It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read the Donald Trump exam question that got a Florida teacher suspended

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: damwel
a reply to: SomeDumbBroad

I agree it's unprofessional but when my kids were in school they had several right wing teachers mouthing off about President Clinton.

Yeah I don't agree with that either. If you want to hold a class study or a focus group to express your personal opinion outside of school duties, more power to you. Not everyone has the same political views and that is okay... it is NOT okay for a "professional" to try and dissuade the opinions of young adults because they have their own convictions. I think colleges are becoming more and more of a circus these days.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

If it wasn't a joke test or something along those lines the suspension is appropriate.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Yes, very naughty of teach...kinda funny though!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
THAT is what is teaching kids ? Fire her

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

The multiple-choice question asks students, “If a Donald Trump becomes president of the United states, we are:” and the choices are:

A. Screwed

B. Screwed

C. Screwed

D. Screwed behind a really YUGE wall that Mexico pays for.

Read the Donald Trump exam question that got a Florida teacher suspended

Idiocracy anyone?

Shouldn't teachers have more respect for education than that? This is an example of something that would have fit right in in the film Idiocracy. When I see things like this, I shudder to think of the future. I know this forum is loaded with optimists but...think about when you were a high school student, was something like the above even imaginable?

On a serious note, according to the following report, Trump must win Florida to have a chance in the general election.

www.youtube.com...

I think the joke is hilarious and I am not really anti-trump..it is just funny.

That said, I wonder about the validity of the article...you could get in trouble just for putting "screwed" on a paper, let alone with the added political agenda. So it's a little too convenient, and obviously likely to get you fired.

That said assuming it is true, I think teachers should be able to express their political beliefs in class, as long as they handle it professionally. This was obviously not professional...

American law says that the government shall favor nor oppose any religion, but I'm not sure that carries over to political views.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

originally posted by: damwel

I agree it's unprofessional but when my kids were in school they had several right wing teachers mouthing off about President Clinton.

Yeah I don't agree with that either. If you want to hold a class study or a focus group to express your personal opinion outside of school duties, more power to you. Not everyone has the same political views and that is okay... it is NOT okay for a "professional" to try and dissuade the opinions of young adults because they have their own convictions. I think colleges are becoming more and more of a circus these days.

I thought that was their job...

Now I'm not talking about this specific situation, this wasn't done professionally...but children hearing varying veiw points is supposed to be part of school...

I think the only restricted subject is religion, making everything else fair game.

This push lately by conservatives to restrict anyone who's veiw isn't conservative enough for them is laughable...

Conservative media has been peddling lies and fake scandals so long, conservative people no longer know who to trust, so they don't trust anyone.

Look at Trump. Every conservative media source, politician and such, Every place conservatives are supposed to trust begged people not to back trump, and they did anyway..

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I took quite a few American Politics classes in college and I never had a teacher that would point out a particular candidate and speak poorly of them. That would challenge the integrity of the class by potentially influencing a students opinion and focusing on an individual rather than the actual political structure. In my opinion this was completely unprofessional.

Yea, but that was a political class specifically.. Putting a higher bar, because that's the classes whole point.

I don't find anything wrong with expressing your opinion, as long as you keep an Internet type " none of us get to make these decisions, so it's really just BS talk" feel to it. The only thing I would consider wrong is if the teacher penalized the students who disagree.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Agreed.

Thank you

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Any extra credit for calling the teacher on a spellin fo paw? Is there a "Common Core" for spelling and grammar?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

1) I really wish people would stop referencing that damned movie.

It was not a movie, it was a prophecy and we are on track to complete it.

But yeah I agree with you it was ok , but its where we are heading.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

No but I would bet alot of the people complaning here wouldn'thave an issue with it. Or if it wasn't a question about Trump.

Anyway she was wrong and got suspend, seems like justice served.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I took quite a few American Politics classes in college and I never had a teacher that would point out a particular candidate and speak poorly of them. That would challenge the integrity of the class by potentially influencing a students opinion and focusing on an individual rather than the actual political structure. In my opinion this was completely unprofessional.

Yea, but that was a political class specifically.. Putting a higher bar, because that's the classes whole point.

I don't find anything wrong with expressing your opinion, as long as you keep an Internet type " none of us get to make these decisions, so it's really just BS talk" feel to it. The only thing I would consider wrong is if the teacher penalized the students who disagree.

My point was that even in a political class designed to focus on the structure of the parties my teachers remained unbias. You can teach a group of people without implementing your personal ideas. Even on the Debate team, my teacher was heavily political but never bias. It isn't about choosing a side, it's about learning the process to which we vote into and elect officials for.

A teacher should be concerned about teaching a child or young adult logical reasoning, not pressing their own agenda onto the child/young adult or even fully grown adults. Learning the way the voting process works and how the checks and balances of the system are imperative to our well being is something that needs to be taught...not "Don't vote for this person because I hate them".

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: stosh64

If it wasn't a joke test or something along those lines the suspension is appropriate.

As suspected, there's more to this story:

This man's contract was not being renewed, and he had already filed a wrongful dismissal suit before he administered the final exam: Business Insider "This final-exam question about Donald Trump got a Florida teacher suspended"

The Trump question wasn't the only instance of controversial exam material. Another question asked what to do during an opening statement in a courtroom. Answer choices included "find the hottest person on the Jury and focus your words on them" and "treat them like the MORONS they are," according to Palm Beach Post columnist Kristina Webb. Before administering his final exam, Leigh had already launched a lawsuit against the school, Sonja Isger of the Palm Beach Post reported. The suit alleges that the school did not renew his and about 30 other teachers' contracts in retaliation for a perceived lack of loyalty to administrators. Notably, Leigh stood by five students who revealed to the school board that they didn't have a full-time math teacher.

I don't think these exam questions will help his court case, honestly. But again, more to the story than just "some liberal corrupting America's youth" narrative that always gets interjected in these items.

Honestly, this seems like the silly outcome of a pissing match between a teacher and a principal.
edit on 20-5-2016 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

My point was that even in a political class designed to focus on the structure of the parties my teachers remained unbias. You can teach a group of people without implementing your personal ideas. Even on the Debate team, my teacher was heavily political but never bias. It isn't about choosing a side, it's about learning the process to which we vote into and elect officials for.

A teacher should be concerned about teaching a child or young adult logical reasoning, not pressing their own agenda onto the child/young adult or even fully grown adults. Learning the way the voting process works and how the checks and balances of the system are imperative to our well being is something that needs to be taught...not "Don't vote for this person because I hate them".

Yea but a political science teacher would HAVE to be unbiased to successfully teach the class. Your algebra teacher can teach you algebra no matter what his political veiw is.

Feel me?

If a political science teacher only teaches you the liberal POV, then he did not successfully teach you the material.

If a computer programming teacher blasts Obama every day for the first 5 min of class, then teaches programming. The kids still learn to program.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Well i dont see Donald Trump being suspended for some of his more colourful statements, personally i think she deserves a "Yuge" pay rise.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Since the question and available answers are essentially a true and an accurate estimate of the situation I would say that this question invites thought as well as reveals an unpalatable truth and hence accords with the finest traditions of education.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

So why should it be deemed okay for a teacher that does not teach politics? Why should the teacher who is NOT a political teacher be pushing a political agenda? I don't care what side of the spectrum you are on, if I am in your class and I am learning about Math, Science, English or anything OTHER than politics, I am walking out of your class.

I stand by my opinion that teachers should not be bias when teaching their students... no matter if it is political, religious or otherwise. Your job is to teach fundamentals, not push your personal agenda. If you want to push your own personal political opinions, work towards becoming an active member of the political process.

edit on 20-5-2016 by SomeDumbBroad because: Double negative

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Everyone is entitled to there opinion, even teachers and racist xenophobic megalomaniacs like Mr Trump.

Its the prize we pay so as to afford the luxury that freedom exists, even if it does so only in our own heads.
edit on 20-5-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is not all that uncommon really, I remember waaaay back when I was just starting high school and was given an assignment to write a paper; the paper was to be started with the sentence "Reaganomics, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer". Obviously the political agenda has been steady throughout the school system for quite some time.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Any teacher with a sense of humor must be disposed of.

Because this works so much better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join