It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana makes targeting cops a ‘hate crime’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Governor of Louisiana signed the controversial bill known as "#BlueLivesMatter" into law today.

The new law adds police, firefighters, and emergency personnel into the hate crime laws.

This is the first law like this in the U.S.

Could trigger more states to follow (as long as there's no court challenges).

Louisiana makes targeting cops a ‘hate crime’

Louisiana’s governor signed a first-of-its-kind bill Thursday afternoon that makes it a hate crime to target police officers and first responders.

Called the “Blue Lives Matter” bill, the measure expands the state’s hate crime law to include law enforcement officers, firefighters and other emergency medical services personnel.

“The overarching message is that hate crimes will not be tolerated in Louisiana,” Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards told FoxNews.com in a written statement. He added that he has “great respect” for the work that law enforcement officers do and the daily risks they take.

edit on May-27-2016 by xuenchen because: everyting matters

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Contrary to popular belief by most on here, blue lives, as well as black lives, matter. I don't dare say all lives matter because I don't want the snowflakes to have to find their safe space.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This one will certainly be abused. Sad to see government becoming like the unseen part of communist China. Targeting ? There are already harsh penalties for assault, and assaulting cops is usually felony material already. 5 to10 years prison time. now 20? Smack a cop serve 20 years. The death penalty will follow sooner or later. Figures coming from a democrat governor since they are getting closer to communist China every day. (some republicans as well)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
They should make this federal. It's a problem all over the country.

Who in their right mind assaults paramedics, EMTs, and firemen? It happens all the time.

Nuts.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
This one will certainly be abused. Sad to see government becoming like the unseen part of communist China. Targeting ? There are already harsh penalties for assault, and assaulting cops is usually felony material already. 5 to10 years prison time. now 20? Smack a cop serve 20 years. The death penalty will follow sooner or later. Figures coming from a democrat governor since they are getting closer to communist China every day. (some republicans as well)

Legislators must make new laws to support the fallacy that their positions mean something. Otherwise, how they going to get paid?

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That's handy. Would make a useful tool if the 'dissidents' decide to one day step out of line.

Though, I'm sure that angle wasn't even a factor...

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I always thought the concept of "hate speech" and "hate crimes" to be ludicrous, and completely contrary to the virtue of "free speech" that the west allegedly values so greatly.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have a problem with these redundant laws.

It is already against the law to assault, target, kill, harm anyone.

Sorry. Even though I support police, fire fighters, EMT's, I don't like this.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Who and what defines "targeting" and "hate"?

Too many laws. This one' alterior motive is the targeting of you and me and peaceful protesting, wait and see.

When do we get protected from being targeted? When we are being watched 24/7, we are being targeted.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Aren't the penalties for targeting cops stiff enough? Does this really need to be a hate crime too?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Aren't the penalties for targeting cops stiff enough? Does this really need to be a hate crime too?

Having been assaulted three times during my career my answer to that is "NO".
edit on 5/27/2016 by Restricted because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

To your second question:

Short answer? No.

Long answer? No.
edit on 5/27/2016 by atomish because: Clarification

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Politicians don't tackle real problems anymore. Making laws such as this one are done to get people to forget how useless most politicians are.

Should there be stiffer penalties when an officer kills an unarmed person?

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

'Hate' crime laws are a terrible idea in the first place. Making more laws and more protected classes of people just exacerbates and already poor policy decision.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I particularly like when they get disrespected, beat the "perp" then claim assault on a LEO, and resisting arrest.

This should add icing on the cake.

The mafia would blush at the extortion tactics being used by law enforcement these days.

It is statistically less dangerous than gardening.

For profit law enforcement needs shut the f down, before we are carted into a gd gas chamber.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
The dogs of those in power (law enforcement) will continue to be elevated and praised well above those they claim to serve- that is the only way they will continue to turn a blind eye to what they're doing and obey the hand that feeds.

The general public is getting less content year by year as the life is slowly squeezed from us from above, and law enforcement is the only thing currently keeping it from coming apart at the seams.

Poor dogs, they'll never see it coming.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Well if we're in the business of making special cases and classes of criminals, let's treat crimes committed by police and elected officials MORE grievously than crimes of mere citizens.

It makes perfect sense, punish the "trusted class"....but no, we're ruled by flag-waving idiots who's self-righteousness gives them the moral imperative to act in an amoral way.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Yeah, because that's what the police need: more special treatment. I had a roommate that got charged with assault on an officer once for closing her front door, and the officer quickly put his hand in the way of the door as it was shutting. She probably should have been charged with a hate-crime instead... [/sarcasm]

new topics

top topics

join