It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The often dreaded but never spoken about fear of one's flagging footprint on ats.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: xuenchen
Flags are used per topic to rank the Top Topics

I rarely flag your threads, since the are usually awful, but I have.

Quite profound...

I rarely star your posts, since they are usually awful, but I have.

The Circle of Life on ATS.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I flag every thread ever.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
No one forces you to flag something.

The more flags a thread has, the more likely it will be that it's going to remain at the forefront. Flagging something doesn't necessarily mean you agree.

I flag quite often because it's either a topic that I feel should be discussed, whether I agree with the take or not. Or I flag because the thread is very well written and deserves reading for that alone.

Stars...

Well that's a bit more complicated, unfortunately... I have, last time I looked over 10 million of the things. Much as I'd like to take the credit for 'em...can't. There's a rather confusing, for me anyway, glitch that has things all bolluxed up...and it's simply not worth the time it would take to dig it out and repair it. The stars on an individual post are still meaningful though... I star because I either agree, and want to let the world know...anonymously. Or it's a good post, well thought out, and worthy of acknowledgement whether I agree, or no.

As for tracking who flags a particular thread? Nope. Doesn't happen. We know a thread is flagged without knowing the who. What possible reason would there be to track who flags a thread on a topic?

I've been here, as member and staff for ten years...I lurked from virtually day one. Bill, Mark, and everyone else are just as suspicious of everything as any of you, probably moreso in many cases. To imply that they, and by implication, other staff such as myself, are somehow "tracking" your flags is ludicrous at best, insulting at worst. Damned few of us have opinions that are so original, so dangerous that we need to be tracked. Someone tracking my flags is in for a confusing journey, as I flag a dozen threads, or more, a day on almost as many topics.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Actually, I would have to believe that the Op of the flagged thread will gain the most interest as an inciter to the public at large. Will be watched as the main instigator more than the contributors in said thread and thus, the anonymous flagged and/starrer will be extremely low on the list. So Flag and star away, I say! It doesn't give them much to go on...they will not dig that deep...yet!

Seriously, I think ATS uses it only to create their hot topics at the moment. It shows members, viewers, and advertisers what is trending. I will still feel safe about a simple flag or star for my interest or appreciation for an interesting topic brought to my attention.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I get the feeling that the OP isn't worried that their flagging history is visible to the community. More that it may aid in the creation of some 3 letter agency profile which may or may not be used against you at some future date and time. At leas that is my general anxiety when it comes to leaving a digital footprint.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: mmshelt

I joined long before the flagging and atars were here. Had to wonder if it's what you said and it's just a way to keep track of our opinions, if that's what you meant? I think it is, since it's a darn good idea!

At any rate, yes it can affect whether you want to flag or not.

Exactly my point

Was nothing more than thought piece though

A mere expression of my wishes that I wish this were not so.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

One thing I would love to add is that us fledgling ATS members take our flags very seriously, as they hold the same weight as experienced members and others alike.

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Simply because you flag a thread does not automatically mean that you "agree" with the contents of the thread OP. - Flagging, as defined by ATS, is primarily undertaken by a member who thinks that the wider ATS community should see the thread. As most here know, once a thread gains "X" number of flags, it stays on the live page for 17 hours and also becomes present on the home page (and "top" page too).

Be proud of your flagging history and don't shy away from flagging through fear of reprisals that the state may kidnap you and torture you due to the threads you flagged on ATS.

Well put indeed and duly noted.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I do not fear my footprint.

My boots are for others to fear, lest they ever decide to come to limit my freedom of speech in person. It is a bootprint they will know well, once it is ground into the ruined meat of their faces.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

your posting history tells "them" far more about you than this imaginary " flagging footprint " ever could

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I seriously doubt there is any nefarious plan to go through all ATS members and see what they flagged so they can be "punished" for their opinions. Ridiculous, why would anyone care or go to the trouble of doing so? I flag what I want and don't flag what I don't want. If someone sees that, I could care less>

It goes without saying that whatever one does on the internet is public record. I'm fine with that and post accordingly
edit on 31-5-2016 by vlawde because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Forgot to add, I really don't care who's keeping track. I'm not going to be afraid to express my opinion
Darnit, I was going to star you, but its not available . Oh, and the stars are tracked toooooo.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
to most of the older members, it doesn't matter.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

Forgot to add, I really don't care who's keeping track. I'm not going to be afraid to express my opinion
Darnit, I was going to star you, but its not available . Oh, and the stars are tracked toooooo.

Can't star you either
edit on 1-6-2016 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

Precisely.

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I don't think any of that is logged in any way. Given the issues with the star system, I suspect that I have fairly good support for my belief.

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Lol, I think he means he has two accounts and gives 2'flags lol

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

originally posted by: Quantum12
a reply to: Alien Abduct

Lol, I think he means he has two accounts and gives 2'flags lol

You explaind an obvious(the only obvious) part. And flagging twice with two accounts is redundant. Isn't that against T&C?

What about the part where he said " my girl bill" and "sandyhook" ...

You can flag two times.

First time gives a flag.
Second time takes the flag away.

That easy huh?

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If someone is tracking your online behavior, they can already see what threads you've visited on ATS regardless of whether or not you flagged them

posted on Jun, 2 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mmshelt I don't pay any attention to Stars, Flags or anything like that. I figure that if I am afraid to show my appreciation for something someone has posted here, I should stay away. After all, if "they" can see what you liked, "they" can see what you read and where you go. Do you really think that there is some sort of Secret Police whose job is to scan ATS for Star-Flag Subversives? I think not. Big Brother is NOT watching my Stars and Flags.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join