It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump and the Spike in Anti-Muslim Hate Crimes in the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Donald Trump and the Spike in Anti-Muslim Hate Crimes in the U.S.

Several weeks ago, in Washington, D.C., a Muslim woman was called “a worthless piece of Muslim trash” and a “terrorist” by a fellow Starbucks customer and, presumably, American citizen. After pouring something on the Muslim woman, the assaulter told her victim that she was planning on voting for Donald Trump, who would send Muslims “back to where you come from.” As horrific as this incident was, it was not unique. According to a new study from the Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at Georgetown University, anti-Muslim hate crimes increased in 2015, coinciding with attacks in Paris and San Bernardino, California, and the rise of Donald Trump, the presumptive GOP nominee for president who has called for a ban on Muslims entering the United States.

The larger context for anti-Muslim hate crimes remains the atmosphere after the 9/11 attacks. Prior to 9/11, there were somewhere between 20 and 30 annual hate crimes committed against Muslims. Since that time, the number has increased to more than 100 annually. But 2015 was especially bad. Trump entered the race for the presidency in June. In November, Paris was attacked. In early December, San Bernardino was attacked. And several days later, Trump announced his Muslim ban proposal.

It was during December that the study saw a huge spike, recording 53 separate attacks on Muslims during this month, nearly one-third of the total in the entire year. To discuss these findings, I spoke by phone with Engy Abdelkader, the author of the report and a lawyer. “There are increasing threats of anti-Muslim violence,” she told me. “We saw this in 2015, which was perhaps the worst year in this regard since Sept. 11.” Abdelkader was careful to say that her study—based on news reports—may not be completely comprehensive, in part because some acts do not get reported. But by her count, there were 174 reported incidents in 2015, including 12 murders.

As you can see, with the rise of Donald Trump we are seeing a rise in anti-Muslim hate crimes. It has gotten to extreme levels. 174 incidents in 2015! Why are we letting Trump dictate that it is ok to be racist? Sure everyone likes to say, "well how do you know he's racist?" Ok forget that. Regardless if that man is racist or not, he is inspiring quite a few people who ARE racist to act more openly.

This is the USA. We practice freedom of religion here. It's in the damn 1st Amendment. And freedom means ALL religions. Not just the ones you agree with. If a muslim is going to be targeted and arrested, he needs to break the law first. He is also afforded the same basic rights. Just like everyone else.

Go on. Tell me this isn't Trump's fault.

Abdelkader realizes how hard it is to pin specific acts on Trump or any other particular person or event (and the San Bernardino attacks and Trump’s rhetoric in response are especially difficult to separate), but the study does note that at least three of the chronicled incidents—in addition to the one in Washington, D.C.—were committed by avowed Trump supporters. Muslim leaders and victims of crime time and again, Abdelkader told me, relayed a strong perception that they were facing increased threats because of the heightened political atmosphere brought about by many of the Republican candidates, but “with specific references to Mr. Trump.” Whether Trump’s rhetoric is specifically causing a high number of the crimes, he is at the very least causing unease and fear in a large number of American citizens—citizens who have become even more vulnerable in the post-9/11 era.

Though it's never his fault right? Only the VERY things anti-Trump people have been yelling and screaming would happen have happened and it still isn't his fault right?

Oh yeah, that's right this article is a hit piece against trump and will just result in 100,000 more votes for him right? God forbid his supporters ever took any accountability...
edit on 26-5-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+62 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's fun watching the left squirm.

Trump has yet to publicly say anything anti-Muslim. He simply believes in stricter screening for immigrants whether they come from a muslin country or any other country... Funny actually, the majority of voting Americans agree with him!

+21 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: C8H10N4O2
Trump has yet to publicly say anything anti-Muslim. He simply believes in stricter screening for immigrants whether they come from a muslin country or any other country... Funny actually, the majority of voting Americans agree with him!

Nothing except for wanting to ban admittance of Muslims into the country? That isn't anti-Muslim in your book? Lol no wonder you guys can't see anything wrong with this picture...

+46 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

174 assholes OH MY GAWD EXTREME LEVELS!

There were more than 174 rioters just the other night being assholes under the liberal idealogy, so what?
Damn, you're a #ing whiner, and this article is ridiculous . 174 HATE crimes you don't say? Shake my head.

+33 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

This is very funny to me. How can anyone claim that one mans words have a bigger impact than not one, but TWO terrorist attacks.
You are really, really reaching.

Whats causing a rise in Muslim Hate Crime
A) Terrorist Attack in Paris
B) Terrorist attack in California
or
C) Donald Trump proposing a halt on Muslim Immigration.

Before you answer, keep in mind that in the article, it claims the last big spike in these types of crimes came after what...
You guessed it.
A terrorist attack.

+13 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Oh so a spike in hate crimes to a specific religion isn't something to get alarmed about? I guess we should just continue whining about which bathrooms people are using instead huh?

+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

You missed this part didn't you?

Abdelkader realizes how hard it is to pin specific acts on Trump or any other particular person or event (and the San Bernardino attacks and Trump’s rhetoric in response are especially difficult to separate), but the study does note that at least three of the chronicled incidents—in addition to the one in Washington, D.C.—were committed by avowed Trump supporters. Muslim leaders and victims of crime time and again, Abdelkader told me, relayed a strong perception that they were facing increased threats because of the heightened political atmosphere brought about by many of the Republican candidates, but “with specific references to Mr. Trump.” Whether Trump’s rhetoric is specifically causing a high number of the crimes, he is at the very least causing unease and fear in a large number of American citizens—citizens who have become even more vulnerable in the post-9/11 era.

+32 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Pfft... a hundred hate crimes a year in a nation of 300 million people? Sweden is a country of 9 million people and the Muslims here could pull off that number in a matter of weeks, they're in a low intensity conflict with the state and Swedes specifically and that's how the youth define it.. I would consider those attacks "hate crimes". Of course, the very idea of hate crimes is vapid leftist garbage..

+31 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Nothing except for wanting to ban admittance of Muslims into the country? That isn't anti-Muslim in your book? Lol no wonder you guys can't see anything wrong with this picture...

Temporary ban until a better vetting system can be put into place.

Do you really put the non-existent rights of non US citizens before the rights and lively hood of US citizens???

Furthermore, why should Muslims be admitted anyway? Does the US have a guarantee of admittance to any particular religion? Nationality?

What he is proposing is 100% constitutional, and again is backed by the majority of voting US citizens.

edit on 26-5-2016 by C8H10N4O2 because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I don't even give a # about that issue. The poster above is right, hate crimes are in direct correlation to terrorist attacks, you know the kind where people get killed.

+6 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Can I offer you a step stool so you can have an easier time grasping at those straws?

+4 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Irrelevant! It still completely and 100% violates not only the spirit of freedom of religion but also the actual 1st Amendment.

Do you really put the non-existent rights of non US citizens before the rights and lively hood of US citizens???

Do you really put fears over rationality and the principles this country was founded on? Do me a favor and look up the total number of people killed in terrorist attacks since 9/11 in the United States. I doubt you will though.

Furthermore, why should Muslims be admitted anyway? Does the US have a guarantee of admittance to any particular religion? Nationality?

Yes. The 1st Amendment...

What he is proposing is 100% constitutional, and again is backed by the majority of voting US citizens.

You failed Social Studies didn't you?

+20 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Obama has set race relations back 40+ years in his presidency and you are just now whining?

You anti Trump people are really reaching. People of all races and backgrounds are supporting Trump. There are far, far more anti Trump people causing violence than pro Trump people. Why don't you mention the other side?

+22 more 
link   

Why are we letting Trump dictate that it is ok to be racist?

Is Islam a race now?

I think this has a lot less to do with Trump and more to do with watching the immigrants destroy Europe. That and just maybe all the terrorist attacks occurring everywhere around the world, the vast majority of which are perpetrated by muslims.

I'd much rather be a muslim living under a Trump presidency than anyone living in a muslim country.
edit on 2620160520161 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

I don't even give a # about that issue. The poster above is right, hate crimes are in direct correlation to terrorist attacks, you know the kind where people get killed.

This study is pointing out that there is a possibility for a strong correlation to Donald's rhetoric too.

+7 more 
link   

Consider the source.
The Slate is known for its left-leaning bias.
If you try hard enough, you kind find any information to support an agenda.

And ditto this:

originally posted by: o0oTOPCATo0o

This is very funny to me. How can anyone claim that one mans words have a bigger impact than not one, but TWO terrorist attacks.
You are really, really reaching.

Whats causing a rise in Muslim Hate Crime
A) Terrorist Attack in Paris
B) Terrorist attack in California
or
C) Donald Trump proposing a halt on Muslim Immigration.

Before you answer, keep in mind that in the article, it claims the last big spike in these types of crimes came after what...
You guessed it.
A terrorist attack.

edit on 5/26/16 by BlueAjah because: spelling

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Let it go man. These people will hate Muslims and justify by any means until the day they die.
Let their god or whatever sort them out.

posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Why are we letting Trump dictate that it is ok to be racist?

Is Islam a race now?

You know damn well what I mean. Stop with the silly semantics.

I think this has a lot less to do with Trump and more to do with watching the immigrants destroy Europe. That and just maybe all the terrorist attacks occurring everywhere around the world, the vast majority of which are perpetrated by muslims.

Yeah that's why Trump supporters are the ones carrying out these attacks huh?

I'd much rather be a muslim living under a Trump presidency than anyone living in a muslim country.

Yeah because not standing in a fire but standing in a pan over that fire is SUCH a better situation.

+13 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Irrelevant! It still completely and 100% violates not only the spirit of freedom of religion but also the actual 1st Amendment.

Do you really put fears over rationality and the principles this country was founded on? Do me a favor and look up the total number of people killed in terrorist attacks since 9/11 in the United States. I doubt you will though.

Yes. The 1st Amendment...

You failed Social Studies didn't you?

I pity you!

The people who have NOT been admitted have NO constitutional rights. Your argument stinks

Mandella at work perhaps.
edit on 26-5-2016 by C8H10N4O2 because: horrible mispelling

+2 more 
posted on May, 26 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tsubaki

Let it go man. These people will hate Muslims and justify by any means until the day they die.
Let their god or whatever sort them out.

I just cannot believe that some of the very same people who whine about their rights being infringed including the 1st amendment are advocating doing the very same to other people. It's driving me up a wall.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join