It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Called After Transphobic Preacher Trolls Teens Outside High School

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: shooterbrody

Where I'm at, schools are definitely not public property. Being owned by the state or county does not make something "public property."

sidewalks are generally public property

While I think the person in the video is an idiot; idiots have the same right to free speech as anyone else.

The United States Constitution explicitly provides for 'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances' in the First Amendment.

Common constraints on the right to assemble are a class of time, place and manner regulations. A second type of constraint is the requirement to obtain a permit, where coordination may be needed to ensure public safety.

Sidewalks on privately owned property are privately owned property.

no always true
sidewalks near roads are usually on easements which are public property

I reread my comment. I didn't see the word "always" in it but perhaps I missed it.

The point being made is that a sidewalk on private property is, likely, part of the property. And it would behoove one to behave with that in mind. Especially when one is told that it's still on private property.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

You are correct. Speaking, picketing, handing out leaflets and such are generally protected forms of free speech on sidewalks, even in front of public schools and an individual (or even a small group) wouldn't require a permit to do so. In fact, it's perfectly legal to conduct a march on a sidewalk within reason.

However there are many ways to run afoul of the law and have your speech not protected:

Obstructing pedestrians, disrupting traffic, using profanity and other lewd behavior, excessive noise (particularly using a PA system or megaphone), blocking egress, causing alarm/inducing panic, inciting violence, etc can and often do result in disorderly conduct charges.

Also there are considerations for harassment, threatening/aggressive behavior/intimidation and the others I'm surely forgetting. Certain attempts at engagement with individuals can quickly cross the threshold into harassment.

She's clearly skirting some of these narrowly by her choice in methods. Furthermore, all sidewalks are not public and that bus loading/unloading area appears to be a drive on the school property. The cop was actually pretty on point with what he said to her. The screaming/yelling, particularly at kids as she's following them as well as crossing onto school property are all things that could result in her speech being duly unprotected.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If she wasn't simply crazy, or was a man...or a man in a dress, there'd be uproar that a stranger was filming youngsters at a school. It's fine to be bible-thumping and threatening hellfire and damnation and another thing altogether for someone to film youths.

There could have been a legal infraction on that basis alone. US laws could be different, but for most places, people near schools with camera equipment would be moved on as fast as the police could get there.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's that crazy lady from The Mist!

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

such well behaved kids, really, back when I was in school, I think she wouldn't have been treated so kindly, there would have been a group of kids around her harassing her, shouting back.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

i dunno, when i used to see displays like this (college late 80's) i always felt pity. no one ever harassed them, thankfully, they were pretty much ignored.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

“You watch too much MTV, gangster music, and you live for the devil. Some of you even smoke pot! It’s time to repent!”

Is she stuck in the late 80's, early 90's?

Judging by that hair cut I would say yes and I only made it 25 seconds into the video I just couldn't bring myself to watch her spewing nonsense for another 9 minutes.

posted on May, 27 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   

edit on 27-5-2016 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 12:37 AM
link   
And Trump just got another 50,000 votes.

Oh wait. Wrong thread.

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Police Called After Transphobic Preacher Trolls Teens Outside High School

Just more evidence that no one ever deliberately harms others unless they are infected with some strain of 'belief'!
And no book in history is more (blasphemously) used to validate the vain ignorant hatefulness of the 'believers'!
If you trimmed all the absolute CRAP from the bible, there MIGHT be ten pages left!

posted on May, 28 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

“You watch too much MTV, gangster music, and you live for the devil. Some of you even smoke pot! It’s time to repent!”

Is she stuck in the late 80's, early 90's?

1890's you mean. What a total fruitcake she is.

posted on May, 29 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   
So you're saying this is a representation of the majority of ATS members? I feel like it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join