It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Woman in stolen car dies after being shot by San Francisco police

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

My bad....a few combat zones....growing up in inner cities.....being black......watching the worst humanity has to offer on a daily basis....

just what outlook am I supposed to have?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: BooCrackers

No, it doesn't go back to admiralty law. It goes back to the courts ruling that it's not feasible to park a cop in your living room to stop crime from happening to you 24/7. And since law enforcement can't be reasonably expected to stop all crime, all the time, everywhere, you can't sue your local agency for not preventing a home invasion.

But that's one of those fun facts that people like to tweak ever so slightly to make it sound way cooler and more ominous.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11
a reply to: CalibratedZeus

Lets face facts. The amount of police killings in the USA tops that of Canada or British police killings tenfold looking at per capita numbers. So something is seriously wrong here

Ever thought that is maybe because the US has a bigger criminal population? Per capita numbers don't tell the whole story. The US has 300 million people, a huge amount of cultural and social diversity, some of which isn't all rainbows and unicorns.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: BooCrackers
a reply to: eNumbra

My bad....a few combat zones....growing up in inner cities.....being black......watching the worst humanity has to offer on a daily basis....

just what outlook am I supposed to have?

That things can get better if we try to make them better. If you don't bother trying to make things better then nothing will ever change.

Yeah, life sucks and while I don't share all the experiences you have, anytime I've ever wallowed in the "it's always been this way so who cares?", mindset, nothing is ever accomplished by it; it's a pointless, even at times masturbatory to think that way.
edit on 5/20/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AVtech34
a reply to: odzeandennz Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

i like that line.

Thanks

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'd urge everyone to see Michael Moore's new film: "Where to invade next."
Whatever your perception of him is, he certainly asks the tough questions.

There's a part where he speaks with prisoners, and prison guards in Scandawegia, Police in Portugal etc.
Their take on things is that if you treat other human beings with dignity, it gets paid forwards.
I think that is something that is in short supply in the US.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Actually Canadian cops all carry guns. They also carry non lethal weapons and are trained in de-escalating violent situations. They just rarely use their guns and rely on other methods of subduing suspects.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgered1

Then you've fallen for the MSM's line completely.

It always makes me sad when somebody has the opinion that nobody treats anybody else with basic respect. I would wager you could interview any number of cops and jail/prison guards in the US and for every one of them that says they don't care, they would be outnumbered by those who readily agree that treating people decently tends to make things go smoother for everybody.

Does it always happen? No, of course not. And that's what the MSM siezes on and pushes. Giving the impression that every last one of the over one million sworn personnel in the US like to provoke people just to make everything harder for themselves.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgered1

I've been a cop for over a decade now.

I work in the city in which I was born and raised in. I care deeply for my city, and the citizens in it.

I have always treated everyone, criminal or not, with respect.

In return I have been punched, kicked, called every name in the book, had things thrown at me, and even spit on.

Just because you treat someone with dignity and respect doesn't mean they will give you the same in return.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The USA jails people for things that many other countries don't bother with. The majority of the US prison population is a product of the "war on drugs" which was and is a sham. The USA has private prisons which is absurd. Do you not think Canada and Britain and other eurpean countries have criminals. They have plenty.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Maybe they felt being thrown in a cage was undignified and disrespectful?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FaunaOrFlora

Should people not be arrested for the crimes they commit because it makes them feel undignified and disrespected?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Depends on your definition of "crime" I guess........

For example a certain plant........
edit on 20-5-2016 by FaunaOrFlora because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I've never rolled up on a scene and built a cage to "throw" somebody into it before I said a word to them. The cage usually comes after word one, if it comes at all.

Let's not pretend everybody is sweetness and light to cops all the time, mmmkay? If we can admit that not all cops treat all people with decency all the time, surely we can do better than pretending every person treats every cop with decency, right? Or are we playing this game now?

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

edit on 20-5-2016 by TorqueyThePig because: off topic

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Who in their right mind would treat a cop about to ruin their life in a nice way?

That's what you cops don't get. Even a traffic ticket can ruin someone's life. You ruin people's lives on a daily basis and then whine when we don't lick your boots and say "can I have some more please?".

I know....I know they shouldn't have been committing a "crime" right?

Well....when there are so many laws on the books that makes EVERYONE a criminal (including you), you really have no high ground.....

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11

The USA jails people for things that many other countries don't bother with.

Because depending on the offense you aren't jailed you are executed.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
a reply to: Joecanada11

The USA jails people for things that many other countries don't bother with.

Because depending on the offense you aren't jailed you are executed.

Seems the USA is heading in this direction as well. Evidenced by the OP and all the posters saying she deserved it.......

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Who in their right mind would treat a cop about to ruin their life in a nice way?

If your getting in trouble with the law...it isn't the cop who is ruining your life you are.

That's what you cops don't get. Even a traffic ticket can ruin someone's life.

Unless your wanted for warrants a traffic ticket won't ruin a person's life, it may inconvenience you a bit but not ruin it.

You ruin people's lives on a daily basis and then whine when we don't lick your boots and say "can I have some more please?".

Interesting place you live, because I have never once had I needed to lick a police officers boot and ask for more. If you have to say that then you may want to see about a life change.

I know....I know they shouldn't have been committing a "crime" right?

Best way I found to avoid having to deal with the police...but maybe that's just my strange way of looking at things.

Well....when there are so many laws on the books that makes EVERYONE a criminal (including you), you really have no high ground.....

Only when they break those laws.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

No one has ever been accused of a crime they didn't commit?

And a traffic ticket can ruin a person's life. You must not live pay check to pay check like 98% of Americans. Must be nice to make that salary as a cop......with all the perks.

The rest of your rant isn't worth my time.....
edit on 20-5-2016 by FaunaOrFlora because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join