It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC reports they are monitoring 157 pregnant women, in the U.S., who have been infected with Zika

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Just as I read that the number of Zika cases in the U.S. had reached 60, up pops a new story that states the CDC has reported 157 pregnant women, in the U.S., have been infected with Zika and are being monitored by the CDC. That number goes up to 279 if you include Puerto Rico.

I can only find two news sources, at the moment -- The Washington Post and Daily Mail -- but, I would think this would qualify as a major headline story.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that it is monitoring 279 pregnant women with likely Zika virus infections across U.S. states and territories. The largest number of cases by far are in Puerto Rico, where officials are keeping tabs on 122 pregnant women. But they also are tracking 157 other pregnant women across the country.

"One challenge of this Zika virus outbreak is the lack of understanding of the magnitude of risk and the spectrum of outcomes associated with Zika virus infection during pregnancy," researchers wrote in a report published Friday. The surveillance effort, they noted, is expected to change that, "enhance risk assessment and counseling of pregnant women and families, advance clinical care, and assist states and territories to anticipate and plan needed resources and increase prevention efforts."

WaPo
DailyMail

Now, to non-expectant people, Zika may not worry you in the slightest. But this will cause significant panic amongst pregnant women, this summer. I have been watching the two big online pregnancy forums and their posters were already very concerned -- a good portion have cancelled vacations and it sounds like all of them have brought it up with their obgyns.

I think it's safe to say Zika will have a profound effect on the election by the time November rolls around. I also think it would be a great time to invest in the mosquito repellant industry.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Getting political in some ways ....

A biotech mosquito is kicking up a political storm in the Florida Keys.

Oxitec Ltd. , a British maker of genetically modified insects, plans to go door to door in coming weeks to pitch Key Haven, Fla., voters on the virtues of a modified mosquito that the company says can help kill off wild populations known to spread maladies like the Zika virus and dengue fever.

Critics of Oxitec’s proposed field trial are pushing back with yard signs and social-media campaigns, warning that the biotech mosquitoes aren’t needed to curb diseases and could harm local ecosystems.

Florida Town Wary of Fighting Zika With Biotech Mosquito

Biotech $$/complex

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Why is it that such an old dormant virus like Zika which never made any real problems

Suddenly is uprising where GMO Mosquitos have been released ?

Why ?

new topics

join