It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would your country do if....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
ATS has members all over the world. What would your country do if you had someone from your country running for President/Chancellor/Leader and at their rally's people from another country waved their country's flag and protested the event? In your own country.

Scenarios...
So France has someone running for the top office, and at a city in France there is a mob of people from Spain protesting against him waving the Spanish flag.

Brazil has someone running for the top office, and at their rallies people from Colombia setup protests and wave the Colombian flag.

Is there even a precedent for this? It sounds so ludicrous! Yet it's happening here in the USA.

Mexican Flag Waving Mob Attacks Police, Horses outside of Trump Rally

And it's not an isolated incident.

How would this go over in other countries?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

If you are peaceably protesting you can waive whatever the hell flag you want. As soon as you turn violent you should be arrested and charged.

edit on 25-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer becasue he left it in the ladies room

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

How about we do a more direct comparison. Americans illegally enter Mexico and pull the same stunt.

I'm pretty sure we all known how the Federales would treat those unwelcome guests.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Probably: "Get those people some Poutine and a beer, they seem cranky."...

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:32 AM
link   

1) Flags of all kinds are free speech, so is burning them. Protest itself is free speech.

2) Your scenario is absurd because European countries pretty much have open borders with other European countries so there would be no 'illegal' problem for a leader to pander on about.

3) How should people protest a potential President that invokes images of mass deportation including 'anchor babies' that are supposed to be protected by the Constitution?

People have a right to protest, they don't have the right to be violent... let's not confuse the two yeah?

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
1) Flags of all kinds are free speech, so is burning them. Protest itself is free speech.

Our free speech laws are much stronger in this regard than European countries where it is illegal to burn flags.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Well any country with freedom of speech (read: most if not all of the 1st world) would let this slide because it is 100% legal. Don't like it? Tough #.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Don't confuse them more, that's not nice.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Well any country with freedom of speech (read: most if not all of the 1st world) would let this slide because it is 100% legal. Don't like it? Tough #.

Most European countries have laws that make flag desecration illegal.

We are very unique in the developed world with a more liberal free speech policy.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   
here people are too drunk to walk let alone wave stuff around

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Don't confuse them more, that's not nice.

Hah. I personally think the European laws are oppressive. While I personally do not like to see people burning the American flag I think if they want to act like assholes they should be allowed to.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Most European countries have laws that make flag desecration illegal.

We are very unique in the developed world with a more liberal free speech policy.

No we aren't. Did you actually read most of the accounts of different countries there? There are quite a few countries that allow flag desecration.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Let me just say that I don't support trump, but I know what they're going to do in response to all this bull# coming from the left, they are going to vote trump in, and you know when that occurs, I admit, I will take some joy out of watching my fellow Liberal ATSers have mental meltdowns, of course in good taste, maybe in eight years we will all have a laugh about this nonsense.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

ATS has members all over the world. What would your country do if you had someone from your country running for President/Chancellor/Leader and at their rally's people from another country waved their country's flag and protested the event? In your own country.

If you think your country is sacred - and your patriotism is absolutely the most important thing ever - then you would ask us a question just like this

Tell me - should people have protested Hitler? Stalin? Franco? Mussolini? Qaddafi? Assad? Mao?

Some of those situations past a certain point in time were not something you could protest. Too late is too late

If you love your country - stand up for her. That means looking her straight in the eyes and calling her out on occasion

And if you are from somewhere else? You might want to consider that those people waving foreign flags while they protest are better at fighting for this countries basic freedoms than you are

Think about it - what is it they're actually saying?
edit on 5/25/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I would not do anything, this is a free country and people are free to choose to wave whatever flag they wish as long as they do so in a peaceable manner.

As to a Mexican mob attacking Police outside a Trump rally, well that just not called for, but lets face it it might never have happened should the xenophobic racist moronic fool not decided to call them drug dealers and rapists.

www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 25-5-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now you're gonna confuse and trigger them. I agree though I do think there are times when it's warranted.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Most of the major countries; Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austrian, Belgium, Denmark and Finland all have laws against flag desecration and some even have laws against disrupting the national anthem.

edit on 25-5-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer becasue he left it in the ladies room

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Now you're gonna confuse and trigger them. I agree though I do think there are times when it's warranted.

Well, if they get confused over the facts then there is not much I can do to help them. We should be celebrating our ability to have free speech.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Most of the major countries; Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austrian, Belgium, Denmark and Finland all have laws against flag desecration and some even have laws against disrupting the national anthem.

Well France doesn't allow you to desecrate other country flags, but their flag is fair game.

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   

We should be more like France.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join