It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia scrubbed from UN climate change report over government tourism fears...

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The world seems to be getting warmer....as does the solar system.
For whatever reason....bu that is not what this is about.

This is about Tourism removing material from a study that shows damage being done to a part of the planet.

References to Australia were scrapped from a UN report on climate change and World Heritage sites after objections from Canberra, in a move scientists and activists called 'extremely disturbing'.

The study, jointly published Thursday by UNESCO, the Union of Concerned Scientists and the United Nations Environmental Programme, previously featured a chapter on the Great Barrier Reef, Kakadu and Tasmanian forests.

But the Environment Department stepped in to remove those sections over concerns it would have a negative impact on the country's tourism industry

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Really?
Seems like $$ talks...and the ecology suffers.
The Great Barrier Reef. The Brazilian Rainforests. The Białowieża forest.
Are the Rainforests of the US Northwest next??

I am in no way a tree-hugger type....but come on!!!!!
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that disrupting huge areas of this planet will affect weather, wildlife, actually the entire ecosystem.

Further Reading:
www.foxnews.com...
Australia PM's adviser: climate change is UN hoax to create new world order [2015 story]
www.newsghana.com.gh...
au.news.yahoo.com...

edit on Sun May 29 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
This happens to the IPCC as well. Final say goes to legislators, and the scientists work gets down played. I thought most people were aware of this

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
As the reef is a big tourist draw,shouldn't the Aussie ptb be more concerned about trying to preserve it rather then censor reports about its (reef)condition?
edit on CDTSunpm01261 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

Not on my watch! ... seriously, that's the legit reason.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

Yeah, you'd think they would care about the long-term effects....not just this tourist year and near term.

If I could go anywhere in the world...and money was no object...the Great Barrier Reef would be something I'd want to see and swim in.....
I'd like to think it will be around in a hundred years.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

The australian government is drooling at the thought of a new mine that would drain sludge in to the coral sea. What they don't know is the indians are starting their own mines so that revenue will be null and void. OZ is becoming a laughing stock because if these barbie doll politics.
edit on 29-5-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Interesting how the CC issue(as some say "agenda") boils down to revenue. Apparently, overall, it's only cared about if money is involved. The Indo-Pacific Coral reefs are said to be a high risk concern of dissapearing.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:22 PM
link   
We had a similar sort of thing after hurricane Ivan in the Cayman Islands. Our kind island was scrubbed by the hurricane, and yet there was a general outcry of "we're okay". Tourists, were, of course, initially prevented from coming to Grand Cayman.

It is my opinion that we weren't NEARLY healed before the gates were reopened. Moreover, many of the dive folks I talked with told me that the elkhorn coral and other coral heads were torn up, and they had difficulty with some of the established dive sites.

I don't think it did us any favors to have people visit here and find a shortfall of resources.

My truth is -- regarding the Great Barrier Reef, and other more local sites of disaster -- is that governments are often short-sighted, leaning more heavily upon generating income than repairing or preserving their resources. Kind of a damned if the do and damned if they don't thing though, because the drive of the people is to protect the dollars (generalization, but I think it's true.)

Very important thread, imo.

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Turbull the Australian Prime Minister is ex Goldman Sachs equally a part of the new world odour as the United Nations,Id hate to think what the quid pro quo was.

posted on Aug, 23 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Seriously? I often have a tour between Australia and Asian nation via Vivutravel. When a place attracts a lot of visitors, the local government will concentrate on developing services and also protecting environment to keep visitors staying there.

posted on Jan, 3 2024 @ 01:20 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

join