It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

P47 Crashes in NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Watching the local news in Berks county, a P47 Thunderbolt crashes in NY just before it was scheduled to be at WW II Weekend at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum in Bern Township.

I attend the air show roughly every year, not this year as I'll be at Wizard Con. This is really some sad news for the pilot was killed.

wfmz.com...

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: misterhistory

Heard about this last night. The footage I saw was in the Hudson, rescue divers were jumping from a lo flying helo to try and find the pilot.

Old war birds are flying around here selling rides to locals out of Moffett airfield. They been lo flying over on approach all week. No mistaking those low rumbling engines and distinctive profile.

Footage compilation…

edit on 28-5-2016 by intrptr because: youtube

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

For Fleet Week I presume?

From what I understand they want to scrap it.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Memorial day is this weekend? Scrap the airplane that crashed in the Hudson? If they retrieve it, its a gold mine of parts at least and rebuildable, maybe. A P47 is a single seat attack aircraft, tough bird…

Wiki

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Bill Gordon was one of the long time pilots at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome :

oldrhinebeck.org...

Here is a picture I took of him back in 2006 or so :

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
A fabulous life there old boy......RIP my brother. flying leathernecks and their Thunderbolts were on Turner Classics Movies when he ditched, actually.
edit on 31-5-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

posted on May, 31 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Saltwater immersion is crap for airframes.Hangar 10 did a total rebuild on the Flugwerk Fw190 that ditched off the French Coast when the prop governer failed.fw190 rebuild

posted on Jun, 1 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

The plane crashed in freshwater. If proper steps are taken, it can be rebuilt and fly again.

I'm sorry for the loss of the pilot.
edit on 1-6-2016 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: Blackfinger

The plane crashed in freshwater. If proper steps are taken, it can be rebuilt and fly again.

I'm sorry for the loss of the pilot.

I, too, am sorry for the loss of the pilot.

Actually, the Hudson River is a tidal estuary all the way up to Troy, NY.. Exact salinity varies quite a bit from day to day and location to location, but it's considerably saltier than fresh water. I'm not sure how short-term immersion would affect the airframe or any components, but an estuary is certainly a less benign environment than one that is purely fresh water.

new topics

top topics

join