It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Search For Cures, Scientists Create Embryos That Are Both Animal And Human

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Yet playing God seems like a viable solution? Meh!

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Would you not be playing God by murdering the scientists?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

I just read your piece. You're a prophet!

This can't end well; the temptation to profit from a militarized use is too great and obviously, there's no "ethical" oversight because the research is to diffuse.

This might well be how it all ends.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Yet playing God seems like a viable solution? Meh!

To someone who doesn't believe in god, this statement is read like, "Oh, so you think you're Mr. Fancypants Highandmighty?"

What is God? How do you "play God"? Does this piss God off or something? He wouldn't let us put on his old high heels and clomp around pretending to be him?

What does tht even mean?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

I do not believe that removing a few worthless, non-questioning individuals who have already sold their soul to a Devil (corporate master that makes ALL decisions) and do not care what atrocities they inflict on another being is playing God. It's called humane.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If there is a God, of the Abrahamic variety (I'm guessing that's the one we aren't supposed to be playing), He made humans intelligent so why aren't we supposed to use that intelligence?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

When did God tell you Science was unethical and specifically in the context of the OP?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

If there is a God, of the Abrahamic variety (I'm guessing that's the one we aren't supposed to be playing), He made humans intelligent so why aren't we supposed to use that intelligence?

Who said making animal human hybrids was intelligent? We can irradiate the entire habitable world with nukes, is that intelligent to do so?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Are we making animal human hybrids though? It doesn't seem likely that we will be. What qualifies as a hybrid?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Replace the word God with "we know what we are doing completely" then. Clearer now? All the attempts at cloning, splicing and who knows what else have failed. Dolly the sheep, for example. Are you really trying to tell me we understand enough about the complexities of genetics that we can just start bending it to our will and desires? I hope not...

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
All the attempts at cloning, splicing and who knows what else have failed.

Not at all.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Stop with semantics and start speaking reason. I do not believe in "God" either but do know we know very little about DNA and the repercussions of playing with it. I have nothing against science, just for the record, but playing with some "things" is just wrong because we don't know how it works, completely.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

a reply to: TinfoilTP

Are we making animal human hybrids though? It doesn't seem likely that we will be. What qualifies as a hybrid?

Chimerae. Different thing altogether. You don't have to have a lot of info to make a chimera of SOME sort. The one you want, that's different.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Perhaps the boldest hope is to create farm animals that have human organs that could be transplanted into terminally ill patients.

I think this is as far as it will go, farm animals that grow human organs.

If you really believe that, then I would have to argue that you are kidding yourself in thinking that the human drive to create better things than they did yesterday would cease to exist because we have donkeys that could donate a kidney to a human.

Why wouldn't there be efforts--probably not disclosed to the public--to create human beings with the strength of farm animals? Or the ability to use venom like spiders and reptiles?

I know that it sounds fantastical and nutty, but we're talking about being on the verge of real-life X-men, here, and to put your trust and faith in the governments and the world's scientists to not succumb to such temptation is really turning a blind eye to the potential craziness that could be the fruits of these efforts.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Fair enough. Co0rrection. Many attempts have created more problems than they solve.

/split ha8irs off

Monsanto anyone...?

edit on 19/5/16 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Where do you draw the line? When is something unethical?

What if there is suffering involved in these experiments?

It is amazing as time goes by how willing we are to accept anything.

consciences have been seared

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Perhaps the boldest hope is to create farm animals that have human organs that could be transplanted into terminally ill patients.

I think this is as far as it will go, farm animals that grow human organs.

If you really believe that, then I would have to argue that you are kidding yourself in thinking that the human drive to create better things than they did yesterday would cease to exist because we have donkeys that could donate a kidney to a human.

And while a tailored swine kidney would be a beautiful thing, why stop there when you can make real life bear cavalry?

Or a monkey boy?

If you wanted strong, high endurance, aggressive, obedient agile soldiers with natural weapons like sharp teeth and claws, maybe an innate sense of location, hell, a nice obedient chimera would a sweet way to go. And they don't have families, so they don't have to show up anywhere. If you could do that on demand, what a great way to augment an infantry.
edit on 19-5-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

My questions were specific to the poster I was responding to...

Yes they're different, I don't think humans can even be hybrid.

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   

We don't know everything about DNA but we know a lot and are learning about it now at an accelerated rate. Can you tell me why it's wrong to grow a pig with a human pancreas?

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I don't think humans can even be hybrid.

The French were diddling about with ape/human hybrids at one point long ago, or so I'm told.

But, ape hybrids are so 80s. Why not a chimera with something more lethal? Bear or large cat chimerae, if you could pull it off, well, that would ROCK. At least, militarily.
edit on 19-5-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join