It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The cult of Scientology

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I've always wondered why people would join a cult. Then I came across Scientology.

How can a "religion", like Scientology, even be around in this day and age?

Why would you want to pay to find out things that are freely available on the Internet?

Why would you put up with the abuse and still want to be a part of it?

Anyway, I came across this article Leaving scientology? while I was on my internet travels. It's about a person who documented her leaving of Scientology and what happens when you're in the cult. It's a pretty good read and definitely an eye opener.

I also happened upon A documentary on fraud and abuse in Scientology. There's a video on the page, as well as some more links for people to explore.

I just stumbled on another site. Funnily enough it's address is www.xenu.net.... Talk about ironic lol. It looks like a good resource too.

These are just 3 of the THOUSANDS of reports of abuse, fraud and people leaving. These are actual witnesses who were involved. It's not just some YouTube channel where someone just says it's bad and that is it.

Anywaaaaaays.....

hail the spaghetti monster!
edit on 2252016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:12 AM
link   
You can get every ot level online and it is mind numbing activities like counting people for hours and then you know about Xenu.

When he died Hubbard left 600,000,000$ and Miscaviage got IRS tax exempt status and went to work on a few celebs and the wealthy with short term bliss from pseudo-hypnosis/confession and when it wears off you go back for more auditing.

How they find new prey is by not appearing under the name Scientology and offering people "personality tests." And if you find someone naive with money you bankrupt and then enslave them.
edit on 22-5-2016 by Parazurvan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Hubbard was "friends" with JPL co-founder and self taught explosives expert and inventor of solid rocket fuel Jack Parsons when he was head of the Agape lodge of A. Crowley and Reuss' O.T.O. and conned him out of his last dime and then went on to write Dianetics.

They kept a record of a sex magick ritual they did with one Marjorie Cameron as the scarlet women in what they called the Babylon Working.

Crowley would soon cease associating with Jack calling him a "weak fool" and about Hubbard " obvious confidence trick"

Bare face Messiah is the best Hubbard bio.

Sex and Rockets, the curious origins of (NASA or JPL?) is a bio on Parsons that you can read in one sitting it is so interesting.

Or Google Babalon working, spelled like that.

I think Miscaviage imprisoned or made disappear his wife I hear she hasn't been seen for years and he won't talk about it.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Parazurvan

Many years ago I did a little research into Scientology and I don't know how much of it is accurate or not, but certainly Hubbard was a close associate with Crowley the father of modern-day satanism.

It appears to be satanic in nature at its core, and its teachings very similiar to certain occult rituals with the intention of putting oneself under demonic influence.

I am not an expert though, so I'd best not go into to much detail that I know. Those statements above come from reading works of Hubbard himself admitting these things, his friendship with Crowley, his admiration of the secret occult societies he was involved in, and his obvious incorporation of same into his fake religion he invented.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Parazurvan
You can get every ot level online and it is mind numbing activities like counting people for hours and then you know about Xenu.

When he died Hubbard left 600,000,000$ and Miscaviage got IRS tax exempt status and went to work on a few celebs and the wealthy with short term bliss from pseudo-hypnosis/confession and when it wears off you go back for more auditing.

How they find new prey is by not appearing under the name Scientology and offering people "personality tests." And if you find someone naive with money you bankrupt and then enslave them.

Sounds like the gov.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: PeterH

Actually Hubbard claimed he was good friends with Crowley but they never met or talked ever.

Hubbard spent his last years at sea and died in hiding, insane and miserable.

It is just hypnosis and slow mind control that is hard to undue once you get in deep you can't get out.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
What... you guy's don't believe there are little aliens inside you that are immortal....pff

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I like cults! It keeps all the like minded lunatics in groups so they are easier to keep track of.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Scientology is a business construct that discovered you can abuse, threaten, torture and rob people, as long as you claim that your business of actually a religion. So they made sure they were before too many investigations had started.
If you look more critical at some other mainstream religions, you will find that they are the same. Easiest example right now: ISIS. They didn't even bother inventing a new religion. They just hijacked one that they knew would not reject them overly from within.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   

I think any discussion about these nutbars needs to include the very compelling HBO documentary Going Clear which details the abuse that demitting members face by the remaining cult members.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Guy was a failed Science fiction writer he was told that there is no money in that, only religion. So long and behold he turned it into a religion. It's baffling that people would join this cult knowing his previous occupation.

And the whole bunker in the desert is interesting.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew
Guy was a failed Science fiction writer he was told that there is no money in that, only religion. So long and behold he turned it into a religion. It's baffling that people would join this cult knowing his previous occupation.

Years ago, I read one of his novels. It was awful, much worse than most of Frank Herbert's novels. But then, so was his "church."

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lazarus Short

originally posted by: GemmyMcGemJew

Years ago, I read one of his novels. It was awful, much worse than most of Frank Herbert's novels. But then, so was his "church."

When I was a kid, maybe around 12 I was at a Goodwill with my mom. I was looking through the book section and saw this humongeous sci-fi book called: Battlefield Earth A Saga of the Year 3000. I was a sci-fi fan as a kid and thought the cover looked cool. A strong man with flowing blond hair with a lazer in his hands and a ruined earth in the background.

I went to pay for it. I forgot how much it was, not a lot, I think around $1.50 or some such, and I remember being short about a .25 and the cashier told me to take it anyway.

I read it and really enjoyed it. Maybe as a grown up I wouldn't as much? I don't know. But I thought it was pretty good at the time.

I didn't know about Scientology of course at the time.

ETA:

I just googled it and found the bookcover. Man that takes me back, many years ago:

Cover

edit on 22-5-2016 by PeterH because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
its the same reason why people will pay to be part of an mlm scam. They're buying into a club that seems exciting and offers a margin of hope. Plus they have a catchy name. And there's a lot of stupid people out there. I don't understand though how a lot of us on here know all this crap about life and are able to think outside the box. Meanwhile most seem so clueless and brainwashed. Most people in society only believe the 6 o'clock news and are brainwashed zombies working for the man. Can't they or won't they ever wake up n snap out of it.
edit on 22-5-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

This is a bit off your topic...but Hubbard had discussed if one wants to make money...start a religion. Tax breaks and donations flow...all legal.

Sad thing is some adopt those"teachings". And they pay for learning.

Think I'll start the "Church of Joey".
edit on 22-5-2016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Scientology PR persons like Travolta and Cruise made this cult interesting along with other well known celebrities. It is sad and quite bizarre what all people inviolved with this cult are ready to give up in name of "gaining more" personal qualities and super powers.
There are hundreds cases of losing lives... secrets told in e-meter session.. all recorded. Your dirty secrets in hands of cult leaders, people are victims of blackmail .
I have been following scientology issues for years.. and tried to understand what is the catch in it. What makes parents so involved in scientology that they deny medication of their child when child definately needs medication just because Hubbard who was insane himself was against medication related to mental issues.
Makes your wonder insanity inside the cult.. steps Katie Holmes had to do when she was trying to leave the cult of her husband Tom, excessive sauna sessions to be " clear " again.. etc. What happened to son of Travolta, who definately needed medical help.. What kind of crimes have people done in their lives to be stucked with this religion for the rest of their lives.. who knows.

Crowley connection is definately there, church of scientology tried to ban movie which is said to explain what happened to Hubbard and how Scientology began, movie was banned for decades in US.. ( propably still ? ) movie director leaked movie in internet and Scientology has made everything they can to make sure it will not be available for public. Movie comes and goes ..

This time movie has been in youtube for a year ( perhaps a record ) .

Enjoy.
edit on 22-5-2016 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sheesh

Scientology is a business construct that discovered you can abuse, threaten, torture and rob people, as long as you claim that your business of actually a religion. So they made sure they were before too many investigations had started.
If you look more critical at some other mainstream religions, you will find that they are the same. Easiest example right now: ISIS. They didn't even bother inventing a new religion. They just hijacked one that they knew would not reject them overly from within.

You made some very good observations there.

I'm reminded of a pyramid scheme, mix in some abuse, fraud and tax exemption and boom! Scientology.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think any discussion about these nutbars needs to include the very compelling HBO documentary Going Clear which details the abuse that demitting members face by the remaining cult members.

I can't believe I forgot about Going Clear!

There's some amazing info in there about this cult masquerading as a religion.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

This is a bit off your topic...but Hubbard had discussed if one wants to make money...start a religion. Tax breaks and donations flow...all legal.

Sad thing is some adopt those"teachings". And they pay for learning.

Think I'll start the "Church of Joey".

That sounds about right. It was thought of just to make money, then it evolved to make even more money.

posted on May, 22 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

It does seem like it's more of a "club for the rich and famous" than a religion. It's been the "in thing" for a while, but people started realising they were just getting scammed and tried to leave. Scared of losing money, Scientology then started with the abuse to keep them brainwashed and in the cult.

I'll check out the video later

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join