to kill our kids with AK-47s. While our kids are looking for safespaces to hide from hurtful words, their kids are being taught that strapping on an IED and blowing up a bus load of schoolchildren will assure them a place in Heaven. I'm really sorry the world is not all rainbows and unicorns, but only stupid naive people unilaterally disarm. If they do there is a word to describe them: Conquered.

Why are our kids still joining the military? Its been proven that the military doesnt take care of its Vets. They experiment on our kids.

Because it's a source of jobs and a good place to learn a trade. It's a path for the poor to the middle class, from a life of abject poverty to one of promotion based on achievement, a meritocracy. The vast majority of Vets do not need to be cared for. The VA is in serious disarray and needs to be fixed, but most Vets never even see the inside of a VA med center. They don't have to. The most they see of the VA is to get the GI Bill (which is damned good these days) and have their way paid through university. They should easily be able to get through with zero debt. There have been some shameful examples of experimentation, especially in the past, but the vast majority of those in the military have done nothing more than get mandatory flu shots and haircuts.

If you want a peaceful place to be, it isn't going to be on this world--ever.

edit on 5/30/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
America is in the War exporting business; profiting on the blood and lives of innocents. Sold to the kids as glamorous, patriotic, toughguy, special cool gear, marketed like the newest DVDs, Beer or latest model car.

Capitalism at its most perverted and obscene.

edit on 30-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They can raise all the armies they want, but they can't get them here, without star-gates or divine intervention.

I'm just saying.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
There has never been a time in human history when we weren't either fighting or preparing to fight.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Shrug.

Maybe not. But if we dismantle the financial incentive to wage war, there will certainly be a lot fewer of them. We used to shame, ridicule and even jail war-profiteers. Now we exalt them as virtuous.

Our civilization is sick, and it starts with believing anything coming out of the mouth of a "leader." (a necessary evil that must be changed often and at regular intervals, or "freedom" is just a word).

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

If patriotism and poverty aren't good enough then the draft will be implemented and those who skip it are faced with imprisonment.

I used to see pictures and movies of the Jewish people being rounded up, held in long lines to board trains, or to enter the gas chambers. In the pictures, they always out numbered their captures 5 to 1. Even as a child I felt the incongruity of what I was seeing. No one would walk peacefully and willingly to their death. So something didn't seem quite right.

I was a child. I saw through the eyes of a child, and I thought like a child. Though my childhood is now far behind me, I recognize the same feelings of incongruity, when I look at the American people today. History will show us as mindless citizens following the inventions of a corrupt and greedy government.

We can't stop believing that one day Lucy is going to let Charlie Brown kick that football. And we are always left with that look of amazement on our faces when we find ourselves flat on our assess.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Sadly, there will always be an Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
As long as we believe there is no solution, and nothing can be done. Nothing ever will.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You are one of my favorite people here, but I have to disagree. I would post something pithy, but instead, I'll just point to the post above mine, and let Klass do the talking for me.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: misskat1

You mean they experiment on anyone and everybody

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The feelings mutual.

But,

I don't think I'm being cynical, just pragmatic.

We're a war-like species. We're violent, greedy, self-centered, nasty little monkeys who make really good tools.

Sure, we have our good points and I think our saving grace is the ability to imagine peace. we have a long way to go before we get there though.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

In the pictures, they always out numbered their captures 5 to 1

The one having the automatic weapon.The 5 ? Starving , diseased , weak . Make better sense now ? That right there should answer your questions for the rest of eternity.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The new avatar is for you....
Custodes Pacis - Guardians of Peace

We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm - Orwell

As long as there are evil people in the world seeking to do good people harm......we will be there

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

In my family, I am the one who is seen as super-pragmatic. yet somehow, I can't seem to chain my pragmatism to the issue of war, no matter how hard I try. My (step) father was a sailor, and is a damn good man. My grandfather was a sailor, and was my childhood hero. I admire the warrior spirit, and try to honor my father, grandfather and best friend (Marine, baby!) as best as I can. This subject is probably one of the few I still view through a largely idealistic lens. I can't help it. I have always been this way. I try to be practical, but my heart wants peace.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Every sane person wants peace.

Not every person is sane though.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join