It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lt. Gen. Boykin Fired for Free Speech

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Your under a different set of rules when your in the military.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well, now we went full drama queen.

There are consequences to the things we do and say.

Accept responsibility for what you say.

There is no consequence to speech. There are consequences to being superstitious towards words, however. But my grandfather always to think before you act.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 21-5-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You thought police advocates sicken me personally.

But Les - you are the thought police. Who more often than you here at ATS is telling us what is wrong thinking and what is right?

Who?

You don't slip under the radar all that easily for all of us

You advocate for free speech? All anyone has to do is read back through all your threads, and all your posts with an objective, honest and discerning eye

You hate the left (whatever that even means anymore). It's an easy handle though - isn't it? Works well for you - but it's just lazy. And obvious

You are here for a reason - but free speech isn't it

edit on 5/21/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

You're justifying punishment for "words" spoken.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Apparently, if words are spoken, and someone is offended by the words, many here think that punishment is merited because someone was offended.

If that isn't an attempt to curb free speech, I don't know what is.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I've never advocated the suppression of thoughts and views, unlike you. So excuse as I continue to suspect everything that you write, for its nascent bigotry is apparent.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

There is no consequence to speech. There are consequences to being superstitious towards words, however. But my grandfather always to think before you act.

Yes, you've tried that line before as a way to wiggle out of taking responsibility for one's conduct, and it fails now as it did then.

There are consequences to speech. If one of my employees were to use racist language during the course of their duties, they can be fired. Not because we are being superstitious, but because their words reflect on me and others and it can have an affect on business.

There are consequences to speech.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

If you only understood what words mean - you wouldn't have said that

There are consequences for everything any of us say

Or do you not believe in personal responsibility?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Look at my example. Yes, there are consequences for words spoken.

Another example would be emotional abuse. Are there not consequences for emotionally abusing children and spouses?

Is that all superstition?

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

No there is no consequence to speech. We're talking about reality. If people connect the views of an employee to that of your business, they are committing a fallacy. It's not because the words made them do it.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Hmmmm, I guess he got his job back with the out cry that he was fired over being PC, or lack there of.

College Reverses Firing of Ex-Army General After Transgender Bathroom Comments

An all-male college in Virginia has reversed its decision to fire a prominent retired U.S. Army general hours after reports that he was removed over political correctness provoked outcry.

Hampden-Sydney College decided to offer Lt. Gen. William “Jerry” Boykin a one-year contract, walking back its decision to fire Boykin after he made controversial comments about transgender bathrooms that angered LGBT activists.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

So you'd be okay being punished if someone found what you wrote, offensive?

I don't believe that.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Snarl

Irrational gobbledygook.

Is the guy in prison? He's not? Not arrested even? Then his free speech is in tact.

I am going to laugh a LOT when Trump is elected in a landslide and the PC correct see what it's like to be stifled.

That's entirely what this hyped up born of delusion anti-PC CRUSADE is all about, an attempt to "stifle" people that advocate for the civil rights of others that for some reason frighten more traditionally minded folks.

Exactly, as an employee of any institution/organization/company that employee has to understand that their employer's maintain the right to terminate said employee if that employee publicly says things that do not align with the companies ideals. He was not arrested, fined or otherwise judicially penalized for his opinion. He spoke publicly and said things that the company does not promote therefore terminated.

If I'm working the drive through at a fast food joint and upon discovering the patrons at my window fit a demographic that I do not like or agree with and I express that then I would be asking to be terminated if my views are not aligned with that of my employer. Simple as that!

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I've never advocated the suppression of thoughts and views, unlike you. So excuse as I continue to suspect everything that you write, for its nascent bigotry is apparent.

You're a lot like Trump - you know that?

You think you can say things - and it doesn't matter if it's true. The people who agree with you won't care if it's true either. Isn't that interesting?

:-)

If you believe in freedom of thinking, and freedom of speech - why are you not allowing the left that same freedom? You don't like what they're saying? Then argue against it intelligently

But that's not what you're about

Bigotry indeed

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

No there is no consequence to speech. We're talking about reality. If people connect the views of an employee to that of your business, they are committing a fallacy. It's not because the words made them do it.

So it would be wrong for me to fire an employee because of their openly racist speech, because the one's that are actually wrong are the customers that take offense to it?

Ya, forgive me if I find your definition of reality to be a bit delusional. That is not how the world works and you know it.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Yup, two sets of laws, military and civilian.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

So you'd be okay being punished if someone found what you wrote, offensive?

I don't believe that.

Is that what I said?

It's like you're not even trying

This is exactly why we are where we are

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Like I said in my original post, those that advocate for authoritarian rule will be against free speech and will advocate punishment for it.

posted on May, 21 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

It is your right if he doesn't follow the rules. The point is there is no consequences to speech. If your blood boils at the sound of certain speech, that is your problem, and a consequence of your own biology, your own psychology, your own delusion, no one else's.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join