It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican tries to block nominee from office because he is a Muslim

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:29 AM
link   
‘His beliefs are total opposite': Republican tries to block nominee from office because he is a Muslim

Yep, here we have it. Just what a lot of us have been saying:

A Christian pastor in the nation’s third-most-populous county tried to stop a Muslim man from serving in the local Republican Party because of his religion.

So, apparently the Texas GOP appoints a chair for every single precinct. In this case, we have a Muslim man being appointed, who also happens to be a Republican—since the days of Reagan, it seems. However, during a county GOP meeting Trebor Gordon, a Christian pastor of a local church and chaplain for the Harris County Republican party, stood up to denounce the appointment.

Gordon said that Ali should be blocked “on the grounds that Islam does not have any basis or any foundation. It is the total opposite of our foundation.”
“Islam and Christianity do not mix,” Gordon said.

I guess someone forgot the little part about separation of church and state, or the fact that there is no religious requirement or test for office. I guess someone forgot to tell him that this is America, and that we don't have a national religion. But that's expected. His reasons are absurd, too.

“During my prayer, this man did not bow his head. During the pledge of allegiance, he did not utter a word. He didn’t even try to fake it and move his lips,” Gordon said at the meeting, where attendees said nearly 200 people were present. “If you believe that a person can practice Islam and agree to the foundational principles of the Republican Party, it’s not right. It’s not true. It can’t happen. There are things on our platform that he and his beliefs are total opposite.”

Is there a Christian requirement for being in Republican party? That's a new one on me. Or maybe it's simply a tacit consensus that this man verbalized.

One man brought up the party’s rules prohibiting discrimination on the basis of religion. That prompted another man, identified by Simpson and Cravens as precinct chair Mike Robertson, to stand up to ask whether Islam is a religion at all.

Really? Now these religious bigots are arguing that it is not a religion at all (some will argue, "but it's an ideology" and not a religion, and has cannot coexist with western ideals).

THIS is the problem with religion. This is the problem with religion in government. There is NO requirement that ANYONE has to pray, pretend to pray, bow one's head out of politeness, or do ANYTHING involving ANY religious ritual in order to hold any kind of office in the United States of America.

I'm sure a lot of people in the GOP feel just like this pastor, which is evident from hearing a large number of Republicans, both politicians and regular citizens, who have come out publicly against Islam, and sometimes vehemently so. It is these narrow-minded religious beliefs (in MOST major religions) that create and hold the inability to accept and compromise with a different belief systems.

Ali told The Washington Post on Wednesday that he was surprised but not hurt by Gordon’s motion. “It doesn’t bother me at all, as a Republican, as an American, as a Muslim,” he said. “Everyone’s entitled to their view.”
Ali . . . said he sees Republican values as deeply consistent with Muslim values. Both the party and the religion value preserving life, helping the needy and treating all people equally, he said. “I am happy and more stronger than before. I’ll do whatever I can do for the country and the party and the people.”

This Muslim man seems to know better what it means to be an American than these anti-American people who think you should only be a Christian to hold office. What an admirable man.

Some (many, I'm sure) people on ATS will agree with this pastor, and that's part of the larger problem in the country: seeing the nation through a very *narrow* religious (Christian) lens that has little acceptance for *other*, non-Christian religions. It's not even really a partisan lens per se, although a majority in the Republican party seem to predominantly wear those religious glasses and trying to keep their very narrow points of view as the dominant one.

Who are the people doing this? Americans. Who are being the intolerant ones? Americans. Who are trying to shape the country into their OWN biased and theocratic vision? Americans. It's Americans who are hurting, harassing, and trying to oppress these other people—simply because they are not Christian but Muslim—all under the banner of a *Christian* America.

I'm getting tired of all the hate and the ignorance

And I'm getting tired of all the ignorant POS who fuel it. And it's exactly what I was talking about in this thread.

We should be ashamed.

edit on 19-5-2016 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Im an atheist. The fact that most muslims believe that the U.S.A. should have Sharia law maybe one of many reasons that a muslim would be seen as unfit for any office in this country, but they are in office. The muslims have set up mosques and this is country belongs to them now. Its funny that some people say oh muslims are peaceful loving people, ok press one on facts of Sharia and their beliefs and see what You get. That's not being xenophobic that's being xenofactual.
edit on 19-5-2016 by MEDIKATED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: MEDIKATED
Im an atheist. The fact that most muslims believe that the U.S.A. should have Sharia law maybe one of many reasons that a muslim would be seen as unfit for any office in this country, but they are in office. The muslims have set up mosques and this is country belongs to them now. Its funny that some people say oh muslims are peaceful loving people, ok press one on facts of Sharia and their beliefs and see what You get. That's not being xenophobic that's being xenofactual.

Absolutely absurd.

I think around 70% of the country identify as Christian. This country does not "belong" to Muslims. It belongs to all of us.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Is there a Christian requirement for being in Republican party?

No, but like you said... by consensus. So sad.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MEDIKATED

Most Muslims in the US fled religious law...

+4 more 
posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Yes, Muslims "set up" mosques because....they WORSHIP in Mosques.

Who woulda thunk?

Your shortsightedness and ignorance are showing.

Fear-based propaganda.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

What facts show that the majority of muslims in the US want it to be in sharia law?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Absolutely absurd.

I think around 70% of the country identify as Christian. This country does not "belong" to Muslims. It belongs to all of us.

For now. Can't dismiss that certain governments are already bending over backwards to respect Sharia Law.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

The fact? I'm not sure you understand what a "fact," is.

Furthermore, "most Muslims," no? So you know "most Muslims," and exactly what they want and strive for? What percentage of Muslims makes up "most Muslims," as you say?

That's being "xenofactual,"... what?

This country belongs to them... are you serious?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
That's a pretty poor show for this day and so called age of enlightenment. I guess it's because of the dogma that's rife in most religions, and when that dogma is rammed down your throat from day one.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Absolutely absurd.

For now. Can't dismiss that certain governments are already bending over backwards to respect Sharia Law.

And let it be known that, for the most part, most governments do not adequately represent the citizens that live there.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I'm surprised that a Muslim made it that far in Texan Republican politics, seeing how THIS is part of the Texas GOP Platform:

Family Values- We support the affirmation of traditional Judeo-Christian family values and oppose the continued assault on those values.

Religious Freedom in Public Schools- We urge the legislature to end censorship of discussion of religion in our founding documents and encourage discussing those documents, including the Bible as their basis. Students and district personnel have the right to display Christian items on school property.

Traditional Principles in Education- We support school subjects with emphasis on the JudeoChristian principles upon which America was founded and which form the basis of America’s legal, political, and economic systems.

Judeo-Christian Nation- As America is a nation under God, founded on Judeo-Christian principles, we affirm the constitutional right of all individuals to worship as they choose.

There's no room for anyone that isn't Christian or maybe Jewish, that is if they're not too Jewish, in Texas' Grand Old Party.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 11:59 AM
link   

The fact that most muslims believe that the U.S.A. should have Sharia law maybe one of many reasons that a muslim would be seen as unfit for any office in this country, but they are in office.

Polls say otherwise. Most Muslims moved here to get away from the Shariah law of their homelands.

The muslims have set up mosques and this is country belongs to them now.

It no more belongs to them that it does to Christians because they built a church.

Its funny that some people say oh muslims are peaceful loving people, ok press one on facts of Sharia and their beliefs and see what You get.

How about if I told you America is most likely the most Shariah compliant nation on the planet? Everything that Shariah law guarantees Muslims America gives them.

That's not being xenophobic that's being xenofactual.

How is welcoming ignorance factual?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Sorry but a little reading of their own religious text may do you some good. They claim the land as theirs when they set up a mosque.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Everyone agrees constitutionally, its that the muslims don't.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Um hello, are you insane,,,ask one. Sure there are some that don't care about that but ask them don't read propaganda,,ASK THEM ! THATS THE PROBLEM WITH SOME PEOPLE. fRIGGIN ASK THEM ! What, do You want me to post like a million youtube videos of them saying it, that wont teach you anything, some people are politically in denial of reality. DONT ASK ME OR NEW YORK TIMES, ASK A MUSLIM.....Then argue with the muslims about what they believe...............Personally I think all religious people are idiots, but Christians do not claim a country as theirs when they set up a church. That's not in the bible.

edit on 19-5-2016 by MEDIKATED because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Good find.

I guess I *should* amend my OP, since it does appear there is a tacit litmus test for being in the GOP, and spelled out right there in the the Texas GOP platform.

It's openly exclusive, but that's not really surprising.

I wonder if all State GOP platforms say as much. If so, THAT is a huge problem and explains a LOT.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

Absolutely absurd.

Really where? You do know that some governments are allowing them Shariah courts just like they let Jews and other religious sects have their own courts. That isn't bending over backward.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Everyone agrees constitutionally, its that the muslims don't.

Actually just like the Bible Shariah law says that Muslims must abide by the laws of their nation of residence.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Sounds like Mr. Trebor Gordon has a little case of being "jealous of our freedoms!" What an anti-American piece of crap.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join