It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump tells California 'there is no drought'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump told California voters Friday that he can solve their water crisis, declaring, "There is no drought."

Speaking at a rally in Fresno, Calif., Trump accused state officials of denying water to Central Valley farmers so they can send it out to sea "to protect a certain kind of three-inch fish."

"We're going to solve your water problem. You have a water problem that is so insane. It is so ridiculous where they're taking the water and shoving it out to sea," Trump said at a rally that drew thousands.

"There is no drought"

"You have a water problem that is so insane"

Can someone explain how that's not a contradiction?

How can Trump be promising to change California's internal management issues? The president cannot do that unilaterally, right? An executive order has to apply to the entire federal government, not just one state, correct?

"We're going to solve your water problem."

Who is the "we" he's referring to? Does Trump seriously think he's going to get any support from the Congress and the Senate on anything if he's president?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

Presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump told California voters Friday that he can solve their water crisis, declaring, "There is no drought."

Speaking at a rally in Fresno, Calif., Trump accused state officials of denying water to Central Valley farmers so they can send it out to sea "to protect a certain kind of three-inch fish."

"We're going to solve your water problem. You have a water problem that is so insane. It is so ridiculous where they're taking the water and shoving it out to sea," Trump said at a rally that drew thousands.

"There is no drought"

"You have a water problem that is so insane"

Can someone explain how that's not a contradiction?

That is kinda crazy.

How many states get their water from the Colorado River?

Maybe he wants to dam the river at the border, so Mexico gets no water.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Why dont you ask me. I live in California

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Ok, go for it! What's your opinion?

a reply to: visitedbythem

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Why dont you ask me. I live in California

OK, tell me.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Writing this on my phone so can't really elaborate.... or provide links.... but I do want to state that I say this as a nature/animal defender....

I've heard about/read about so many stories over the years which revolve around limiting irrigation and water sources because some obscure fish is deemed "endangered." I assure you that I do NOT like causing harm to animals but it is true that California has some hyper-protective acts that cause real harm to the people living out there under the often false pretense that species will become extinct.

I could be wrong but my assumption is that Trump was saying that we need to keep water flowing to farmers and citizens first while keeping an eye on the fishes.

Again, I'm on a phone at the moment so I can't provide links/sources at the moment so I'm not posting from a position of strength (so feel free to take this with a grain or two of salt).

I'll just say that I essentially understand that the water problem out west IS, at least in part, manufactured.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
We are above average rainfall this year. It has rained alot this year and often. It rained very hard last week. A couple months ago it rained so hard (harder then Ive seen in yerars) that the roof partially collapsed at the steelmill I work in, and poured in water like a waterfall. Guys running everywhere grabbing pallets of kitty litter to make berms. Shutting off machinery, and power so as to avoid electrocution. We have out own substation fed with 73,000 volts, with stepdown transformers everywhere on 15 plus acres. The plant has many bays,with large bridge cranes, and the ceilings are at least 35-40 feet up. The rain hit so hard that dust from the ceilings was dislodged and filled the plant like a dirty cloud. Ive worked there 35 years and never seen that before.
I live on .26 of an acre lot. I have 9 raised bed organic vegetable gardens. I have only watered a few times this year, and am picking ripe tomatos, zukes, cukes, berries, artichokes peas and beans. Im hearing from friends that Lake Tahoe water level is very high now. Ive seen them flow rivers with damns upstrean in my city

+6 more 
posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So I guess that if someone other than Trump mentioned that our corrupt government was doing something that impacted the people he would be lauded; however because TRUMP said it, it must be wrong.....

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Southern california is a damn dessert. In 1064 or 1965 my family hopped in the car and we went way down deep into Mexico via hiway 99. I saw dessert and tumbleweeds for a real long distance. Now tht is all irrigated. Maybe some of it shouldnt be

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Looks pretty droughty but El Nino helped.

But doesn't most of California's water supply come from snow melt?

The less-good news: California’s drought ain’t over yet. Many of the smaller reservoirs in the south are still below half capacity, and the Sierra snowpack is only about 70 percent of average (as measured since 2003), according to NOAA’s SNODAS model.

ww2.kqed.org...

edit on 5/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/28/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
A certain kind of three inch fish that lives in the sea yet needs fresh water....Hmmmm. Do elaborate Donald.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
It does during the summer. Mine hasnt so far. Im between San Francisco and Sacramento. It will rain more too

+2 more 
posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Yeah. Hopefully you're right. El Nino is waning though.

Too many people and too much agriculture in a region prone to drought.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
A certain kind of three inch fish that lives in the sea yet needs fresh water....Hmmmm. Do elaborate Donald.

Delta Smelt. We have 1000 miles of waterways here that lead out to the ocean. There nare sloughs, chanels, rivers and waterways all over here. There was once a slough right around my house, probably in the 40s or 50s. I found crawdad shells under my house. There is a river a mile from here now

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage Correct, too many people and too much ag in southern Cali. Southern California needs to back off some of the ag for sure

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Los Angeles water comes from the Colorado River (Hoover/Boulder Dam) and Colorado aqueducts.

Heavy rains don't mean sustainable water.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I've lived here for over 40 years. California is always in a damn drought. We're in drought conditions 4 out of ever 5 years with usually 1 good year where it rains more. We just had one of those this year. It was nice. More rain and more snow pack. Good stuff. But one good season of rain doesn't make up for the continued drought over decades.

But the real problem isn't just the lack of rain and snow. Because of all the farming and outdated farming methods used, to offset that lack of rain/snow water we've been tapping our ground reserves. Also, what farmers like to use around here is something called "flood irrigation". Meaning they literally flood giant sections of land for their farming. Unbelievable amounts of water. Well, as you can imagine you do this decade after decade with only the occasional good rainy season and after a while you've used up the ground reserves and you're still just getting that one good rainy year out of five.

This is our real problem and it's a big one because you just can't put back all that water with a heavy rain now and then. We've been coasting off all that ground water for a long time and now it's getting low and all we can rely on is the next rain and snow with nothing else to offset any losses.

There are some solutions though. Better farming methods for one would help a lot. Farming gets 75% of the water used here. Stop bottling of water too would help. It's not a massive amount but it would help. Another would be for the Gov. here to stop spending money on 65 billion dollar bullet trains and build some damn water planning infrastructure projects. We had a desalination plant built years ago that was never used and just left till now it's no longer useful and would "cost too much to repair". BS.

That's it without getting too damn long on a post.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Amazing how people hear this crap and interpret what they want to believe. Hes wrong alot and no amount of explaining can change that.

link   
a reply to: Profusion

He is off his rocker. And such an insult to people that live there. But, in general, his idiocy just gets worse. I have posted once that I thought he had some symptoms of early alzheimers. That is serious, I am not saying it to be mean. I saw my grandmother go through it and die from it.

link   

originally posted by: Phage

Snow melt from where..The Rockies.?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join