It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligence can no longer be measured

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: zinc12

originally posted by: intrptr

a reply to: intrptr

Was there ever a person who had a very low IQ who turned out to be extremely wise ?

Wisdom is more about being given to know the right thing to do in the moment. IQ is a measure of "higher" learning as set forth by "civilization" . Math, physics, Engineering have more to do with building structures, roads, guns, satellites, etc., something wise men have little to do with.

So some of the wise philosophers of the past might have actually scored low in an IQ test if they sat one, Plato, Aristotle low IQ perhaps?

Higher IQ is a function of how educated you are, right? In other words a homesteader from a hundred years ago was taught to hunt fish, trap game, skin and gut an animal, grow food, build shelter, make fire, clothing, weapons, tools, etc, etc.

A Harvard Nobel prize winner would die in that environment, how stupid he would look to that way back mountain man?

And a modern day higher education would seem foolish to him as well.

To answer your question, Aristotle was highly educated in his time, he still thought the sun went around the earth though, didn't he? Socrates was more concerned with waking people up from their doldrum educated lives to real higher learning, discarding the teaching of the state.

Thats why they wanted him dead.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: zinc12

What does intelligence have to do with getting a degree anyways? I know plenty of people with degrees that aren't that smart but their parents had money and they could study full time without worrying about paying bills.

I also know that emotional intelligence can get you a lot farther in social situations that IQ. If you can read people you can sell yourself but if you are only good at regurgitating knowledge it won't get you that far in social situations. Life is mainly social situation.

Like I said University's invent these degrees , that's why you know plenty people with degrees who are not smart.

Being sensitive/emotional wont matter if you cant actually do the job, I mean unless its a job that doesn't require intelligence.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I see so now you think a Harvard Nobel prize winner might struggle to do basic things like fish, hunt etc...I think not

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   

What degrees are they inventing exactly? As for a Harvard Nobel prize winner being able to hunt and fish without struggling through a learning curve I would disagree with you. I know a few people with PHDs that would be up the creek if the grid were to go down.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I love stupid people. Especially ones that draw to an inside straight or pray for that flush on the river.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
For those wanting sources , here you go...

LOOK AROUND YOU.

Now , there is your source . And it goes for athletics, job skills....Ya name it.

edit on 5/23/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Higher IQ is a function of how educated you are, right? In other words a homesteader from a hundred years ago was taught to hunt fish, trap game, skin and gut an animal, grow food, build shelter, make fire, clothing, weapons, tools, etc, etc.

A Harvard Nobel prize winner would die in that environment, how stupid he would look to that way back mountain man?

Considering that IQ is a measure of problem-solving skills and ability to understand logic. If you had both of these people being trained for the same purposes (e.g. building), which one do you expect to build a better shelter? The one who sucks at math, or simply memorizes formulas? Or is it the one who excels at math and understands its principles based on its logic rather than strict memorization?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I think I understand the point of your rant, but could you offer some specifics for discussion?
Thanks.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

its common sense that allows one to survive in the wild(un populated off grid) and general endurance and strength and preparedness.

in the general populated grid areas it takes,perception, general people skills , and knowledge of local resources to survive.

everything else either falls under these categories or is and extra that will only boost one of those features up.

we should all strive to attain both skill sets

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
IDK man. If someone is pissing into the wind they're damn stupid. I think that's quantifiable.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

If they were passing out ribbons for stupid, mine would be blue, have the words "First Place" on it.

The difference is I don't claim to be something I'm not.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Describe relative positions of ovals originating from a real algebraic curve and as limit cycles of a polynomial vector field on the plan

-YEAH, thats what I thought smart guy

Perhaps only smart to you?

Didn't you notice the
joke symbol Mr.McMeanypantsburnerAccountdude?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

" ... has excellent crayon eating skills".

I feel ya!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Welllllllllllllll . . . as my profs were want to say . . .

IQ = whatever IQ tests measure.

LOL.

There's now considered to be 7 forms of IQ. I don't think I can remember them all off the top of my head . . . let me see . . .

1. Linguistic IQ

2. Logical-Mathematical IQ

3. Musical IQ

4. Body--Kinesthetic IQ . . . as with athletes and dancers.

5. Emotional IQ--interpersonal, relationships, empathy, emotional expression etc.

6. Intrapersonal--alert to their own inner feelings etc.

7. Spatial--3D spacial perceptiveness, manipulation, etc. e.g. architects.

Traditional IQ tests are ~30% or so vocabulary + some math & logic + some reading comprehension etc.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Intelligence could never be accurately measured in the first place. Complaining because flawed tests are now being ignored isn't very "smart", wouldn't you agree? That's like complaining because palm reading or reading the constellations are no longer considered accurate ways to engage in life planning.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnthePhilistine

It is the definition of intelligence that may be changing. I would like to add, that IQ testing has always been a flawed measure of intelligence when used for adults.

Has there ever been a person who scored high in an IQ test that was actually unintelligent?

Has there ever been a person who scored very low who actually turned out to be a genius ?

Oh yes, I'm too dumb to give you any citations on the subject, but...... have you ever observed that stupid that comes from "IQ 142 Bro come at me"?

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnthePhilistine

Geniuses often make big stupid mistakes . . .

because

they assume that they are geniuses about everything. No one is.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

or is one that does so only measureing wind resistance using there own?

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Contrary to popular opinion brilliant minds do NOT go to university. They're too smart to be locked into established ways of thinking. They can think outside the box n see the bigger picture.

On another note. I agree that science which is total scam. Use to call them dumb. But as were discovering that science is a big scam we realize not much they say is accurate including who they call dumb.

posted on May, 24 2016 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There are different types, and each one is appropriate given different circumstances.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join