It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Basil for Stress Reduction, Inner Calm and Overall Health

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hello there folks,
I really want to share with everyone an herb known as Tulsi or Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum), not to be confused with Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilcum).
I was introduced to the tea several years ago and have just know started drinking it again.
When I first started drinking it, it was to replace coffee or caffeinated tea early in the morning. I needed a lift without taking any sort of stimulate. Eventually, I started taking the herb in capsule form for the morning boost I needed. It gives you a calm, centered, clear energy without any jitters, in my personal experience.

Sometimes referred to as "The Queen of Herbs'', Tulsi was renamed Holy Basil as told of Here.

Also known as Tusli or "The Incomparable One'', Holy Basil is one of the most sacred plants in India. In Hindu mythology, Tulsi symbolizes the goddess Lakshmi, the wife of Vishnu, who is one of the religions most important deities. The herb has been valued for centuries because of it's benefits for the mind, body spirit.
Source

Goddess Lakshmi means good luck to the Hindus. Perhaps attaining and sustaining a calm and peaceful state from drinking Tulsi tea can bring one luck?

Tulsi is what is known as an Adaptogen.
An adaptogen:

1. Produces a non specific response; for instance, an increase in the power of resistance against multiple (physical, chemical, biological stressors).
2. Has a normalizing influence, irrespective of the direction of change from physiological norms caused by the stressor. (This is the principle of a medicinal substance that is ''two-directional''.)
3. Is innocuous and does not influence normal body functions more than is required.

Studies have been done and I came across this article on, Tulsi-Ocimum Sanctum:A Herb For all Reasons, with 133 references to studies on the herb.

As with any herb, one has to be aware of possible side effects and interactions.
Contains Eugenol, which can be overdosed.
Blood thinning.
Hypoglycemia.
Not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers.
Should not be taken with NSAIDS, particularly acetaminophen products.
Please read links for more in depth information on Side Effects and Interactions.

I have been drinking a cup of Tulsi tea about once a day and have been feeling a difference in my overall stress levels. I'm am of the opinion that the tea is a safer way to enjoy the benefits of the herb, but I do know you can find it in supplement form.

The first link in the OP is also a brand that sells a boxed version of the tea that I really like. It combines rose and Tulsi..a very enchanting blend.

edit on 22-5-2016 by peppycat because: added content

edit on 22-5-2016 by peppycat because: sorting it out

edit on 22-5-2016 by peppycat because: just me checking on spelling and stuff

edit on 22-5-2016 by peppycat because: last edit

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Thank you, Peppycat.

I will try this, I quit drinking tea and coffee!

Nice thread once again!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12 Thank you, Quantum!
You quit coffee and tea! Its hard but I have done it in the past and Tulsi tea tastes really good!
Let me know what you think when you try it!😊

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

After I quit smoking quiting the tea and coffee was easy. I had to really want to quit my nicotine addiction. Took six tries. I have been nicotine free for a few years now.

I can't wait to try the Tulsi.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   

I saw your link where to order, I will check WholeFoods tomorrow. I will report back if they have it!

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12 I'd be surprised if Wholefoods didn't have it... there are different flavors to choose from... let me know which one you get or if you go for the straight Tulsi...which has a very pleasant flavor in itself.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
My beloved, he introduced me to Tulsi tea, and it is lovely and unique. He passed away this spring suddenly. He loved to make me tea, all kinds of herb teas, and Tulsi was from his native India, and he told me his grandmother would tell him how sacred it was.

thank you for sharing the info.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Galadriel My condolences on your loss. I imagine he left you with many blessings through his memory... may he rest in peace, sing and dance with the heavenly angels looking tenderly over you.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Galadriel

My friend, he is with your soul, the two of you will be one again. A sad song brings in a happy tune that the both of you share. Love and light...

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Holy basil does have some medicinal properties, but like medicines there can be side effects. People who have low blood sugar naturally can get a hypoglycemic event. Then there are intolerances and allergies to things. www.livestrong.com...

I can have a little basil, but too much causes some problems so I try not to eat too much with my hypoglycemia. I actually learned not to eat much about twenty years ago. A little does not bother me much at all, but I wouldn't push it

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Holy basil does have some medicinal properties, but like medicines there can be side effects. People who have low blood sugar naturally can get a hypoglycemic event. Then there are intolerances and allergies to things. www.livestrong.com...

I can have a little basil, but too much causes some problems so I try not to eat too much with my hypoglycemia. I actually learned not to eat much about twenty years ago. A little does not bother me much at all, but I wouldn't push it
Thanks for posting the allergy complications. I went to livestrong for the side effects and interactions links in my OP, but hadn't put up a link for allergies.
Thank you!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Michet Thanks for the post, I really don't know what a shill is, but it looks like the site you posted has a good variety of tea... mostly caffeinated, or all caffeinated with blends containing Tulsi.
I love a good cup of tea, but usually at some point after around five pm, I have to personally stop my caffeine intake and lately I have been drinking a cup of just Tulsa with the rose petal flavor in the evenings.
My next regular tea purchase, is going to be an Assam... ***rubs hands together*** I'm hoping to make a chicken curry tea sandwich with it on raison bread... he he he! Maybe not the traditional tea sandwich, but I'm excited nonetheless.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat

originally posted by: rickymouse

Thanks for posting the allergy complications. I went to livestrong for the side effects and interactions links in my OP, but hadn't put up a link for allergies.
Thank you!

When dealing with herbs and veggies, the plant defense system chemistry is what often causes the medical benefit. But some people are intolerant of some plant defense system chemistry. Some plants art toxic to everyone, it is because of these chemistries that they are. Plants do have protection and boost protection sometimes when they are stressed. Bugs chewing on them can cause them to form more of this chemistry. Even a deer chewing on a tree boosts the trees chemistry against herbivours..

But the medicines derived from this chemistry need to be applied to the right diagnosis or they can give problems. Some cultures are very good at this. Here in America we were conditioned to ignore these things and trust that the medical industry will supply us with a cure. Listen to the health care people, not to your ancestors. The problem is that passed down knowledge in the family is genetic specific. I paid a little attention, but not enough. So I had my genes sequenced and am now trying to find out what I can from studying genetics.

Actually, some of the stuff in my genetics shows an intolerance to foods of the group of Basil and related plants. I like tomato basil soup and spaghetti once in a while though. I can tolerate it occasionally with no real side effects.

Camomile tea is a problem to me and also valarian root. I tried both of those and had some bad effects, nothing dangerous, just some problems with severe doping and some digestive problems which I do not care to have. Short term use is ok, consistent use can cause side effects, you do not take medicines long term without complications. Correcting the problem that causes the problem is better, that takes some awareness and research.

Some of My grandchildren are very intolerant to Eugenol. I am only somewhat intolerant. I have problems in many of the chemistries in the balsam of Peru group. My oldest granddaughter gets asthma attacks from many things in the ragweed family. Eugenol is present in some of those. There is also some sensitivities in my daughters kids to some of the chemistries in celery and related groups. Some of the chemistries of celery are heat liable so cooking them can get rid of them. Cilantro and oregano are also related though, cilantro is not usually cooked.
edit on 23-5-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Thank you peppycat. It's funny how a simple thing like Tulsi tea can hold such powerful memories. He would mix Tulsi with Green Tea with Jasmine, and sometimes with pomegranate tea. He would bring me a thermos of tea when we'd meet to go walk in the park in the fall - a blend of his own creation.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

Thanks Quantum12. Yes, I will hear him again say, "Can I make you some more tea?" in his beautiful, sweet voice. It's the little things that are so special and having him bring me a lovely cup of tea, Tulsi or otherwise, and hand it to me so tenderly, is a powerful memory. I'd give anything to have him to sip tea with me one more time.

posted on Oct, 16 2023 @ 02:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 15 2023 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
Hello there folks,
I really want to share with everyone an herb known as Tulsi or Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum), not to be confused with Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilcum).
I was introduced to the tea several years ago and have just know started drinking it again.
When I first started drinking it, it was to replace coffee or caffeinated tea early in the morning. I needed a lift without taking any sort of stimulate. Eventually, I started taking the herb in capsule form for the morning boost I needed. It gives you a calm, centered, clear energy without any jitters, in my personal experience.

Sometimes referred to as "The Queen of Herbs'', Tulsi was renamed Holy Basil as told of Here.

Also known as Tusli or "The Incomparable One'', Holy Basil is one of the most sacred plants in India. In Hindu mythology, Tulsi symbolizes the goddess Lakshmi, the wife of Vishnu, who is one of the religions most important deities. The herb has been valued for centuries because of it's benefits for the mind, body spirit.
Source

Goddess Lakshmi means good luck to the Hindus. Perhaps attaining and sustaining a calm and peaceful state from drinking Tulsi tea can bring one luck?

Tulsi is what is known as an Adaptogen.
An adaptogen:

1. Produces a non specific response; for instance, an increase in the power of resistance against multiple (physical, chemical, biological stressors).
2. Has a normalizing influence, irrespective of the direction of change from physiological norms caused by the stressor. (This is the principle of a medicinal substance that is ''two-directional''.)
3. Is innocuous and does not influence normal body functions more than is required.

Studies have been done and I came across this article on, Tulsi-Ocimum Sanctum:A Herb For all Reasons, with 133 references to studies on the herb.

As with any herb, one has to be aware of possible side effects and interactions.
Contains Eugenol, which can be overdosed.
Blood thinning.
Hypoglycemia.
Not recommended for pregnant or nursing mothers.
Should not be taken with NSAIDS, particularly acetaminophen products.
Please read links for more in depth information on Side Effects and Interactions.

I have been drinking a cup of Tulsi tea about once a day and have been feeling a difference in my overall stress levels. I'm am of the opinion that the tea is a safer way to enjoy the benefits of the herb, but I do know you can find it in supplement form.

The first link in the OP is also a brand that sells a boxed version of the tea that I really like. It combines rose and Tulsi..a very enchanting blend.

Thank you for this information! I've never heard about such a tea before. I'm a coffee person, but I try to drink it when I need that coffee boost because coffee makes me really anxious.
And this week I've been drinking too much because I have a lot of work and can't sleep enough, so now I can feel all that effect. The stress level is even higher than it was.
So I think I'll try it to see whether it will be a good alternative to me

join