It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asus unveils Zenbo, a cute robot for the home priced at $599

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I currently own several ASUS products and during my many years in the PC sales/service business developed a love/hate relationship with their many different pieces of hardware/peripherals/accessories/etc. It doesn't surprise me that they have been developing a robot for home use, but I won't be buying one any time soon. My personal experience has proven to me that it is often prudent to wait for a 2nd or 3rd iteration of a technological device before taking the (expensive) plunge. I can't justify spending this kind of money on a Zenbo, but, if money was not an object, I probably would purchase version 2.1 or later. As one of the comments following the articles states: Wait until the Japanese version comes out because it will cook/clean/fornicate.

From ComputerWorld reporter James Niccolai:

Asus has just unveiled what’s likely to be the most talked about product at this week’s Computex trade show in Taipei, a cute talking robot for the home priced at $599. Called Zenbo, Asus pitched it as a personal assistant that can help look after elderly relatives or read stories to the kids, but that might be selling it a bit short. The robot is about two feet high and rolls around on wheels, with a display that can show its animated face or be used for other things like making video calls and streaming movies. Asus Chairman Jonney Shih demonstrated Zenbo at a press conference in Taipei Monday, giving it voice commands and asking it questions is it rolled around the stage. “Hey Zenbo, is it true you can take pictures”? he asked. “Yes, I can take photographs,” the robot replied. He told Zenbo to take his photo with the audience in the background. Shih positioned himself on stage and Zenbo trundled over and took his picture. It was an impressive demonstration, assuming the Zenbo wasn’t being remotely controlled somehow from backstage.

the article also states:

There was no word when Zenbo will go on sale and a spokesman said Asus doesn’t yet have a ship date. It wants developers to sign up for a software kit that will let them build applications for it. But Zenbo appears to be able to do quite a lot already. A big part of the pitch is caring for the elderly, which could be especially popular in nearby Japan, which is struggling with an aging population. Zenbo "helps to bridge the digital divide between generations" by allowing seniors to make video calls and use social networking with simple voice commands, Asus said. It can also connect to a smart bracelet and alert relatives via smartphone app if their elderly relative has a fall.

Me: HELP Zenbo!!! I've fallen and I can't get up!!! Zenbo: ERROR!!! Please contact ASUS technical support!!!

Source Article

More Information and Videos from ASUS: Zenbo

edit on 5302016 by seattlerat because: added a link

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just a gimmick.. How can that look after elderly people?
Anyway would scare the Crap out of them!

And reading kids bedtime stories.. There are just some things that have to be kept human, and reading your child a story is about much more than the story.. It's about spending that quality time with your child before bed..
Although when they develop one that can change s#itty nappies I might consider it..

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The hounds would destroy this thing in 5 minutes.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

I think I will wait for the consumer version of the ATLAS robot by Boston Dynamics. I want a robot that can hold a shotgun pointed at my door at night and then just shoot an intruder that breaks down the door while I am sleeping. That way I can just defer responsibility to my bot and be like "hey man, he pulled the trigger on the criminal committing felony acts into my property, sue him if you want lol!"

Also I want to have one available as an extra man in football or basketball if the teams are uneven. This is the age of robotics I was waiting for.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I'm saving up for the one that looks like Scarlett Johansson.

cdn.wonderfulengineering.com...

The computer geek's smile in the photo says it all!...Am I Right?
edit on 30-5-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   
What makes a robot "cute"? Is that the requirement to convince parents to leave it alone in the room with their kids?

The more human they become the more dysfunctional, too. I like my paranoid, psychopathic, childish robot to not come with a stun function…

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

The computer geek's smile in the photo says it all!...Am I Right?

That will be the single biggest driving force to perfect robotic technology. I'd say you are right.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

First of all, hes too small.

He obviously cant climb stairs.

What can he do?

You know, besides eating us.

Military Researchers Develop Corpse-Eating Robots.

And not for nothing, but that "wink" seems suspicious.

The hell kinda trans-gender bot is that?

edit on 30-5-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Not impressed.. why are they even bothering. Completely worthless robot.

Call me when they can produce robots that can handle doing menial tasks.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

What do you mean by this?

Wait until the Japanese version comes out because it will cook/clean/fornicate.

Japanese sex-bots "coming soon?" Pun intended....

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

Call me when they can produce robots that can handle doing menial tasks.

OK. RRRRiiiing!

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Look after the elderly????? It couldn't make a cup of tea never mind clean a butt after the elderly person has had an accident. Or is it that it can only look after elderly people if they can look after themselves?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

What do you mean by this?

Wait until the Japanese version comes out because it will cook/clean/fornicate.

Japanese sex-bots "coming soon?" Pun intended....

Well, you know they'll be 'Faking it'.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Hey, say what you will about robot vacuums, but I had one that worked very well for the few years I had it before it got smashed in a moving accident by a washing machine. I love those little guys.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist

Hey, say what you will about robot vacuums, but I had one that worked very well for the few years I had it before it got smashed in a moving accident by a washing machine. I love those little guys.

So was the washing machine jealous?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

That thing can't go out with the trash or do the dishes. I don't even think it's particularly effective at vacuuming either, it can't clear obstacles or move them out of the way if they present a problem.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod

That thing can't go out with the trash or do the dishes. I don't even think it's particularly effective at vacuuming either, it can't clear obstacles or move them out of the way if they present a problem.

Oh, please. So? It vacuums. That's a trivial task. It matches what you wanted. No robot is going to be as good as your Mom in cleaning up after you.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Waste of money and resource.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

Just a gimmick.. How can that look after elderly people?

Agreed in principal but there is a what if here. What if the device could be programmed as a monitoring device for elderly people's health? Falls in the home, low blood sugar, doors left open etc? Would that not be worth it?

This is a start I reckon.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj This is a start I reckon.

indeed so. the thin end of the wedge.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join