It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people becoming intolerant?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Nah.

Intolerance today can be masked by a wide variety of things. Being Anti-PC for example is one of the better ways to hide your intolerance.

"well nobody is willing to just plainly say the things that I'm thinking".

Yes Jim Bob, because those things you think, are racist and uneducated, among other things. I know that's all you have to work with, but this is why we some people get to make decisions about the country and some don't.

But there aren't MORE intolerant people than there were.

The world is a much smaller place than it use to be 20 years ago, hell even 5 years ago. This means we hear about everything at an ever increasingly amplified rate. Since humans seem to be predisposed to enjoying misery more than happiness, we hear about the bad much more than the good.

Although there's a good argument that all the bad we are exposed to is done on purpose. In fact it's probably the more likely of scenarios.

As for your friends, it doesn't sound like you chose them based on what you want. It's almost like you allow your friends to tolerate you. If you are so afraid that they will abandon you for saying the wrong thing, or talking to the wrong people then they are not your friends.

They are just acquaintances and I have thousands of those, but just a few friends. If your'e the type of person that doesn't rely on labels for their identity, then you need people in your life who are like that as well.

Liberal, conservative, gay or straight, these are all just details and are not actually in any way tied to morality, education, intellect or anything else that actually matters within the context of one's personality.

~Tenth
edit on 5/20/2016 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I read an article about hate between Americans is at a high since 1966, not just liberal vs conservative, but liberal vs liberal and conservative vs conservative

A new poll from the Pew Research Center shows that Americans are all overwhelmingly hated by other Americans.

thegoodlordabove.com...

We often see threads complaining about people hating Americans, when in fact it's you lot hating each other

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Extremes are pulling apart more than the usual, I will give you that.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: redempsh

Good point!

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I can definitely relate to your feelings on this topic.

I used to be of the mindset that if you don't agree with me on topics that I feel strongly about, we can no longer be friends. By coming to this website, my mind has opened up and I am far more tolerant of people with strong opposing opinions to my own.

Now, I maintain the following position: if you have strong opinions or are passionate to a cause I don't agree with, we can still be friends and learn from each other. However, if you are somebody that wants to silence/shut down/censor somebody because of your strong views and maintain a "you are either with me or against me" type mindset, then I have no time for you.

I believe that is a pretty reasonable position to maintain.

edit on 20/5/2016 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I have a few people in my life that have done the exact same thing - grilling me on my beliefs and politics. Old friends and some family. It was surreal - and disturbing

There's a lot going on these days and most of it is not imaginary. People have real reasons to be afraid - and they want reasons for what's wrong and plans for how to make things right

Unfortunately there aren't any easy solutions

I think that when times are good people blend. When times are hard we look to our allies

When times are beyond hard and it all hits the fan - we see the very worst of mankind - but we'll also see the very best

It's worth it to work at trying to keep the peace. Biting our tongues once in a while is a gift to mankind I think

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

it ain't nothing new. People have always fought, even gone to war, over political ideology.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Political beliefs should be very important to people, they are your backbone and where your passions arise.

I could date someone who is not very political, however, there are questions to ask to see if we could be compatible for ex.

What do you think about abortion, what do you think about gays having the right to marry, what is your stance on religion in schools, etc.

Based on the answer to those questions, I could tell if I want to date someone, or even be friends with them (im on dating websites as well)

I am very liberal and also very good friends with trump supporter, Obama bashing republicans. They share the same beliefs as myself on abortion, gay marriage, etc, just they are different and we can debate for 3 hours straight and still give each other hugs and plan to run for president/v.pres together. They are my facebook friends and they do not post too many Obama/HIlary bashing posts but when they do, I call them out and it actually funny

I have had to delete some "friends" from my facebook (they weren't really good friends to begin with) bc I don't want those idiot crazy peeps in my personal space...that is what fb is these days, personal space.

posted on May, 20 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It isn't a matter of 'intolerance'.....I am intolerant of copperhead snakes in my yard. One can be and at times SHOULD be intolerant.

Rather, it seems to me,It is a matter of smug self righteousness , arrogance and hypocricy. THOSE traits are increasing, mainly due to the internet and social media giving every whining and pompous jankleg a bully-pulpit.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join