It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) Movie Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I will try to avoid any spoilers, but I suggest that you watch this movie before reading.

This is my first shot at a movie review- it will be brief.

So, I was born in 1969 and have begun watching movies from around that time that I have not seen either because I was too young, had never heard of them, or just did not think that it was something that would interest me. One of the films that fits this description was "The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes" released in 1970. IMDB LINK

Directed by Billy Wilder(The Seven Year Itch, Some Like it Hot, and many many more credits)
Robert Stephens as Sherlock Holmes (Cleopatra, War and Peace, and many many more)
Christopher Lee as Mycroft Holmes (The Hobbit as Saruman, The Avengers TV series, and a billion more)
Colin Blakely as Dr. Watson (The Big Sleep, and also The Avengers TV series)

If the cast isn't enough to make your mouth water, other aspects of this movie should inspire many of my fellow ATS members to view this 2-hour film. The cinematography, costumes, sets, and script are all fantastic (in my humble opinion) and I was caught off guard by many surprises that begin almost immediately and continue throughout up to and including the ending. It is obvious that the "Cold War" inspired some of the content, however, it still holds true to the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle writings.

Some of the fun stuff: Spies, Cryptids, Submarines, Sperm Donors, A ballet dancer so beautiful that 11 (wait 12) men have died over her, and what Sherlock Holmes story would be complete without illicit substances? I can't list too much stuff or it would spoil the movie for those who have not had a chance to see it yet.

I give the movie 4 stars. It may drag on a bit for some with a less than moderate attention span, but I thoroughly enjoyed the twists, turns, and superb acting. I laughed out loud a number of times, and had a great time watching it, although I wish I had been in a convertible at a drive-in with a cute lady to share the experience. I hope that some of you will have already seen this and reply with your opinions. I also hope that some younger members will give this movie that is nearly 50 years old a chance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! Time for popcorn!!!!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You Tube only has couple minute scenes and clips, though the actual movie is Pay per view, like $2.99 or so. Indeed, I have seen about every Sherlock Holmes movie ever made, or any containing Doyle's characters, together or separate. This will be something to look forward to seeing as soon as it comes out free on You Tube or Netflix. Thanks for the heads up, The Game is afoot......

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I've always been meaning to watch this one, being Holmes fanatic. I found it on primewire.ag, going to watch it on there.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Thanks Plotus and reldra for letting me know locations to view this- I plan on doing some more reviews in the future and this is information I probably should have included. I can't wait to hear if you enjoyed this as much as I did! Best wishes and have a great weekend.

new topics

top topics

join