It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rubio all-in for Trump, sorry for personal attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Rubio argued that supporting Trump, now the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, is the only way to keep Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton from becoming president, regardless of some of his scorched-earth campaign rhetoric.

“Despite all my differences with Donald Trump, I have a better chance to get a conservative-nominated Supreme Court with him than I ever will with Hillary Clinton,” he said.

Rubio said Trump also will support other parts of the conservative agenda including the repeal of ObamaCare and rolling back federal regulations that are “damaging” to the U.S. economy.

Less than two months ago we got the following the news:

Despite suspending his campaign, Sen. Marco Rubio is attempting to keep every delegate he won while running for president.

The unusual move reflects preparations for a contested convention this summer — and comes as Donald Trump backed away from an earlier pledge to support the Republican party's nominee if he is treated unfairly after winning more delegates than his rivals.
Rubio Makes Unprecedented Bid to Keep Delegates for Contested Convention

And, the following is about one month old:

"If he keeps winning delegates like he did the other night in New York, I think he's going to reach that number," Rubio said on Al Punto Florida. "But let's see. There are still other states to go."

Rubio, who continues to hold onto more than 100 delegates, has said he disagreed with Trump about the delegate system being "rigged." But Rubio did echo the argument that if Trump is close to 1,237 delegates, he should get the nod.

“I do think it's valid to argue to delegates: 'Look, let’s not divide the party. You have someone here who has all these votes, very close to get 1,237, let’s not ignore the will of the people or they’re going to be angry.' And delegates may decide that on that reason they decide to vote for Donald Trump. But if they don’t, it’s not illegitimate in any way,” he told Miami radio host Jimmy Cefalo on April 20. "That's why we elect delegates. That's the meaning of being a delegate, is choosing a nominee that can win."
Marco Rubio warming up to Donald Trump

The above is exactly why I've tended to do poorly in situations that are dependent on popularity for my entire life. If someone tries to stab me in the back the way Rubio did to Trump, I'm not going to be friendly to that person. That's putting it mildly.

I've come to the conclusion that you have to be a liar to be a successful politician. Does anyone think Trump could possibly want Rubio's help at this point? If the context were one of Trump's businesses, does anyone think Trump would ever speak to Rubio again?

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
America is doomer if you haven't noticed.

Here in my town they just cut the technology and industrial arts programs in the high schools.

Scary times.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Ah well at least Donald has got one latino to vote for him. Its a start and may probably help if he gets the nomination.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

If you want to be antiestablishment in politics, then you have to take all of your establishment friends whether you like them or not and treat them like family. You will go farther, be bigger, and make a bigger impact. Doesn't mean you have to like them, doesn't mean you have to trust them, just means you have to work harder to keep who you are from turning into what they are.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Rubio is probably finished. This whole story brings to mind the image of a younger Rubio on his knees in the rich white man's country club bathroom.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Perhaps Rubio is now sucking up to Trump in hopes he makes the VP list.

Because whoever is VP will probably have a very good shot at becoming president, should something happen to Trump or should Trump decide, after winning the election, he has had enough and just wants to go home.

I've come to the conclusion that you have to be a liar to be a successful politician.

Yep, and a *great* liar at that, to be able to look a reporter, or anyone, in the eye, and lie: in public, on TV, in interviews, at press conferences, etc while not appearing uncomfortable or making it obvious in the least.

And, how publicly talk trash about another person and turn around and have either a cocktail or lunch with the person.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Things got so vicious in the Republican Party. Far more vicious and vile than any of the attacks on the democratic side. And now one by one they get on their knees for Donald. I just don't understand any Republicans at this point. Their party has become so disgusting. Disgusting toward humanity, disgusting among themselves. There's not a shred of honor or dignity among them. Pure vomit.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

That's all one can do after the bitch slapping he and the rest of the candidates received playing their game of politics.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Here in my town they just cut the technology and industrial arts programs in the high schools.

Don't be too surprised as they have been doing that for many years.

When I was in school music classes were pretty much a thing...not so nowadays. It comes down to what they want to spend their money on...and certain programs just aren't it, and that does sadden me.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

The hypocrisy of having a Trump/Rubio ticket will only lead to much mocking laughter. It would be a late night comedian's dream.

Honestly, my bet would be that anyone who decides to jump on the Trump bandwagon as his running mate will be committing political suicide in the long run. It will be a slow, agonizing death.

The only person who might survive a Trump ticket would be Newt Gingrich, provided he doesn't collapse under the weight of his own political baggage.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust
I worked on Newt's campaign in the 70's. After all,he taught me in college and he is a great speaker. However, after getting to know him up close and personal there is no way I would vote for him. I was a polysci major and my conversations proved to me that he was just a phony. He practiced, really loud, one speech for and one speech against every political opinion. I asked him about this and he was all about getting the win; any way he could. After a few weeks I quit. Ever since I have been an independent/libertarian. But I don't believe one word any of them say-it is all politics.

Same with Rubio. He's been bought and paid for so he better perform. He's been told to suck up to whoever is the winner-the political position has no meaning.

I am very jaded by politics. All liars-wanting money and power-just look at how politicians increase their networth after winning an election. Disgusting. They are in it for themselves.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

Well, Rubio would likely accept because it would put him within reach, and Donald would likely offer if only to say "See, I don't hate Hispanics, I have one on my VP ticket." That is Trump strategy. I do not know how Rubio really feels, but it sounds like he's sucking up for the party (and Trump), and perhaps awaiting the opportunity (as other republicans are) for a falter, and, by extension, a chance to pounce.

I do agree that, in the long run it would be politically damaging, but not only if A) Trump makes it to the election B) Is elected and C) has a somewhat successful presidency.

As far as Newt..I agree.

I still think Cristie is a Trump favorite. But Trump would have to choose someone wisely to to lock in more support with the republican establishment and the rest of the mainstream Republican party.

Who knows.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Wow, talk about insight!

Win at all costs. That's not surprising at all.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Rubio is his own worst enemy, campaign wise. He really just needs to sit on the sidelines for a year or so and lick his wounds. He'll be back for the next presidential Merry-go-round.

I find Cristie funny as hell. His brown-nosing isn't even subtle.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

The Clinton Camp will run TV ads and ads across social media platforms with clips of Rubio labeling Trump a Conman. All in all Rubio made a fool of himself by not dropping out of the race before the first Super Tuesday and with the comments he has made. Until Cruz and Kasich had their sights set on a contested convention I thought out of all the GOP candidates Rubio had come out with the least credibility.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: maria_stardust
Rubio is his own worst enemy, campaign wise. He really just needs to sit on the sidelines for a year or so and lick his wounds. He'll be back for the next presidential Merry-go-round.

Yeah , I expect Cruz and Rubio to enter the Presidential merry go round for the 2020 cycle. If Trump loses in a landslide as I expect the GOP will be facing a massive rebuilding job. Can Rubio be a part of the rebuild? It's to soon to tell.

I find Cristie funny as hell. His brown-nosing isn't even subtle.

Cristie may well take the boost to his national profile that will come from being Trump's VP pick. Like Palin he could make the most of his 3 minutes of fame while being on a losing ticket.

top topics

join