It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many parents give new mind-boggling report cards an F

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Here is an easier option for determining educational outcomes....
Caution: Australian vernacular used.
Dumb

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

i was agreeing with your previous post - and should have used [sarcasm font] code. Sorry

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1984hasarrived

i was agreeing with your previous post - and should have used [sarcasm font] code. Sorry

I Got It!

I was being kinda flippant back to your sarcasm.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wow, a more comprehensive report card for parents to better understand exactly where their child stands in specific areas?

How horrible!

Change = bad! NOOOO! We can't ever improve anything, as everything is always perfect!

*rolls eyes*

This is just like the common core math. I mean, the rest of the world learns math that way, but screw them! America! America! We are #1! ... oh wait, not really...because someone told me we're not and we have to make America great again. Hm. So I'm not sure which is it is. Are we great or not?

So confused.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Meow! Get your claws in and take a deep breath.

Spurred on by, is still not Common Core.

There are plenty of threads about Common Core.

This one's specific to the grades card, grading system, etc.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
its such a stupid waste

why reinvent the wheel?

my report card from the 70's had room for handwritten teacher comments and it was probably a lot cheaper and faster than all this digital crap

don't get me started on 4th grade math, lol

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
You know, I was on course to be a HS teacher in college. I decided not to though.

I didn't want to become a public enemy and hated by the entire nation for trying to make the world better through education.

What's the point of being a teacher these days? The pay sucks, the community hates you and the children are unruly with uninvolved or hyper-involved helicopter parents.

I wonder about the mental state of anyone deciding to go into education right now. . .

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seeker1963

I wonder how long it takes teachers to fill them out for each kid. That has to be a nightmare too.

I read the whole article being it is in my state this article mentions and it seems full of Orwellian double speak.
Have you notice in todays world it takes multiple pages to explain a simple concept, where back in the day a well constructed sentence was sufficient?

In my day, it could be done with a look.

This sounds asinine.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yep, teachers are hated by the kids, the parents, the authorities, oh and everyone outside of education as they get long holidays - well most teachers I know would gladly take a mindless cubicle job as it probably pays better, and has less stress, but hey, teaching is a vocation like nursing.

But at least nurses get to wear cool uniforms

ETA BLT

England may be heading for a major teaching shortage because of a drop in the number of graduates entering the profession just as pupil rolls soar, according to Ofsted. The watchdog warned that the number of new teachers has dropped by 16 per cent over the last five years, with 8,000 fewer trainees in secondary schools alone.

I wonder why?
edit on 22-5-2016 by 1984hasarrived because: ETA

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   

a reply to: Urantia1111

Yes, but even the assessments of the standardized tests were put in bell curve format back when I was in school. You could look at them and see what percentile you were in for various parts and it gave you an idea of how you tested out.

If everyone is an M no matter how well they do and no one knows what it takes to do better or worse than that, then what is the point of sending out assessments? Seems to me that the parents are being cut out of the loop because they can't tell how their kids need to be helped in order to improve.

I liked that system for standardized tests, it never told me much other than that I was in the 99th percentile in everything in every grade, but I did think the ranking was useful.

Maybe go to what I think is the japanese system. Aside from the grade rank students #/class size, so you can see exactly how you compare. Sometimes giving people metrics to shoot for acts as a good motivator.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I wonder how long it takes teachers to fill them out for each kid. That has to be a nightmare too.

If it is anything like the bull crap systems I have worked with, it is all about the mighty, amazing, all containing, "algorithm"!

Just check a box and let the computer do the rest. And, the computer's decision is "final"!

My biggest argument against computerized standards, is that when you use computers and algorithms, commonsense goes out the window.

To use algorithms, there has to be a cut off point.

For example:
A fever is determined to be 100.1 or greater. If the person has a temp of 100.0 the computer will say they don't have a fever and the person does not meet the criteria for treatment.

Commonsense tells you that there are other factors that may make it obvious that the person does indeed have a fever, but the system will prevent you from treating the fever, because the computer does not factor in any of those other factors and has determined no treatment is necessary, because no fever exists.

It is a nightmare, and everyone either fits, or they don't. A world run by computer standards and algorithms, is not a world for diverse, imperfect humans.

edit on 23-5-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: word correction

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
USA Public education is a joke to anyone with common sense. Thank God there's private schools available.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I read the whole article being it is in my state this article mentions and it seems full of Orwellian double speak.
Have you notice in todays world it takes multiple pages to explain a simple concept, where back in the day a well constructed sentence was sufficient?

WUF! U R %).

W8! IGBTY!

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I wonder how many people in this thread attempted to decipher one of these report cards to see how comprehensive they are versus the traditional format. I'm guessing barely if anyone has done it; instead choosing to whine and complain just because it is new, different, and hard to understand.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Don't you have PTAs in the US anymore. If you do, get a few of you together and go and brow beat the teachers and get things changed for the better.

PTA used to be where parents informed the school on what they expected from the school system, and what they wanted for their children.

Few schools have strong parent participation in their PTA. Parents are no longer actively parenting. What can we expect when parents sit in the same house with their children and communicate with them by phone, email, or the internet.

Parents have handed over their children to the system. They no longer can tell the system what they want. They can now, only do what they are told.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
Commonsense tells you that there are other factors that may make it obvious that the person does indeed have a fever, but the system will prevent you from treating the fever, because the computer does not factor in any of those other factors and has determined no treatment is necessary, because no fever exists.

In such a situation you would look for several symptoms and decide if there should be treatment based on how all of the symptoms interact. A fever in one range could be worth X points, another Y points. Sweating/chills Z points, and so on. If you're over a certain number of points, you determine there should be treatment.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Yes, I know all about that new-fangled email thingy. /sarc

I use it with my son's teacher quite often, but it doesn't communicate big picture very well. And not every teacher is all that communicative.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: 1984hasarrived

Indeedy, change is constant - except in the world of education, god forbid!

Let's all have our kids taught the traditional way!! Just like in Dickens' time!

Oh, I don't think so. No, No, No, not me

And I have a McGuffey Reader. Might as well just read the bible.

The Bible has a better lexile score than most American high school grads' reading level since many are functionally illiterate especially if we are talking King James Version.

So ... might as well just read the Bible indeed.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I wonder how many people in this thread attempted to decipher one of these report cards to see how comprehensive they are versus the traditional format. I'm guessing barely if anyone has done it; instead choosing to whine and complain just because it is new, different, and hard to understand.

All right explain to me exactly why the information about a child's progress needs to take 9 whole pages.

It's one thing to say you want to offer a more detailed picture of where the student stands, and it's another for that to take 9 pages when the kid has at best 5, maybe 6 core subjects. That's more than a page per subject.

posted on May, 23 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

All right explain to me exactly why the information about a child's progress needs to take 9 whole pages.

So you think it is too hard to read a multi-page report that details your child's educational development that you receive every three months or so? Oh wait, we are in the age of reading = icky. So I can understand why parents are outraged they have to put forth mental effort to understand their child's educational development.

It's one thing to say you want to offer a more detailed picture of where the student stands, and it's another for that to take 9 pages when the kid has at best 5, maybe 6 core subjects. That's more than a page per subject.

A page!??! OMG! The horrors of having to read one whole page of text!

PS: You didn't answer the question I posed in my original post. I find that very telling of your opinion regarding these report cards. Especially since your comments to me can be pretty much summed up as follows, "these report cards are too long!" Which is a complaint I wondered about in that post.
edit on 23-5-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join