It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doctors: Postpone or Move Olympics Due to Zika

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:22 AM
link   
CNN

More than 100 medical professionals sent a letter to the WHO.

Brazil does not seem ready to host the Olympics, let alone implement serious mosquito reduction methods.

There have been calls in recent months for a delay or postponement of the Olympics, but what makes Friday's letter different is the scope and number of physicians, professors and bioethicists who signed it -- from Japan to South Africa, Norway to the United States.The officials said the Zika virus has "more serious medical consequences than previously known" and has worsened in the Rio area despite widespread mosquito treatment programs.

The WHO nor the CDC has changed it's stance, only issuing wanings for pregnant women.

One of the letter's co-authors, Lee Igel, took issue with Frieden's comments that there is "no public health reason" to delay the Games."If you think that a mega-sports event in the midst of a major virus outbreak in a host city dealing with a turbulent economy, sitting on top of a turbulent political situation, sitting on top of a turbulent social condition, doesn't pose a significant public health issue, then, sure, 'On with Games,' " Igel wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

I, personally, feel it is a poor idea to have the Olympics there, now. I find it to be courting disaster. Time will tell.
edit on 28-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

I think it would be unfair to cancel or move the Olympics due to the Zika virus , much money and effort has gone into the preparations and the losses for the Brazilian government would be huge.

The WHO nor the CDC has changed it's stance, only issuing warnings for pregnant women.

This is where some personal responsibility comes into play , pregnant or women planning pregnancy should heed the advice and stay away.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You make a very good point gortex.. It's a tricky one, seems to be damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People will be Aware of the risks should it go ahead.. And moving it? Which country in the world would be prepared to host such an event at short notice.

Even London who hosted 2012, would not be in a position after the Olympic village has been redeveloped for other purposes.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Good reply:
Swine Flu - 3 years as many as 579,000 people could have been killed by the disease
Zika Virus - 1 year and WHO counts the possible deaths as 3

So let the WHO and the CDC do what they do best....

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Too late to cancel or postpone the Games now. Besides, international travel will ensure Ziki's spread regardless. As a follower of athletics, I am looking forward to the Games and although Brazil have struggled, I am sure they will pull it off.

Anyway, it's only a few people who are into self publicising themselves with this letter, and "doctor" does not necessarily mean a medically qualified doctor. For example, the first two of the letters authors are lawyers and not doctors. Could they be lining themselves up for some lucrative "I told you so" legal actions? It would not be the first time that lawyers see the chance to make a a tonne of cash, even if no case is proven or even brought.

To be honest, if Russia are allowed to compete, chances are the chemicals pumped into their athletes will sterilise and kill the mosquito anyway.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 06:52 AM
link   
You all seem only to be concerned about pregnant women going to the games. The problem is that Zika can be spread through sexual intercourse. This is what scares me about the olympics, how many athletes will come home and transmit to others? How many of those will result in pregnancy? Even without considering that, it could still spread quickly and eventually infect pregnant women in many countries.

It's more than just pregnant women suffering, you're talking about babies who will be suffering for life as a result.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Brazil is a part of the Bric's bank owned by our enemies Brazil, Russia, Indonesia, and China. Now why would we use scare tactics over Zika to hurt Brazil's economy?

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
Brazil is a part of the Bric's bank owned by our enemies Brazil, Russia, Indonesia, and China. Now why would we use scare tactics over Zika to hurt Brazil's economy?

It's going to hurt everyone's economy when there's a global outbreak after the Olympics. The U.S. government has already asked for $1.5 billion to stop/prevent/address it...although the last I checked they had gotten $600 million or so.

I think canceling the Olympics is the best way to nip most of the scaremongering coming in the near future in the bud. And save billions of dollars globally.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Im not saying that I would go, or disagree with cancelling. But, Ive also lived through several fear mongering BS scares already and think there could be other motives.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Im not saying that I would go, or disagree with cancelling. But, Ive also lived through several fear mongering BS scares already and think there could be other motives.

Oh, definitely other motives...all the money to be made when there's a global outbreak is significant motive.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This will spread like wildfire in the Olympic village when the athletes start having sex with each other.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Good reply:
Swine Flu - 3 years as many as 579,000 people could have been killed by the disease
Zika Virus - 1 year and WHO counts the possible deaths as 3

So let the WHO and the CDC do what they do best....

That is 3 deaths in Brazil. The total is actually 17. It has not been a full year. I am guessing some babies born with complications from it may soon add to toat total.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Preparing the Bid for the 2016 Olympics required a report on how Brazil was to finance the event. In the Finance section of the Candidature File, Brazil reports they allocated USD $240 billon for the Olympics. These funds are from the PAC. The PAC has provided much needed infrastructure, ecological conversation, educational developments, and social programs for the poor among other positive developments. Before the bid was granted, the government had “allocated” funds away from a very successful project that had positive impacts for Brazilians. The Federal, State and City governments guarantee the following: (1) finance and fund the OCOG (Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games) and non-OCOG budget, (2) cover any potential economic shortfalls of the OCOG, and (3) cover refunds of IOC (International Olympic Committee) advance payments or other IOC contributions to the OCOG.[25] To most successful use funding it is suggested:

The Rio 2016 Olympic Committee’s adherence to the sustainability concept, coupled with the proven public partnership concept will decrease the risk of marginal cost. Alternative spending on education and other public infrastructure is just another possible destination for funding, but economic forecasts hope that such change will also be brought about by the games.[26]

Before Brazil was granted the Olympics, the government had to guarantee financial backing. If the games are over budget, don’t received expected financial outcomes, or have unexpected financial burdens, the Brazilian government has complete fiduciary responsibility.

sevenpillarsinstitute.org...

brazil has invested alot of money into these games and cancelling could very well destroy it's economy...
but like someone already mentioned... Brazil is part of the BRICs nations, so I have a feeling that their encomy falling into chaos would make some western bankers rather happy.

as far as I am concerned, if the world wants olymics, then they should find a fairer way to finance them. too many countries have been harmed by hosting them.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The Olympics could get quite ugly this summer.

It's not just what this thread is about, it's also the disgustingly dirty, human waste filled water athletes will be competing in and along with the civil unrest and threat of serious crime to tourists, never mind the athletes.

A few athletes have already been mugged at gun point while down there training.

edit on 28-5-2016 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
SPAM REMOVED BY ADMIN
edit on Jun 17th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:05 AM
link   
may as well cancel life, that way there is nothing to be scared of

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
It's just a little Virus, what's the big deal

posted on Jun, 3 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
SPAM REMOVED BY ADMIN
edit on Jun 17th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

yes millions will get infected with zika virus in rio and infect others when they begin to have sex back home in their countries then all the babies will get aborted and the global NWO people will be very happy to reduce the worlds population it all planned

posted on Jun, 24 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Nothing to worry about.

The doping that is not on the list this year will prevent any infection.

join